IGNORED

10-17-2012 Found Air Raid with original box

AIR-RAID

The origins of this game have been very difficult to figure out. Here is the current theory I've been mulling on:

It appears to be clear that whoever was responsible for the game was in the Los Angeles area. Unfortunately, they did not register the company name "Men-A-Vision", or any variant, with the secretary of state, like a legitimate company would have. It is possible this is a DBA (Doing Business As), which in California are filed with the counties. The databases that are available online only list active names, so it would require a manual search in some archive which could be a dead end.

The number on the side "M707", is very strange for a product number when there is only one game released from this company, as far as we know. It must hold some kind of meaning to the person responsible. When I search for the number in the L.A. area the place I get the most hits is U.C.L.A. There are some courses with that number as well as a lot of telephone numbers that are (xxx) 707-xxxx and a christian club called element 707, that meets Tuesdays at 7:07 p.m.

Maybe this game comes from a student or students at that school. They get a copy of Space Jockey and get the code from the Rom, and then modify it to make Air Raid. The engineering department helps in the development of the unique cartridge. The school has some contacts with Taiwan and the individuals figure out how to get some manufactured. When the initial order arrives, they can't find anyone willing to take the inventory as the market is crashing, so they sell whatever they have to the discount chain Tuesday Morning.

It feels like whoever is behind it was inexperienced in proper business procedures, which might fit with a college student. I certainly would not know what to do when I was that age.

• Like 1

A bad idea, sale value wise. And I am glad you are also thinking about things other than value; it is is refreshing.

Thank You Chuck

I was not brought up that way. I remember growing up my father had every video game console and game ever made. He LOVES video games. He has been collecting stand up acrade games since the 70's. And we learned to love and respect them as kids. We had to treat every game we had as if it was the only one. It was always so awesome to go to game auctions or peoples houses to find and bring home the game that he had been looking for.

Incredible find !!

I loved the video, very emotional and few shaky hands, hahaha, congrats !

YES very emotional !!! After I turned off my phone we couldn’t stop crying. It was like nothing we have ever experienced before and definitely will never again. It was a GREAT DAY!

Thank You Chuck

I was not brought up that way. I remember growing up my father had every video game console and game ever made. He LOVES video games. He has been collecting stand up acrade games since the 70's. And we learned to love and respect them as kids. We had to treat every game we had as if it was the only one. It was always so awesome to go to game auctions or peoples houses to find and bring home the game that he had been looking for.

Great to hear this.

By looking at the condition of the games in the video, I can tell that your father takes good care for his games, which is heartwarming to see.

8)

• Like 1

YES very emotional !!! After I turned off my phone we couldn’t stop crying. It was like nothing we have ever experienced before and definitely will never again. It was a GREAT DAY!

Yep, you hit the jackpot, and then some. The other Air Raid box is nowhere near as in good condition as this one. It's rare for any rare item to be in this good of shape. Big time congrats! Should be interesting to see what this one will go for should you decide to sell it.

Doesn't quite look as nice as mine or Rick's Air Raid box, but very very nice. Congrats.

Also, anyone that believes there are only 20 copies, you are out of your mind. Nobody creates such an elaborate cartridge mold, box insert and full color box and only makes 20 copies.

• Like 2

Congratulations bloke! Please keep us all informed about what you do with this. A candid diary of events unfolding like this is a very, very rare thing indeed. And we're all geeky enough around here to care about EVERY detail! :)

Just to play Devil's Advocate here, that's what the seller of the last one probably thought. :-D But hey, for all we know, it's true.

I'm inclined to agree. :)

I appreciate that you seem to have an interest in this beyond the monetary value of the game. You care about the story of it, and you strike me as someone who cares about what happens to it after it leaves your hands. With most people, they find this old stuff in their parents' attic or wherever and they come here with dollar signs in their eyes. Usually their stuff is worth nowhere near what they thought and they're never heard from again, but when it IS (and more), the whole thing becomes a circus. Not that there's anything wrong with trying to get a little money, but it's refreshing (as Chuck said) to see that you're motivated by other considerations than money alone. :thumbsup:

And I'll chime in with everybody else here in regards to splitting up the cartridge and box: DON'T DO IT!

No I was brought up loving video games and I know what this means to have found this game. Thank you I am motivated by the love I have for my father and he is motivated by the history he has with this game ! Thank you for understanding and noticing the respect we have for this situation.

I like the fact that there are 4 storage boxes shown in the video, but you didn't have to go through all of them to find the Air Raid. No Murphy's Law this time.

And I really thought we were going to have to :-0 I dont think we would have cared if we did have to go through all four the rush was amazing !!!!! There is nothing better than a treasure hunt. Like some one else said you can see my father was shaking. ;-)

Doesn't quite look as nice as mine or Rick's Air Raid box, but very very nice. Congrats.

Also, anyone that believes there are only 20 copies, you are out of your mind. Nobody creates such an elaborate cartridge mold, box insert and full color box and only makes 20 copies.

CPUWIZ is being sarcastic. Besides this one, only one is known to exist, and the other is rumored to exist by Terry Rutt. Already mentioned. This is probably the best condition box that will ever exist for this game.

P.S. He might have a reproduction of the box. That I don't doubt.

Edited by homerwannabee
  • Like 1

I think with all the exposure that the recent Red Sea Crossing auction got, there would have been no greater advantage to having it on eBay and Gamegavel waived all fees for that auction. That auction was featured on every major gaming site and I havent heard of any heavy hitters that missed the boat because it was on Gamegavel

I think with all the exposure that the recent Red Sea Crossing auction got, there would have been no greater advantage to having it on eBay and Gamegavel waived all fees for that auction. That auction was featured on every major gaming site and I havent heard of any heavy hitters that missed the boat because it was on Gamegavel

Might even be able to avoid the IRS with game gavel....then again I suppose paypal would get you.