IGNORED

5200 Tempest

Allan

I picked it up and it plays great! I have 'but haven't hooked up yet or tested it' the trackball, and will check that option out when I have time. But I played the hell out of it. Great game. Sounds are good, pretty arcade close, handles good even with the normal controller. Now don't get me wrong, not arcade perfect obviously due to it not being a vector game, but a great port nonetheless. I think any 5200 fan should pick it up. They did a great job finishing the product, you can see the difference between the proto and the finished product. This is what would have been (and would have been nice) had Atari released this back in the day. I mean how cool is this that the original programmer from back in the day picked this project up and actually finished it?!?!? It's not that often to get that kind of dedication for something even 30 years later! Big kudos to Al and Keithan and everyone else involved with this project! Professional packaging, manual and cart as what always comes from AA. Good stuff!

• Like 1

I am on pins and needles waiting to order mine! I'm gonna click that button so fast to buy mine, they'll be flames on my keyboard! ;-)

I'm excited to see this, too. With the sole exception of the forthcoming(?) 800/5200 Cloak & Dagger, I can't think of any other examples of an original Atari programmer returning so many years later to complete an unfinished game. Cheers to Keithen Hayenga and to Dutchman2000 for undertaking this project!

The good thing about Al making the product announcements before the expo is that he'll get lots of sales from it.

The bad thing about Al making the product announcements before the expo is that he'll get lots of sales from it.

I expect he'll be swamped for quite a while once the store re-opens.

No they're two different games. Tempest Extreme is just on the 8-bit computers.

Oh... I've been waiting on the wrong game to be released all this time. My face is red.

I played the Tempest Xtreem demo a while back and was waiting for it to be released, thinking it was this one all along. Maybe I missed out on the A 8-bit one then?

Anyway, what will be the improvements of this one over the prototype? How much has been added, what new features etc?

Oh... I've been waiting on the wrong game to be released all this time. My face is red.

I played the Tempest Xtreem demo a while back and was waiting for it to be released, thinking it was this one all along. Maybe I missed out on the A 8-bit one then?

Anyway, what will be the improvements of this one over the prototype? How much has been added, what new features etc?

5200 Tempest is just an arcade port. No extra features except for maybe choosing between using a track ball or a joystick.

Tempest Extreme is all new levels and a whole bunch of extras. There is a demo of it floating around. You can get it from http://members.tcq.net/video61/compnew.html

http://members.tcq.net/video61/main.html

It is very expensive though, just to warn you.

Allan

How much did it cost you?

Thanks! Chris

I picked it up and it plays great! I have 'but haven't hooked up yet or tested it' the trackball, and will check that option out when I have time. But I played the hell out of it. Great game. Sounds are good, pretty arcade close, handles good even with the normal controller. Now don't get me wrong, not arcade perfect obviously due to it not being a vector game, but a great port nonetheless. I think any 5200 fan should pick it up. They did a great job finishing the product, you can see the difference between the proto and the finished product. This is what would have been (and would have been nice) had Atari released this back in the day. I mean how cool is this that the original programmer from back in the day picked this project up and actually finished it?!?!? It's not that often to get that kind of dedication for something even 30 years later! Big kudos to Al and Keithan and everyone else involved with this project! Professional packaging, manual and cart as what always comes from AA. Good stuff!

I really can't wait for this. I keep checking for a post from Albert or an update in the store. I'm going to have to take a day off and just play this all day as soon as it arrives in the mail. I wanted this game back in the day more than any other game.

Allan

• Like 1

I really can't wait for this. I keep checking for a post from Albert or an update in the store. I'm going to have to take a day off and just play this all day as soon as it arrives in the mail. I wanted this game back in the day more than any other game.

Allan

And this is one of the main reasons we worked so hard on it. I hope you all enjoy it.

• Like 3

And this is one of the main reasons we worked so hard on it. I hope you all enjoy it.

Now that it's done do you care to comment on the whole project? Does Keithen care to share anything? It would be great to hear the whole story about how this came about?

Allan

Two things need to happen before I put Tempest 5200 in the store:

1) I want to build up a small stock of the game to fulfill the initial onslaught of orders.

2) I am moving the store to new, much nicer software. I bought a license to this new software a year ago, but didn't have time to use it. I just renewed the license and will be working on it heavily in the next two weeks.

I will see if I can figure out a good way to take some video of the game. I may need to buy some type of video capture device to do it proper justice (and I have an s-video modified 5200, so I should be able to get some great video and audio).

..Al