IGNORED

Detailing a console (Sylvania)

I recently picked up a cheap Sylvania console MC100. It was really dirty, but otherwise cosmetically in good condition. It was caked in a uniform coating of what I only could imagine was a mixture of chocolate and the grunge that accumulates on the underside of lawn mowers. The good news is that I have successfully completed phase 1, disassembling it into hundreds of pieces :-o I got most of it cleaned up, but this is my first attempt at taking one apart. Ironically I have done this to Atari 2600s and a Colecovision, but never an Intellivision.

So the only thing I have left are the controllers and they are gross. I completely disassembled them and cleaned up most of the outer plastic parts, but I'm not sure how to tackle the actual functional plastic/gold circuit board. The outer plastic piece with the actual numbers was pretty durable, but I don't want to screw up the circuit board. Can I clean this with soap and water, or should I dry dust it. I'd really like to soap and water it. Thoughts? Any "pitfalls" I need to watch out for when reassembling?

I cleaned the contacts in the inner plastic pieces with a q-tip and a high percentage isopropyl alcohol on mine. Be very careful not to spread the layers too wide as you don't want to crack the fold on the side. There are probably better ways, but this worked for me.

Update: I reassembled the console and it works mostly great. I fixed the non-working reset button (Oh, yeah....the reset button didn't work). I used a Q-tip to clean the Electronic membrane in the Player 1 controller. It cleaned up well and didn't look like it was cracked or broken. I only cleaned one controller and after reassembly it didn't work, but the dirty Player 2 controller works fine. I'm going to try to take it apart and reassemble it in case I missed something. Here's hoping...

Jason you should be ok dunking those membranes into soap and water and carefully wiping them clean...I've done a few that way. Obviously use something that doesn't leave a film behind. I just have to get them nice and clean for peace of mind. As mentioned before, just take care not to create problems by folding back too much. If they can't stand a good clean they are probably on their last legs anyway!

So the circuit board on the player 2 controller was bad. I tried a bunch of troubleshooting combinations and finally ended up swapping the circuit board from a 2609 console.

I really wish I had taken a before shot, but here she is all clean and in working order. Now if I could only find a box ;)

Sylvania console

Wow! Perhaps I should try that. It looks brand new!!!

When I received my first Master Component, it had some caked-in gunk. I did my best to remove it by using alcohol, water, soap, Q-tips, towels, and lots of effort, and it came out rather nice. However there were some crevices that I couldn't get to, and it certainly did not result in a sparkling, shiny console like yours!

Amazing!

-dZ.

I spent like 10 hours between testing, cleaning, and swapping out parts. Eventually I plan to replace the direction discs.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but has anyone looked into making a decent quality gold replacement sticker for the direction pad? They would sell like hotcakes (golden flapjacks?).

Thanks for the positive comments. I might try to tackle my other primary consoles later to make them all shine inside and out. Lot's of work, but I love the way they look when clean!

I spent like 10 hours between testing, cleaning, and swapping out parts. Eventually I plan to replace the direction discs.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but has anyone looked into making a decent quality gold replacement sticker for the direction pad? They would sell like hotcakes (golden flapjacks?).

Thanks for the positive comments. I might try to tackle my other primary consoles later to make them all shine inside and out. Lot's of work, but I love the way they look when clean!

i believe there is nos replacements from sears running around somewhere