IGNORED

10-17-2012 Found Air Raid with original box

AIR-RAID

I totally agree with you on this one. Virtually every other rom out there has been pirated by Taiwan and have been renamed and found their way on to multi carts. The sample idea has the most merit and would explain its rarity scale. ;)

I've found Karate roms on pirate carts and there are fewer of those in existence than air raids. The only explanation I can think of is that because it is just a hack of space jockey, the pirates only ever used the space jockey rom on pirate carts (which happens often) and didnt bother with this.

Quadrun is more than $200, LOL! So, does Space Jockey also have the weird 290 scanline framerate?

I know it sounds crazy but...

- Label with no name

- Hacked rom of space Jockey

- Funky scan lines leaning towards PAL-M

- Extreme rarity

These things just SCREAM Brazil pirate and up until a little while ago, many people still thought this.

If this game came in a plain black atari case then nobody would have thought twice, they just would have assumed it was a Brazil hack/pirate cart and moved on. A core group of collectors that like that stuff probably would have paid around $200...

Now, for the record I DO believe this was released in the US and do not think it's a Brazil pirate. I'm just saying, if not for the funky blue case and the box this would have been assumed a Brazil pirate and nobody would have cared...but the fact that it's a rare USA release makes it insanely valuable :)

Kinda like used chewing gum... who wants that?

Give it a story, like say this was a piece of gum chewed by Elvis, and now its a goldmine.

Not saying that's a bad thing, just what usually gives an item value isn't what it IS, but rather it's history/what it represents.

Kinda like the sabre I'm trying to get info on...

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

I never bought the Brazil argument simply because every single one was found in the USA, and in particular the lower USA?

I take it there never was any manuals made for this game. Printing the instructions on the back of the box was not unheard of back then either.

I'll admit, my first theory was Mexico since one was found there and others in CA and TX. I now think it was just a guy or two, trying to cash in on the atari craze with no programming experience so they farmed out all the work, came up with a game, handed a few out and maybe sold some in a roadside stand style thing (there is a letter from the 90's in the atari connection stating somebody saw a blue T-handled game for sale at some kind of craft show or something in CA I believe) they likley provided contact information so people could order more, nobody placed any orders, atari was becoming old news so they moved on and invented the flowbee or something...

post-9102-0-64909700-1351004801.jpg

I wrote a snail mail letter a couple weeks ago to the Tuesday Morning purchasing department that included some pictures from the previous auction looking for any information on Men-A-Vision. I received a response today from a gentleman who has been their toy and sporting goods buyer since the late 70's. As expected, there are no records that go back that far and although he remembers the Atari craze well, he does not remember anything about Air Raid or Men-A-Vision. It was very nice of them to respond and now I'm inclined to visit a store and support them.

• Like 5

If a rep from Men-A-Vision gave the game to the father then maybe it contained an order form?

I have a good feeling that more of these will surface. If there was a rep selling the games, I think more than 20 would have been made.

There has to be a name of the game somewhere. Does your dad happen to have the order form somewhere? Maybe the order form will say the name of the game on it.

The address in the manual (1702 Sunset Blvd) is currently a pawn shop. The only information I've been able to find so far suggests it has only been there since 2001. If someone lives in the area, it might be worth a visit to ask around. The building it is located in has quite the history. It also appears the current owners bought it in 2004, so getting previous tenant names is probably not possible without locating the owner that had it in 1982.

• Like 1

Wow, that manual needs to be scanned for Atarimania for sure. Don't all games usually also have a guarantee/warranty card?

So now we know the address it is 100% a USA-made game ?

Any VCS game ever released with no instructions? Brithday Mania, Red Sea Crossing?

Edited by high voltage

Wow, that manual needs to be scanned for Atarimania for sure.

So now we know the address it is 100% a USA-made game ?

Any VCS game ever released with no instructions? Brithday Mania, Red Sea Crossing?

The Taiwanese were notorious for printing the instructions on the back.

Awesome find!! I wonder what this will do to the auction result...