IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

The 1.5 second barrel rate isn't going to happen without major graphics engine changes. There aren't enough DL's entries to handle the number of barrels that can be on the screen. It could become a major PITA if I start making significant changes to that part of the code. The rate on the earlier levels could be tied to a difficulty switch if you want the challenge. :)

I forgot to add that the barrel rate now goes down to 1.5 sec at level 3 in A difficulty. I'm able to get away with it with the new barrel logic and the fact that they roll off the edge of the screen when below Mario, limiting the max number on the screen. There might still be an occasional graphical glitch but I don't think it will be frequent.

• Like 1

I'm hesistant to ask this, but since the 7800XM is now indefinately delayed (as in, likely not in 2013 either, folks

You need to be carefull with your speculation. Someone else comes along, runs with it, and next thing you know people are stating that as if it was a fact. You know how these forums work.

• Like 2

I'm hesistant to ask this, but since the 7800XM is now indefinately delayed (as in, likely not in 2013 either, folks)...

Have Curt or I said that? Nope! Its pure BS speculation on your part.

is there any chance of an extended cart for the 7800 itself?

The project is called "Donkey Kong XM" which says its an XM title to me.

Have Curt or I said that? Nope! Its pure BS speculation on your part.

Er, he explictly stated that it's indefinately delayed. The 'not in 2013' was a guess on my part, and I'm thinking it's a pretty safe one - but, I'll tell you what, how much money are you willing to wager with me otherwise?

In the meantime I would hate to see some real work on an XM title go to waste because the XM is now back in development limbo (no matter if the reasons are justified), so it's a perfectly reasonable question if it could be brought to a regular 7800 in some capacity.

Please, read the updates on the web site that has been set up for this. It was clearly stated there, in November, that the design is locked down and the unit starts shipping January 30th. Nothing has been said since to indicate of any additional delays. Please, stop speculating. Here is his post from the site:

NOV 29th - Design is locked down. No further changes, or modifications whatsoever. With the holidays coming, I will begin to order in the new boards. Mark and I will implement the firmware and after the New Year I will prepare the workshop for assembly, and begin to build out the XM's to begin shipping January 30th. So this is it, no more changes, no more attempts at further compatibility with any further games, the design is locked down and now its time to get past the holiday madness and focus on preparing to build XM's. I should be able to do 5-6 daily and get them out to first ordered first and go through the list. I will email people in batches to verify addresses, if I don't get a reply back, they get bumped to the next batch and if I still don't hear I'll keep bumping them until I'm at the end of the list and if I have to start making phone calls or posting on Atariage asking if anyone has heard from such and such a person, I will but I'm not holding anything up any further, time to move forward, everyone has waited long enough and too much time has been invested into this project.

You need to be carefull with your speculation. Someone else comes along, runs with it, and next thing you know people are stating that as if it was a fact. You know how these forums work.

Well, I'm on record as not believing that the XM will ever come out, so I suppose most people here know where I am coming from. But we do have confirmation from Curt that the kits aren't going to be worked on for the forseeable future - and I would seriously hate to see your work come to naught because of it. :S Maybe I can bribe you to finish up one of your other games in the meantime? :)

Well, I'm on record as not believing that the XM will ever come out, so I suppose most people here know where I am coming from. But we do have confirmation from Curt that the kits aren't going to be worked on for the forseeable future - and I would seriously hate to see your work come to naught because of it. :S Maybe I can bribe you to finish up one of your other games in the meantime? :)

I don't recall you ever showing interest in buying this game. It looks to me like you are just trolling.

• Like 2

Jaynz,

I think the biggest concern is that you are speculating on something that may or may not be true. We've had several people on AA that seem to intentionally stir the pot (not saying that you are). The last being Fernando who was banned from AA. The problem is people who are creating games/hardware/etc because they enjoy the hobby are getting burned out by some of the comments/speculations/accusations/etc that are made on the boards. Please don't be "THAT GUY" I'm not accusing you of doing any of this, just pointing out some of the crap that has gone on.

