IGNORED

ROMOX ECPC Cartridge

NWArchivist

Necro Bump from Hades... :)

I had a VIC-20 ROMOX cartridge, still in the plastic bubble and cardboard package. I donated it to the National Videogame Museum in Frisco, TX.

They now have the ROMOX programming station, but it's in rough shape. It's being restored and I've donated a motherboard, floppy controller, and power supply (It's based on an original IBM PC) towards the restoration. They sent the hard drive off and had all the data copied off before even powering it up.

I'm helping to repair one of the proprietary cards in it that has damage from a leaking NiCd.

If you have cartridges that you don't know what to do with, ping John Hardie. I believe his handle here is CX2K.

Edited by channelmaniac
add info
  • Like 3

The system had a drawer on the back right side that you opened, placed the PCB from the cartridge inside, then closed and activated. It was a UV lamp that would erase the ROM while you went shopping. When done, you plugged the cartridge in, chose what game you wanted, and had it written to the now blank cartridge. You paid for the game code (cheaper than a whole cartridge) and went home to play.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
On 10/14/2014 at 12:30 PM, Atari8bitCarts said:

I tried him via linked in, no return response. I had provided a few of the titles I had, some listed on his former website. One that he had listed was his title, copyrighted and designed, yet it had someone else's credits on it. (Castle and Keys)

I believe Tim just did the art for these titles. Topper was programmed and designed by my father while Castle and Keys was by my uncle. I unfortunately can’t ask him much about the game as he passed away a couple years ago. From what I know they made the games at home and then mailed them off to Romox and they handled the rest.

11 hours ago, CrazyCowMM said:

I believe Tim just did the art for these titles. Topper was programmed and designed by my father while Castle and Keys was by my uncle. I unfortunately can’t ask him much about the game as he passed away a couple years ago.

Sorry to hear.  Topper is one of my favorite Q*bert clones.  So I assume Myron Meier is/was your father and Marlan is/was your uncle, or is it the other way around?

11 hours ago, CrazyCowMM said:

From what I know they made the games at home and then mailed them off to Romox and they handled the rest.

Yes, Ed Fries did a few games for them and described a similar development process.  He only spoke with the Romox people over the phone and then sent them stuff via modem.  I don't think he ever actually met Tim or anyone else in person.