IGNORED

10-17-2012 Found Air Raid with original box

AIR-RAID

It's possible that the one on ebay is the rumored first boxed copy found (see this post). The auction mentions that he acquired someone's collection in a storage unit auction. He also has other rare games listed.

Pitfall Harry's post mentions that the owner ultimately left the hobby and was no longer interested. It's possible that he disowned the storage unit that Air Raid was in (not even knowing that Air Raid was in the storage unit).

I had the exact same thought, Wickey. I'll bet you anything this is that rumored 'first box' and the person just happened to think about it due to the press that the GG auction was getting.

Thats what I heard too. It could have been a one off promotional idea or perhaps a case of wishful thinking ;)

If it was stated to be a gatefold box, I'd have to say "wishful thinking", as unless this person had a prototype box of some sort, it's extremely doubtful that there would be two entirely different style of boxes for a game that was obviously produced in low numbers.

..Al

• Like 1

The seller lucked into buying a storage unit and found someone's well looked after CIB Atari 2600 collection; I love these type of collector's ;-) They are the ones like myself who never through the box/instructions away; had to have everything perfect. Yes, you could think perhaps a fake, but not with all the other stuff that is about to be put up for auction. This is someone's loved collection. Would have loved to seen this sold as one lot! Cheers, FB

• Like 1

Here is some insight why people suspect it to be genuine. It's the funky powder blue T shaped cart. People can fake boxes, but it's much harder to fake the cart.

For a brief moment, I had thought about purchasing some baby blue spray paint, but the risk of totally ruining the cart was just too great. My PVC handle mod would make some great looking custom repros...

Very interesting to see another boxed copy show up on eBay. I think it's healthy to be skeptical of this new copy--after all, we've gone 30 years and suddenly in the lsat two years we've seen three boxed copies of this game appear.

That's what people thought about Cheetahmen II until damn Etler found that shit ton. I mean, still hella rare, but I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere out there there's a box of these waiting to flood. I mean, hey now, isn't the NTSC Mangia rarer anyway? There are what, only 8 known copies out there?

Rarities always come in bunches, Fox. Same thing happened with Music Machine boxed. The one on Gamegavel is still the nicest looking one though (plus the instruction manual).

I wonder if Men-A-Vision cheaped out and didn't include the instruction manual with the retail version?

Or wonder this...perhaps this was Men-A-Vision's plan after all. Years ago, they knew, they knew fools would buy a totally shitty game for tens of thousands. I got a feeling these clowns are behind this treachery.

• Like 1

If it was stated to be a gatefold box, I'd have to say "wishful thinking", as unless this person had a prototype box of some sort, it's extremely doubtful that there would be two entirely different style of boxes for a game that was obviously produced in low numbers.

..Al

Maybe the "gatefold box" rumor resulted from someone trying to remember what they'd seen? When the cartridge is sitting in the interior tray it does look a little like a gatefold box with the flap open. It's definitely not the standard drop-in style.

• Like 1

I know if "I" was some kinda collector/hoarder that happened on a box of these at some point in time, I'd be sitting on them until I knew the market was at it's peak.

After seeing "ONE" sell for 30K I wouldn't want to flood the market with them, that would destroy the value.

This third copy could be from someone sitting on a pile (a pile being maybe 10-20), willing to let one "go" to test the waters while another is up for auction for sake of getting a "while another is available" value.

Not every hoarder is a crackpot like TV would make you believe.

But moreso, I'm a skeptic, I don't believe anything anyone has to say when they are selling something.

I'm leaning towards reproductions and whatnot.

If a 4th copy turns up in box within the next 30 days I'm calling repro on this and counting myself glad that I buy games I want to play not games that are "uber rare"

*EDIT* By "I'm calling repro on this" I don't mean the OP, I'm referring to all the 'extra' copies that turn up in box. I truly believe the OP and that their copy is legit, I just mean the second one posted to eBAY recently and a possible 3rd boxed copy that I believe will surface within 30 days.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

Forgive my ignorance, but how does a repro exist of this game, exactly? Did someone scan the box years ago? I'm just finding it hard to beleive something so elusive would have all of its artwork out there for someone to use to make a copy that replicates every detail so precisely. With something like Stadium Events on NES people at least have the less rare PAL version to work off of for art, so doubting copies of that that come out makes sense, but for this game the only like 1 confirmed boxed copy before these recent two wasn't ever scanned....was it?

Definetily Tawain! I do think a few US guys were behind it though...

My thoughts -

A few guys (or maybe even one) from the US with a little business experience and an idea to get in on the atari craze had an idea to make an atari game. They had a guy in the US make the cartridge shells (I tend to believe the mold story in the original boxed air raid topic) they were made blue because it was a sample run of 25 and the contracted guy used left over plastic from a run of baby formula lids. He was never paid for his work because he made the handle shaft 1" and not 1/10" like it was supposed to be, the guys son did say he was known to make mistakes like this.

The guys from the US found a company in Taiwan to program the game. When the games were completed and ready for sale they contacted a smaller distribution company (someone that handled smaller company games, this guy says the rep had Cosmic swarm and some others..) and handed over the 25 samples for distribution, in hopes of a large order being placed and then production would start.

The game flopped, nobody wanted it and no more where ever made. The investors moved on and forgot all about it, who knows, they could be self made millionaires from some other idea that DID work and couldn;t care less about a 30k atari game anymore :)

If true about the mold, that would mean 25 Air Raids were made..

I'd say it was the other way around. I just cant see US entrepreneurs calling their new venture "MenAvision", but I can see the Taiwanese do it easily. Afterall, there's Funvision, Ultravision, Spacevision, Supervision, Omegavision etc that the Taiwanese have come up with. Then there's the terrible spelling on the box. If US locals had commissioned the game, they would have provided the wording for the box and instructions. I'm pretty sure that the game was programmed in Taiwan, the box was printed in Taiwan. the carts may have been made locally, and they definately used a Californian premanent establishment and sales force to sell door to door. It obviously didnt work, and they returned with Zimag and did everything locally (except program the crappy games).

• Like 2

I just mean the second one posted to eBAY recently and a possible 3rd boxed copy that I believe will surface within 30 days.

No way is the boxed copy on eBay a fake. Have you looked at all his other auctions? It was obviously a stash from someone who collected or who "bought one copy of each game to keep" back in the 1980s.

Peace,

Chip

• Like 1

No way is the boxed copy on eBay a fake. Have you looked at all his other auctions? It was obviously a stash from someone who collected or who "bought one copy of each game to keep" back in the 1980s.

Peace,

Chip

Yep, this is the reply I had from the ebay Air Raid auction:

>>>>>>>>I buy storage lien auctions ( have for 25 years) This locker was a 10 x 25 and the guy had this stuff stored since the early 1980's. ( 30 years ) ( I have around 250 atari games , 9 Full Size Arcade games from the 1950's (having a blast with them. Records, 8 track tapes, beer lights, stereo equipment and all of this stuff is vintage. So that is what I am sorting but it is memory lane. Thanks Lisa and Bob<<<<<<<<<<<<<