IGNORED

I hate to rag on Sony, but...

shadow460

Their systems just don't last! I've been through four of them now, not counting the ones I used for parts. I've got a couple of PS2 systems with the same problems: dead lasers. I had a PSP die on me for no reason at all. By contrast, I can fire up the Saturn or the Dreamcast and they both load on the very first try. I've had the same Saturn since 1997 and I've never had a Dreamcast die. I can load up any cart based system on the first or second try, too. Is it me or are Sony systems really so much more prone to technical problems?

I've got a good solution for my PS2 games with hard drives in the systems, but that leaves me no way to play PS1 games at all unless I can find a good emulator. There's gonna come the day when I wanna get into FF7 or 8, but seriously, I think I'm gonna go with the PC versions of those and leave the PS1 versions on the shelf. I also think it's time for me to wind down my PS1 collecting because I won't be able to play the games reliably.

Today my 7000 series PS1 didn't wanna play smooth videos, so I got out the 1000 series unit and the disc spindle flew apart while it was running. All this after I just got through bragging about how good the PSP is as a media player. :mad:

/rant Sorry, I just had to vent. Rich's PSX Parts will be getting a call this week.

Their systems just don't last! I've been through four of them now, not counting the ones I used for parts. I've got a couple of PS2 systems with the same problems: dead lasers. I had a PSP die on me for no reason at all. By contrast, I can fire up the Saturn or the Dreamcast and they both load on the very first try. I've had the same Saturn since 1997 and I've never had a Dreamcast die. I can load up any cart based system on the first or second try, too. Is it me or are Sony systems really so much more prone to technical problems?

I've got a good solution for my PS2 games with hard drives in the systems, but that leaves me no way to play PS1 games at all unless I can find a good emulator. There's gonna come the day when I wanna get into FF7 or 8, but seriously, I think I'm gonna go with the PC versions of those and leave the PS1 versions on the shelf. I also think it's time for me to wind down my PS1 collecting because I won't be able to play the games reliably.

Today my 7000 series PS1 didn't wanna play smooth videos, so I got out the 1000 series unit and the disc spindle flew apart while it was running. All this after I just got through bragging about how good the PSP is as a media player. :mad:

/rant Sorry, I just had to vent. Rich's PSX Parts will be getting a call this week.

My experience has been quite the opposite.

Four problematic Dreamcasts and 2 Saturns. All my Playstations (PSX, PSONE and PS2) are still running w/o a problem. I'm on my 4th XBOX 360... but we won't go there :-)

All CD based systems reliability sucks Donkey Kongs. I've had two DreamCasts wear out. Three PS2s. Four PSXs. I never use the UMD part of the PSP after backup up my media but I've gone through 3 of those through wear.

I don't consider any of these systems classic gaming though. My Atari 2600jr *just* started to have joystick port problems.

I suppose I'm not as heavy of a gamer as some of you.

The only Sony console I've had trouble with was the original ($300 launch price) Playstation (1) model, SCPH-1001 model, with the RCA composite jacks on the back. This well-known piece of crap is sometimes called "The Audiophile," by people with bionic ears and oscilloscopes for brains. I call it "junk." I'm aware of the PS2 laser problems, but my 2nd-model # "fat" PS2 (SCPH-39001) was bought new and HAS seen quite a bit of use, particularly since DVD players were kind of expensive back then. I haven't had a problem, although the disc tray is noisier now than when it was new. Is this PS2 "fat" laser problem the same in all "fat" models, or worse with the ORIGINAL "fat" SCPH-30001 launch model? It seems I've heard of this more with the SCPH-30001.

Only other problem I've had is Sega Genesis (model 2) power jack needed re-soldering.

Perhaps I'm lucky.

Edited by wood_jl

The early model PS1s and PS2s were kinda cheaply made to keep costs down since Sony was already losing money on each unit sold. I seriously wouldn't touch a used model unless it was next to nothing to buy. The slim models of the PS1 and PS2 on the otherhand seem to be much more durable and probably have much less wear and tear since they came out at the end of the lifespans.

• Like 1

I had so many PS1's die on me I gave up. If it wasn't the disc drive / laser, it was memory cards (Sony Brand) losing everything.

PS2s generally also always ate it. I have a slim PS2 that I got semi recently brand new, and it's been good, thank goodness. Not even interested in the PS3.

Still have my launch day Dreamcast, has never failed or frozen even one time. I have about 30 games for it, it has gotten more play than maybe any game system I've ever had and it never has faltered.

I had a Saturn from launch day that bit it after 10 or so years of heavy play.

The 360s were complete garbage until they found the "fix". I don't know what they did, but after a certain point I heard they'd perfected solving the ring of death, and sure enough, I've had my most recent of three 360's for...3? 4? years now with no troubles.

And I don't know if I've ever heard a story that I believe of a Gamecube or Wii dying. Those mofos just seem completely solid. And I'm not even a fan of the GC really, only two or three games for it I'd ever care about. But they're well made.