• Like 4

I want Tep to make as many 7800 games as possible and he will get my money as he does (or, at least, AA will). :) I also don't want to discourage him - which is why I asked if it was possible to put this game on a 7800 Pokey cart. I honestly have no idea. If it is, it may be in the best interest to do so, and maybe to something more expansive (like adding the Jumpman II screens?) for the XM version down the road.

If not, it may not be a bad idea for him to knock out a couple of his other projects, which I will also gladly pay for, while things with the XM are in limbo.

I want Tep to make as many 7800 games as possible and he will get my money as he does (or, at least, AA will). :) I also don't want to discourage him - which is why I asked if it was possible to put this game on a 7800 Pokey cart. I honestly have no idea. If it is, it may be in the best interest to do so, and maybe to something more expansive (like adding the Jumpman II screens?) for the XM version down the road.

If not, it may not be a bad idea for him to knock out a couple of his other projects, which I will also gladly pay for, while things with the XM are in limbo.

You keep harping on Curt and you won't get my game unless you find someone willing to sell it to you second hand. I'm still pissed about all the crap people were giving Curt and it driving him away from developing for the Atari.

• Like 8

I'm sorry, I find it easier to shop through the AA Store than a lot of the third-party websites. I was under the impression that you're selling it here, so I wasn't seeing the problem.

But, hey, if you want to have a big-ass battleline in the 7800 fanbase over the XM, that's your business. I just thought you were doing good work and was trying to offer a way for it to come to fruition considering Curt's current, very unfortunate, status.

But, hey, if this has all actually been about establishing a 7800 fandom pecking-order rather than the love of classic consoles, games, and development, then I'm not interested. I'll get the game and the XM (when/if it comes out) on my own terms and leave the high-school drama to others, thanks.

But, hey, if you want to have a big-ass battleline in the 7800 fanbase over the XM, that's your business. I just thought you were doing good work and was trying to offer a way for it to come to fruition considering Curt's current, very unfortunate, status.

But, hey, if this has all actually been about establishing a 7800 fandom pecking-order rather than the love of classic consoles, games, and development, then I'm not interested. I'll get the game and the XM (when/if it comes out) on my own terms and leave the high-school drama to others, thanks.

You lost me there dude.

The only reason I'm working on games in my spare time is that I enjoy doing it. I'm selling the carts because people enjoy the work I've done. It's that simple. Regarding your suggestions for alternate ways to publish the game, they are welcome. I'm alway's willing to listen to people's idea's.

My issue, which I covered in my first response to you, was regarding your speculation that the XM won't ship in 2013. Your free to state your opinion. but it would be responsible to provide some facts to back it up. Given all the drama that's happened around here lately, which I'm sure your familiar with, you really should keep it to your self. Statements like that are bound to bring the trolls out of the woodwork and then arguments ensue and the result is people like Curt, who have given tons to the hobby, end up leaving it in frustration.

I'm done talking about this now. Time to get back to programming. :)

• Like 8

Jaynz...As I am sure you remember in the XM status thread, LoTonah posted something about Legacy Engineering being "no more", which lead to me posting to ask Curt about the status and viability of my XM order. I was immediately torn a new one by Curt (and many others here in the forum). The thing that burns me up about this most (aside from the fact that I didn't deserve all the nasty comments I received) is that LoTonah was just stirring the pot and I took all the heat for it. My question was valid and I stand by it, but the misguided anger that ensued was entirely brought down on me because of someone else's provocative post...not mine. Moral of this story...DONT STIR THE POT!!! Nothing good ever comes of it.

If you really want to avoid the "High School Drama", as you call it, then please don't beat on a dead horse. Everyone here knows the XM has seen more than its' fair share of delays...that is what happens with hardware fabrication. If you are interested in asking Tep392 for a Pokey version of this game, then ask for that...don't bother dredging up flesh from a healing wound. There was no need for the "digs" on the release date of the XM...not unless you were looking to start up some unnecessary drama.

