IGNORED

Value/Interest Check: Complete US Sega Master System Collection

ARCZero

I have a cartridge complete US Sega Master System collection and was wondering what a realistic value for it is. Most of the games are boxed/complete. Buster Douglas Boxing is minty but loose. I have the 3D imager variant of the console boxed/complete.

On eBay someone is listing their collection for $5K but that doesn't seem realistic. What are your thoughts?

I'm looking to slim down the space my collection takes up and focus on higher end items. I'm looking for Panesian NES games, Stadium Events, AdventureVision, pricey SNES games, and similar items. It would need to be an equitable trade both ways.

Thanks for looking!

Most that would want it, would be in the position of selling duplicates, since collectors usually have collected some games already. Due to this, "lots" go for less money, than parting it out. To maximize income, selling them one at a time is best. I know that SMS is hot right now. When a thread of SMS games goes up around here, they sell out very quickly. Trades are a great way to go as well, as you suggested.

Is your Sonic 1 a blue label?

I know that SMS is hot right now.

:-/ I think pretty much everything is hot right now. Well, that is, erm... except for... hmmm :(

yeah I think pretty much everything video games is hot right now. Except for NES super commons. Like MLB baseball. and sports games for various consoles. Those aren't hot either are they? I mean... we're talking EA games.

I don't think it's the blue label that matters, it's the box. If you have the US box for Sonic it's a significant difference in price.

Overall the price for a set can range. Not having a box for Buster hurts a lot as it is the second most valuable game. Also, what you have boxed/loose matters as does condition.

The specifics always matter in these cases. A "mostly complete" complete set loses a lot of value on Sms since you get the boxes and manuals most of the time.

I'm not sure if Sonic 1 is blue or not - its packed in the garage. What's the difference?

I don't think it's the blue label that matters, it's the box. If you have the US box for Sonic it's a significant difference in price.

Overall the price for a set can range. Not having a box for Buster hurts a lot as it is the second most valuable game. Also, what you have boxed/loose matters as does condition.

The specifics always matter in these cases. A "mostly complete" complete set loses a lot of value on Sms since you get the boxes and manuals most of the time.

The cartridge color and box can both make a difference depending on the collectors goals :)

Like Conrad said though, basically you want the NTSC one for the big bucks.

The "story" that I have heard is basically they made way more PAL format sonics for the sega master system then demand required overseas, so (since the system is basically region free) they just shipped the left over stock to the USA instead of making more NTSC ones, making a true NTSC sonic pretty rare and valuable and a PAL format one more common :)

I know, it sounds dumb that a barcode on a box makes that much difference but welcome to the world of serious collecting :)

I would figure out which one you have before you sell it ;)