IGNORED

10-17-2012 Found Air Raid with original box

AIR-RAID

That is another problem with eBay. You never really know if these some of these record-breaking $20,000-$40,000 NES actions were actually completed sales or not, unless the buyer or seller comes forward and publicly says so in a forum.

There are too many people who know the big collector's ebay handles for that to happen.

Congrats Rick! Doesnt leave much for you to have to collect now! With two Air Raid carts you can now play the game in stereo :grin:

• Like 3

eBay doesn't even show user names of bidders anymore. It's all kept private so you don't know who wins an item. I guess you could see it through the feedback page, though.

There are too many people who know the big collector's ebay handles for that to happen.

Congrats Rick! Doesnt leave much for you to have to collect now! With two Air Raid carts you can now play the game in stereo :grin:

Edited by Parrothead

I had a bad feeling that the eBay auction would hurt the sale on GameGavel. It sucks that this happened, but at least the seller was honest enough not to wait until the end to retract and/or artificially inflate the price. I bid on an eBay auction once on a one-of-a-kind item (hand constructed mod) with a max bid of $80. It wasn't video game related, but it was one of my other niche hobbies which has a much smaller collector pool (twisty puzzles, eg Rubick's cube type logic puzzles with often exotic geometries). The current high bid was ~$30 bucks, and I placed a single max bid of $80. This raised my price to ~$50, and I would have won the auction, had I not been sniped in the last minute. I don't know if I fell victim to shill bidding or not, but the auction was won for $81. A couple days later, I received a "second chance" offer of $80 from the seller who informed me that the winning bidder had retracted his bid. I reluctantly accepted his offer, but ultimately ended up paying $30 more for the item that I would have if the bloke who retracted his bid hadn't placed it to begin with. I am glad that GameGavel cares enough about people to remove any offset created by the offers. Hopefully we get more bids in the final day, hour, minutes of bidding.

That said, it would still be cool to see a new Atari record set by this auction. That is another problem with eBay. You never really know if these some of these record-breaking $20,000-$40,000 NES actions were actually completed sales or not, unless the buyer or seller comes forward and publicly says so in a forum.

I would have told the seller that I'd pay $50 and not a penny more. Lots of times people have friends or even have their own extra account bid up an item to get the maximum from it. Else I would have turned down the offer and let the guy get stuck paying the ebay fee along with reposting it and then maybe you'd get it cheaper.

As for this Air Raid, I never would bid because I'm poor, but with the hurricane and all the hardships here in NJ right now, including the problem that I can't even find a gas station with gas, I actually lost interest in this item altogether. Maybe it's because I see all the loss, including my cousin's house being flooded. She was on the tv, though I don't know which channel, hugging Chris Christie. She was one of the ones in Moonachie having to be rescued by boat along with her daughter and her in-laws.

Phil

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your family's loss, dude. It's definitely possible the bidder could have been affected somehow by the storm. I know if I had come home to find my prized collection floating about and water logged, I'd be in no condition to spend $17,000 just to add a missing piece.

I recently aquired a rather large sum of money from some timber sales, so technically I could afford to bid on it, but my mother recently retired and depleated her savings remodeling our house, so we are treating the income as a blessing and saving it up. I would never spend such a large sum on a video game related item out of principal, whether I had tons of money to spend or not. It's just fun to watch an auction like this take place.

I would have told the seller that I'd pay $50 and not a penny more. Lots of times people have friends or even have their own extra account bid up an item to get the maximum from it. Else I would have turned down the offer and let the guy get stuck paying the ebay fee along with reposting it and then maybe you'd get it cheaper.

As for this Air Raid, I never would bid because I'm poor, but with the hurricane and all the hardships here in NJ right now, including the problem that I can't even find a gas station with gas, I actually lost interest in this item altogether. Maybe it's because I see all the loss, including my cousin's house being flooded. She was on the tv, though I don't know which channel, hugging Chris Christie. She was one of the ones in Moonachie having to be rescued by boat along with her daughter and her in-laws.

Phil

It sounds horrible out there. Is the damage Biblical? I hope things get back to normal quickly for your state.

You still get two letters and the feedback score. That's plenty to know whose who in the zoo ;-)

eBay doesn't even show user names of bidders anymore. It's all kept private so you don't know who wins an item. I guess you could see it through the feedback page, though.

• Like 1

The problem right now in NJ is the amount of people who don't have power. This includes schools, government and law buildings, gas stations, and the post office. I mailed out packages yesterday since I got back up and running, but the main hub of the post office in Kearney had no power. So no packages were coming in or going out. I haven't gotten mail in 4 days since nothing is being brought to the town post offices and the trucks probably don't have gas to even bring the mail to each town. The very few gas stations open around here have lines of 2-3 hours long. I'm staying put in my town and not using the little gas I have left in my car. I should have filled up before the storm, but didn't, so now I need to conserve what little I have.

Biblical damage doesn't even say it. Just look at the photos on google, just of Seaside Heights alone. Actually, I saw this cool shot of the Statue of Liberty with a wave crashing at the base of her feet. Talk about high water. Anyway, I think I'm ok for the most part. I live in a VERY densely populated area. In the span of just 8 blocks on the main avenue, there has to be about 10 different restaurants up and running if not a bit more. Also, there are 3 supermarkets in that area too. Though some items have been depleted.

Phil

Has anyone noticed the address on the instruction manual in the auction? "1702 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, 90026" maybe that could help us find out the origins of air raid?

Whoa, how did we miss that? :ponder: Hopefully some smart detective type will post a pic of the current building or something!

One month later, a copy of Birrhday Mania shows up, and is dumped.

IT BETTER SHOW UP

No, seriously, somebody needs to make a wanted flyer for it and then it's Red Sea Crossing all over again.

We should start a hunt for it in the Midwest.

So, who's the guy who allegedly owned it and where does he live and is he dead? It's worth a letter mailing, if you ask me. It will be called: PROJECT BLOWOUT.

There once (1981) was a toy shop, named Mena Toys. (Mena -> Men-A-Vision?)

http://historicechop...nection-2982144

http://www.theeastsi...nds-a-new-home/

http://www.flickr.co...iee/2400524939/

And there still exists a company named "Mena & Sons Incorporated" in LA. Someone should contact them.

post-45-0-84513600-1351982857_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 5

A few other stores in that photo are also MENA, like Mena Sporting Goods, Mena Jewellery. What a connection! Who would have thought Men-A was really a play on 'Mena'?

So is Mena a old/current name of that area, a last name for some family that owned some businesses, or a word from a language such as Spanish or Italian?

Who knows about this area? Anyone?

Google translate is auto-detecting 'Mena' as a Spanish word, which translates to 'ore'. From Thomas's link for Toy Shop above:

Various retail stores are shown in a building named Jensen's Recreation Center located in the Echo Park section of Los Angeles. Henry Christian Jensen built the Jensen Recreation Center in 1924. Jensen was a German immigrant that made his fortune making bricks for the rapidly growing city of early 20th century Los Angeles.

I wonder if Jensen had anything to do with mining, or ore?