I'm not buying any more Sony systems. I just spent four hours scrweing with my Slim PSP trying to get a camera peripheral to work with it. It wanted a different version of firmware, so I went from 5.50 GEN-D3 to 6.20 something or other and it decided not to play any of my games. I won't use the UMD drive for games, either, due to wear issues on the other systems. the 6.20 firmware won't play iso games, so it's now going back to 5.00 M33 for a while.

I managed to corrupt the EEPROM in one of my batteries in the process, and I STILL can't get the games I spent my hard earned money on to load... on either unit! This is why I love my Lynx...

Sony video games = junk, junk, junk!

See, I have purchased used systems of all kinds that had both disk and cartridge media types. I've never seen any system so prone to drive failures as the PS1. I've seen SCPH-1001, 5501, 7001, and probably some other models with the same thing: the laser is worn out. I've got a 20 year old LaserActive in there and a Saturn that's almost that old and neither of them even break a sweat to play games. I've got a 30 year old VCS that's loaded up within 10 seconds every single time... after 30 years. I've got Game Boy systems that have had who knows what spilled in them and after a good cleaning, they work every single time. The only thing I know a Sony system is gonna do every single time is make me try over and over to get a game loaded.

With that, I'm through with 'em. I'm going to finish out a handful of games on my want list and then I'm not going to collect anything from Sony any more, and I will certainly not be buying any of their new systems.

Edited by shadow460

I had so many PS1's die on me I gave up. If it wasn't the disc drive / laser, it was memory cards (Sony Brand) losing everything.

PS2s generally also always ate it. I have a slim PS2 that I got semi recently brand new, and it's been good, thank goodness. Not even interested in the PS3.

Still have my launch day Dreamcast, has never failed or frozen even one time. I have about 30 games for it, it has gotten more play than maybe any game system I've ever had and it never has faltered.

I had a Saturn from launch day that bit it after 10 or so years of heavy play.

The 360s were complete garbage until they found the "fix". I don't know what they did, but after a certain point I heard they'd perfected solving the ring of death, and sure enough, I've had my most recent of three 360's for...3? 4? years now with no troubles.

And I don't know if I've ever heard a story that I believe of a Gamecube or Wii dying. Those mofos just seem completely solid. And I'm not even a fan of the GC really, only two or three games for it I'd ever care about. But they're well made.

They fixed most of the 360 problems with the Jasper revision. This was the last release of the original form factor until the slim came out. Don't remember what was changed.

I bought a late-model PlayStaton console used in 2004. I used it regularly until 2008 when I bought a new, slim PS 2 -- which I still use today.

I have not had any problems with either console; though I did buy a PSOne and another slim PS 2 as "backup" systems when they went on clearance sales.

Think I'm gonna go ahead and order that laser unit in a few, and then try to get both PSPs on 5.50 GEN D3 until I can find a newer CFW that allows me to play my games. For the record, I don't pirate my PSP games. I wanna still be able to venture into Vintage Stock, find a game or two in there, then rip them and enjoy the faster load times offered by the memory stick. My memory sticks and my PSP shelf are definitely both full, and they will stay like that!

On a side note, it's not just the Sony game systems -- I used to buy tons of Sony stuff in the 80's and 90's. TV's, VCR's, Steros, Walkman's, etc....they were all solid, well built, and great stuff.

Now, I stay away from all of their stuff. Too expensive and a history of problems.

It's more a case of issues with the company, I'd say.

Back in the day the PS1 was made, Sony equipment would take a TON of abuse up front and still work. It was never the absolute greatest quality, but it was good and no matter what you did to it, it would still work just as good as it was before it was traumatized. It doesn't stand the test of time, though. Put 10 years on that same Walkman or PS1, and it's trash after that.

I chose Panasonic stuff back then if they made what I was buying. I've got some of their stuff that I purchased back then that still works like it did on day 1.

We'll see in a few days when the new laser unit comes in how well it works. I'm hoping for the best.

I've only had problems with one Sony system: the PS2. That's my current unit that seems to take a long time to recognize discs, and that's likely only because I bought it used at a thrift shop (when I got it, it was caked with dirt). The several units I've owned new out of the box personally never had problems.

While the PS2 was notorious for breaking (I think it was the most notorious until the original 360 models arrived), all CD-based consoles have issues for one reason or another. I've heard of people having Saturn issues, and while the Dreamcast has been a pretty reliable system for me, I've heard a lot of people complaining about defects with those as well.

I've only had problems with one Sony system: the PS2. That's my current unit that seems to take a long time to recognize discs, and that's likely only because I bought it used at a thrift shop (when I got it, it was caked with dirt). The several units I've owned new out of the box personally never had problems.

While the PS2 was notorious for breaking (I think it was the most notorious until the original 360 models arrived), all CD-based consoles have issues for one reason or another. I've heard of people having Saturn issues, and while the Dreamcast has been a pretty reliable system for me, I've heard a lot of people complaining about defects with those as well.

The problem I have had with the Dreamcast are the controller ports going bad. That happened to my sports model. I have another spare regular for parts, but the swap does not look like to be a trivial fix.

Edited by cybercylon