IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

It looks like Atari could have copied the graphics and screen layout. They look very similar. I've looked at a disassembly of the NES version and it is completely different from Atari's in how it was coded. I'm not just talking about the graphics/sound routines that would obviously be different. The whole game engine is organized differently.

Hello everyone,

I just want to clearify the expected ship date. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but it will be near the end of December. I told several people via PM that it would be late December but didn't carry that over to the first post. I'm spending 1-2 hours a day working on this and still have a ways to go. I am making a lot of changes to the game play so this will take time. Everything I'm doing is to make it more faithful to the arcade version, so I hope you will be patient with me. I have enough parts for the 56 orders so I'm also working on preparing the carts. There is a lot of delabeling and desoldering to do. I'll post an updated binary later this week that will have the girder level changes completed. I think you will be happy with the changes. :)

TEP392

• Like 7

Hello everyone,

I just want to clearify the expected ship date. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but it will be near the end of December. I told several people via PM that it would be late December but didn't carry that over to the first post. I'm spending 1-2 hours a day working on this and still have a ways to go. I am making a lot of changes to the game play so this will take time. Everything I'm doing is to make it more faithful to the arcade version, so I hope you will be patient with me. I have enough parts for the 56 orders so I'm also working on preparing the carts. There is a lot of delabeling and desoldering to do. I'll post an updated binary later this week that will have the girder level changes completed. I think you will be happy with the changes. :)

TEP392

Perry-looking great so far! Thank you for all of the hard work and happy to wait for this until you are able to finish... Edited by mmervine
  • Like 1

No hurry here...looks great. We got a couple months yet b4 we can use it with our xm's. Maybe dumb question. but does it also support high score saves with the xm?

That's number 1 on my priority list for new features. I havn't done it before, but I'm pretty sure I can figure it out. :)

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

TEP392

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sATvCmYykV4

I've put new binary's in the first post. I think I have the girder screen finished now.

- Mario can rebound off wall to escape barrels at the end of the ramps

- Fireballs turn blue when the hammer is grabbed

- Fireball can climb to higher levels. They can only get to the level below Kong. They use the same DL's so they would erase Kong if I let them get that high. I'm also limited to just 2 fireballs on the screen due to the number of barrels supported. They don't really pose much threat i normal game play so I think this will be ok.

- I've adjusted barrel throwing speed so it's a little slower for the first two levels. I had it at the same rate as the arcade but I seemed too difficult. I also don't let it go to the 1.5 second rate used on higher levels in the arcade version because the number of barrels start exceeding what the game engine is setup for and interfere with each other.

- The 1st blue barrel that gets tossed at the start of the screen now behaves correctly for each level.

enjoy!

• Like 5

It looks very good. I believe it's becoming truly evil -- it seems possessed like the arcade version. :evil:

I love what you've done with the upper screen: score, etc.

Will the final version keep the same level order (with pie factory being 2nd)?

Perry,

Looking great and thanks for the update. A few things:

1. On the first stage, the fireballs now turn blue with the hammer but they don't turn off after the hammer quits. The first fireball will blue out when it reaches the top(next to last girder) but the other one doesn't.

2. I think that I saw that jumping two barrels gave more points. That's nice.

3. On the first stage, the game over words are now yellow instead of the ladder color that it was before. Same with the elevator level. The rivet level is now the game over color it's supposed to be though. I know. picky.

Chuck

...as I watched the fireballs above the highest level, I noticed that the barrels gradually disappear when the bonus timer reaches zero:

dkbarilibonus.png

I never noticed that before. Good catch. I probably won't implement it though, unless I have some spare time after everything is finished.

• Like 1