IGNORED

Star Trek Online -- Anyone playing it here?

DesertJets

Got a new computer and began playing STO this weekend. Just going through the episodes and doing random exploration here and there. Having fun so far but there is gobs of stuff to figure out before you really know what you are doing.

I poked over to the STO forums and they are a bit of a scary (and whiny) bunch. Having not really played an MMO before I didn't know what to expect, but knowing how forums work I could I shouldn't be surprised.

My username over there is the same as it is here. Currently in a research science vessel named the Philip J. Fry.

I played STO for the first year it was around, and enjoyed it, but finally got tired of it. I may go back to it at some point, I hear they have added on a lot more content.

Honestly don't know how little there was then, but seems like there is a lot to go through and do.

I was always interested, especially when it went free-to-play. I was a big fan of Starfleet Command (the PC game) many years ago, how is the ship combat in Star Trek Online in comparison? The footage looks similar.

Never played SFC, but did have the free demo of Bridge Commander. It is decidedly different from that. I say the space combat works fairly well in that it is easy to figure out. The ground combat isn't too bad either. For better or worse the game seems to rely on buffs and debuffs fairly heavily as you move on. So there isn't much in game strategy as there is setting up and skilling your crew.

Nice thing is that you can just kind of roam about and check out random systems But the meat of the game (at least initially) are the storyline missions. Since I began playing Thursday evening (had to work on Friday, but played more or less a good chunk of Saturday and Sunday) I had completed the Klingon War series, been promoted twice and started the Romulan series.

• 2 weeks later...