IGNORED

10-17-2012 Found Air Raid with original box

AIR-RAID

I keep seeing mention of a third box? Is this confirmed? Who has it?

Very cool that they found the insturctions! I think this could go just as high as the last one.

If I remember right years ago before they even knew the games name 100% some dude said he had the box and told everyone the name of the game. I think the guy was never heard from again or something after that so I guess it was never confirmed.

If anyone remembers this or knows what really happened I would like to know. I'm just going off of my bad memory.

If I remember right years ago before they even knew the games name 100% some dude said he had the box and told everyone the name of the game. I think the guy was never heard from again or something after that so I guess it was never confirmed.

If anyone remembers this or knows what really happened I would like to know. I'm just going off of my bad memory.

I just did a few searches. Sorry, no links, but search for Air Raid plus sylabyss or pitfall harry for a good start.

I am taken back and very excited that an Atari Community with so many serious collectors and people that just have love for the games exist. This is another surprise bonus that my daughter and I have been introduced to. We thank you for all your excitement and support not only for us but for another piece of Atari history. We both really hope all of you trying to find more history about this game and the mysteries surrounding it were excited to find the address of the company on the front of the manual. But most of all that it is in Los Angeles. I hope this answers some of the questions you have had and been searching for. We both feel very humble to be part of this. Thanks again for everything.

Edited by AIR-RAID
  • Like 4

I just did a few searches. Sorry, no links, but search for Air Raid plus sylabyss or pitfall harry for a good start.

ok I remember that it was first discussed in the old news groups that people used years ago. You know the ones everyone used before pretty forums like this started popping up. But all i know is there was some debate as to what the game was actually called since it was no where on the cart or no where seen when playing the game. Some how someone new the games name and said he had the box but was never heard from again.

I'm sure someone here knows what I'm talking about and can clarify. But what would really be nice is if all the steps or pieces of the puzzle that have been uncovered over the years could be documented and archived. From when the game was first found (cart only) to finding out it's name, first box discovered, and now first manual to ever appear. Plus all the other info that has come to light.

Hmmm, I wonder what's more financially lucrative: Going back to 1982 and buying an Air Raid cart, or going back to 1982 and buying a share of Microsoft? Then I simply ride my Delorean back to 2012 and sell it!

I think just the "going back in time" part would trump both of them. :-D

• Like 1

I am taken back and very excited that an Atari Community with so many serious collectors and people that just have love for the games exist. This is another surprise bonus that my daughter and I have been introduced to. We thank you for all your excitement and support not only for us but for another piece of Atari history. We both really hope all of you trying to find more history about this game and the mysteries surrounding it were excited to find the address of the company on the front of the manual. But most of all that it is in Los Angeles. I hope this answers some of the questions you have had and been searching for. We both feel very humble to be part of this. Thanks again for everything.

So many elements from this particular scenario of finding this game seem so eerily similar to me. I wish I could elaborate on that and say more, but I can't really. Maybe someday in the future.

But alas, I will say, congratulations. Enjoy the moment as it is indeed very special and the fond memory will far outweigh the cash for years to come.

This is an awesome discovery! I've always had secret hopes of finding something like this hidden away in a box somewhere. It truly is like finding treasure! :)

Now that the address of Men-A-Vision is known, it's entirely possible that we could track down the creators if they're still alive. It'd be interesting to get their thoughts on it.

No, thank you.

Even though I have no hope of purchasing your Air Raid game, this is all nevertheless very exciting to me. If somebody had asked me just a few weeks (or heck, DAYS) ago what I thought the odds were of another boxed Air Raid turning up, I'd have said "pretty slim." And if somebody had asked me what I thought the odds were that an Air Raid instruction booklet would surface, I'd have said something to the effect of "no chance." And then you and your daughter come along and blow all of that out of the water. :-D

You didn't have to come here. You didn't have to take the time to share so much with us. You could have just dangled it in front of us, saying "look what I have," and left it at that. But you did come here, and thanks to you and your daughter, we've learned things about this rarity that we, in all likelihood, would never have known otherwise. That contribution is as valuable to us as the game itself.

On another note, I love the way you handled the revealing of the instruction manual. Dropping the clue on here and leaving us to speculate before revealing it at the end of the auction page...for me, it was like the director of a highly anticipated movie slipping a hint about a crucial and world-changing plot point to the press. And then we see the movie on opening night, and it's bigger and more thrilling than most of us expected!

• Like 1

So many elements from this particular scenario of finding this game seem so eerily similar to me. I wish I could elaborate on that and say more, but I can't really. Maybe someday in the future.

But alas, I will say, congratulations. Enjoy the moment as it is indeed very special and the fond memory will far outweigh the cash for years to come.

Sounds like the X-Files... solve one mystery, but add two more. ;)

I took at stab at transcribing the instruction manual. The items in brackets are my best guesses. Here's what I came up with for page 1:

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Connect your Atari VCS or Sears Telegames

using the [manufacturer's instructions]

2. With your Men-A-Vision Air Raid game you will

use only your left joystick

3. Making sure that the [system] is off, insert the

cartridge into your VCS or Telegames

4. Switch power on

5. Select the game of your [...illegible...] the eight

available games [...illegible...] level of

difficulty by using the [select] switch

6. Pressing the red button will get the [...illegible...]

started

7. Your points are scored as follows:

Large Enemy Airship.........................[1??] pts

Smaller Enemy Airship.........................[??] pts

Jet Plane..............................................[??] pts

Helicopter.............................................[??] pts

You have three (3) airships to get as many points

as possible. Once your three ships are destroyed

the game is over. If you can manage to get 1000

points, you will get another ship, and [same] for

every additional 1000 points.

Edited by BassGuitari

My stab at a manual transcription, Page 2:

AIR RAID

Air Raid is a single player action game that is

designed to play on the Atari Video Computer

Systems or the Sears Telegames.

You are the only available patrol airship to watch

over the City. Reduced taxes [has] caused a major

decrease in military spending. Because of this, the

Military High Command only wants those of excep-

tional ability to operate the few remaining airships.

You must perform an impossible task, that of destroy-

ing any enemy ships before they have a chance to

destroy you or before they make 12 direct hits on

your buildings. Any 12 hits on a building will reduce it

to rubble. When all the buildings are destroyed, the

game is over.

Just for the fun of it, you can rack up quite a score

before the inevitable happens. You can even be

somewhat of a hero by adding to your fleet one

airship for every 1000 points.

Good luck commander, the City is in your hands!

Edited by BassGuitari

I wonder if Tanman knows. I'm going to guess no since he hasn't shown up. Somebody who has his number, Albert or wonder I'm sure at least used to have it, should call him up and tell him to check in. Maybe seeing a picture of the manual will jog his memory about what happened to his manual.

That's half the fun of this hobby. You never know what's going to turn up next. One day a boxed Air Raid shows up, the next day someone opens the door to a warehouse full of NOS Air Raids. What's the other half of the fun? lol, playing the games, of course!

To the owners: Thanks for sharing with us!

One thing you haven't addressed yet - is whether you are willing to let Wonder007 meet with you and confirm it?