I am tired folks...this place is becoming less appealing every day. Ever since my unwarranted, public ass-reaming in the XM status thread, I have been searching for the answers as to why I took such a virtual beating and "what I am still doing here". I've come to terms with the fact that many folks (myself included) are here to have fun, goof around a bit and talk about retro games that 95% of the world never even heard of, much less cares about. The other minority of folks are here for a little while, just to add what they think is some "excitement"...ie: stirring the pot. This "minority" is completely leeching the fun out of the hobby...and having fun is the only reason I joined AA. That is why we are all here...right?

@tep392: Your game is awesome, and it will compliment the 7800 XM component wonderfully when the hardware is finalized. I thank you all of your efforts, and look forward to playing this whenever you have it completed. As for the XM, my feelings are the same as they always were...it will be ready when it is ready and I now know I will have an awesome copy of Donkey Kong to play on the first day it arrives. Thank you again!

• Like 2

My issue, which I covered in my first response to you, was regarding your speculation that the XM won't ship in 2013. Your free to state your opinion. but it would be responsible to provide some facts to back it up. Given all the drama that's happened around here lately, which I'm sure your familiar with, you really should keep it to your self. Statements like that are bound to bring the trolls out of the woodwork and then arguments ensue and the result is people like Curt, who have given tons to the hobby, end up leaving it in frustration.

Look, my intention was just pointing out something obvious, Curt's not up to doing the XM. The is an indefinate delay and he has no idea when or even if he can get back to it. Given his reason, that's fair enough. Maybe someone else can take the reigns (GroovyBee sounds like the best candidate), maybe not. But, right now, the XM is on the back-burner for an indefinate time period. In any case, in all serious, Curt should probably let the XM project go. Health comes first, and this is obviously no longer beneficial for him.

Given that, since this particular game seems ready to release, I didn't want you (Tep) to have to shelve it. I looked at the current delay as an impetus for a 'regular' version, not as a stick to beat the horse with, which is why I suggested a 'deluxe' version if the XM gets going again - adding the Donkey Kong 2 levels.

Great work on Donkey Kong! It just keeps getting better!

You are following the way of the best programmers if you are studying arcade ROM code for your games. Wow. That is something only a rare few could do.

I have already purchased it. I had just joined AtariAge when 7800 Pokey Kong was first talked about.

At the start you can run left past the barrel and back, no problem, but if you jump - even though the barrel isn't lit yet - you die!

Just pointing out something I noticed, take it as a bug or just the way it works...

Look, my intention was just pointing out something obvious, Curt's not up to doing the XM. The is an indefinate delay and he has no idea when or even if he can get back to it. Given his reason, that's fair enough. Maybe someone else can take the reigns (GroovyBee sounds like the best candidate), maybe not. But, right now, the XM is on the back-burner for an indefinate time period. In any case, in all serious, Curt should probably let the XM project go. Health comes first, and this is obviously no longer beneficial for him.

Given that, since this particular game seems ready to release, I didn't want you (Tep) to have to shelve it. I looked at the current delay as an impetus for a 'regular' version, not as a stick to beat the horse with, which is why I suggested a 'deluxe' version if the XM gets going again - adding the Donkey Kong 2 levels.

This horse is definitely dead. It's the same answer you got 3 months ago in the thread below:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/204404-sequel-to-donkey-kong-arcade/

Jaynz,

I think the biggest concern is that you are speculating on something that may or may not be true. We've had several people on AA that seem to intentionally stir the pot (not saying that you are). The last being Fernando who was banned from AA. The problem is people who are creating games/hardware/etc because they enjoy the hobby are getting burned out by some of the comments/speculations/accusations/etc that are made on the boards. Please don't be "THAT GUY" I'm not accusing you of doing any of this, just pointing out some of the crap that has gone on.

