IGNORED

Donkey Kong XM Pre-order and demo

tep392

I have the game finalized but want to spend a little time playing through it before posting the final demo. I should be posting it tomorrow night. I'll then be devoting my time to desoldering all the Jinks boards while everyone here has a chance to play test it before I start burning ROM's.

• Like 7

I've uploaded a Demo for the final game in the 1st post. I would appreciate it greatly if people would take some time to try it out and let me know if any more bugs remain. I won't be making anymore changes at this point, other than color tweaks if needed. I can only test in hardware on an NTSC machine so really need the help of some of you in PAL land to try it out on CC2's if you have them. I'm especially interested in feedback on the colors. Also try it out with your HSC if you have one.

I'm going to give it 2 weeks for people to try out. During that time I'll be desoldering boards and preparing to build the first batch so I can get them shipped out.

Thanks you!

Perry

• Like 3

P.S. Is it possible to steer the barrels in this version?

Yes it is possible and uses the same logic as the arcade version. You can't steer every one, but the probability of being able to steer one increases with the level number and as the bounus counter counts down.

• Like 1

I've uploaded a Demo for the final game in the 1st post. I would appreciate it greatly if people would take some time to try it out and let me know if any more bugs remain. I won't be making anymore changes at this point, other than color tweaks if needed. I can only test in hardware on an NTSC machine so really need the help of some of you in PAL land to try it out on CC2's if you have them. I'm especially interested in feedback on the colors. Also try it out with your HSC if you have one.

I'm going to give it 2 weeks for people to try out. During that time I'll be desoldering boards and preparing to build the first batch so I can get them shipped out.

Thanks you!

Perry

Perry is being WAY too modest here. If you want to know what this version/update contains basically look to the arcade game. He has covered all the bases and then some. At this point the only difference between this port and the arcade is resolution and slight color differences that is literally impossible to be exact. Everything else concerning behavior, gameplay, timing, mechanics, is there...This is 99% arcade accurate and perfection of a port on the 7800. I can't praise the work done here high enough.

Marco/Defender_2600 provided some amazing and down to a science tweaks on graphics and board layouts. Perry's ingenious coding and implementation is remarkable.

Forget just 7800 fandom. If you are a Donkey Kong fan (Luckily I am both) it is reason alone to acquire the 7800 console and the XM module. It is Donkey Kong ported perfection. The next best thing is having the Arcade machine.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I've updated the demo with some bug fixes and updated Kong sprites courtesy of Marco. Let me know what you think of it.

- 3rd fireball on ramp screen bounces now.

- updated oil can fire pallet to match fires

- updated the Kong sprites.

I've also updated the "contest" version in this thread. Please try that version out and post your scores. Trebor has won 1st place but there is still no 2nd place winner for the 2nd box I'm giving out. Please make sure you use the contest version which is in 1st post of that thread for your entry. Entries using this demo version don't count.

• Like 1

I thought of an improvement to the game.

I noticed that for the "How High Can You Get" music that you are using distortion 10 (pure tones) for the lead and distortion 12 (bass) ... if you used 16 bit mode on two channels, you can get distortion 10 on the bass, and it will sound closer to the arcade. The riff which also plays in the background during the level can also be transposed down an octave this way too to sound more acrade like.