Fernando's banning wasn't all caused by intentionally stir the pot. What Fernando has done as an atariage seller was enough to ban him even without stirring the pot. Fernando was selling bootleg aka counterfeit items on Atariage and ebay. Basically what Fernando did was something that sellers at local flee market that got arrested by federal agents a few years ago for which was selling counterfeit items. Albert himself isn't allowing Fernando to buy any items from the Atariage store. People have been banned on Atariage before for selling making copies of homebrew/hack games without asking the homebrew author or hack author's permission.

The items that had been bootlegging actually is games that fellow atariage members developed. What Fernando had been doing is buying a copy of a homebrew game and make copies of the game by using the game's rom.

Edited by 8th lutz

This horse is definitely dead. It's the same answer you got 3 months ago in the thread below:

I know the Pokey issue ups the cost and/or requires Ballblazer (etc.) repros, since I'm the one who DID that research, if you'll remember. A $10 markup for this particular cart doesn't seem out of line, really. What I don't know if the DK XM rom is in an arragement that precludes a regular 7800 cart.

I also found emulated Pokey and SID chips much cheaper, so to bring up the 7800 Melody cart now seems more doable, but it would use today's tech, not that of 1985.

Wait, does anyone else ever get Tep392, TrekMD, and Trebor mixed up? :dunce:

I just read one of Tep392's posts above and noticed the "likes" under it. I thought, "wow, Tep is liking his own post?"... then I realized it was Trebor and TrekMD liking it. :lol:

At the time, I had legitimate questions about the change-over from Legacy to Syzygy, and we weren't getting answers. I don't think I was particularly "stirring the pot".

I didn't like seeing it happen to you, but I think it was bound to happen to one of us "dissenters". I can only guess that the reason that he quoted you is you happened to have the last critical post posted when he finally had enough and snapped. I'm sorry that you took the brunt of it.

I really hope that Curt is going to be fine. I really hope that the XM ships, too. When I first saw the XM, and the keyboard + BASIC, I was as excited as my kids at Christmas. I still feel that the XM is awesome and I would love to own one. I'll leave all of the negativity I've felt out of this post as I don't think it serves any purpose.

Jaynz...As I am sure you remember in the XM status thread, LoTonah posted something about Legacy Engineering being "no more", which lead to me posting to ask Curt about the status and viability of my XM order. I was immediately torn a new one by Curt (and many others here in the forum). The thing that burns me up about this most (aside from the fact that I didn't deserve all the nasty comments I received) is that LoTonah was just stirring the pot and I took all the heat for it. My question was valid and I stand by it, but the misguided anger that ensued was entirely brought down on me because of someone else's provocative post...not mine. Moral of this story...DONT STIR THE POT!!! Nothing good ever comes of it.

If you really want to avoid the "High School Drama", as you call it, then please don't beat on a dead horse. Everyone here knows the XM has seen more than its' fair share of delays...that is what happens with hardware fabrication. If you are interested in asking Tep392 for a Pokey version of this game, then ask for that...don't bother dredging up flesh from a healing wound. There was no need for the "digs" on the release date of the XM...not unless you were looking to start up some unnecessary drama.

I am tired folks...this place is becoming less appealing every day. Ever since my unwarranted, public ass-reaming in the XM status thread, I have been searching for the answers as to why I took such a virtual beating and "what I am still doing here". I've come to terms with the fact that many folks (myself included) are here to have fun, goof around a bit and talk about retro games that 95% of the world never even heard of, much less cares about. The other minority of folks are here for a little while, just to add what they think is some "excitement"...ie: stirring the pot. This "minority" is completely leeching the fun out of the hobby...and having fun is the only reason I joined AA. That is why we are all here...right?

@tep392: Your game is awesome, and it will compliment the 7800 XM component wonderfully when the hardware is finalized. I thank you all of your efforts, and look forward to playing this whenever you have it completed. As for the XM, my feelings are the same as they always were...it will be ready when it is ready and I now know I will have an awesome copy of Donkey Kong to play on the first day it arrives. Thank you again!