IGNORED

7800 games that should have existed?

Jaynz

Jordan vs Bird???????? I think you mean Dr. J vs. Bird

Lol, yeah. In my defense that was the sequel at least. But obviously it was Dr. J vs. Bird on the 7800. Once again not an 'exclusive game' but a Computer port.. but at least it wasn't a rehash of something we had on the 2600.

Anyway back on topic.. the 7800 desperately needed new games. While the updated ports were OK I think most everyone was over Pac-Man et al by 1986. Don't get me wrong, i played the hell out of Joust and Galaga.. but i had more fun with games like Jordan vs. Bird or Food Fight simply because I wasn't familiar with them. There were plenty of games they could have ported.. many of the games making the rounds on the computers at the time could have been shoe horned in.

Keep in mind those are different periods. Most of those arcade ports you're talking about were done for '84. When it came time to work on the relaunch in Fall '84, the current arcade titles were already locked up to Nintendo. That's why Mike Katz went towards licensing former computer only titles, and the fact that he had just come over from running Epyx is why they had a good relationship with those titles.

• Like 1

Keep in mind those are different periods. Most of those arcade ports you're talking about were done for '84. When it came time to work on the relaunch in Fall '84, the current arcade titles were already locked up to Nintendo. That's why Mike Katz went towards licensing former computer only titles, and the fact that he had just come over from running Epyx is why they had a good relationship with those titles.

Yeah exactly which is why my point was if the system had launched in '84 as intended the game line-up might have been more appealing.. as those arcade ports which made up the core of the initial library were very dated by '86.

It's no secret what sells game systems. The most important thing is exclusives.. either popular original games or ports. By this point Atari really didn't have any 1st party output worth mentioning and Nintendo had locked up most of the major arcade games through their iron fisted licensing. Atari's options would have been to either dump money in starting up quality original titles or going for more computer ports that weren't bound by a Nintendo exclusive. They did that with a dozen or so titles like Impossible Mission and Karateka but obviously it wasn't enough.

It was a sad turn of events but either through their decisions, bad luck or whatever.. Atari seemed to be the king of bad turnouts during this period and onwards.

Agreed. Pippen was a monster on defense, and Bulls would not have won all those titles without Scottie.

Yes sir.....SCOTTIE would make Lebitch James go POTTY in his pants, LoL :)

http://sportsjunk.sportsblognet.com/files/2011/09/scottie-pippen-mugshot1.jpg

Edited by Stun Runner 87

• 1 year later...

I finally out my thoughts together on this topic...http://retrogameguy.com/2014/07/05/atari-7800-missing-classics/

It is a nice read. I think Atari7800 basic now exists actually can help the odds of some of the classic arcade games happen and some the games mentioned on this thread.

I think my amount of Atari 7800 games that should have existed would be even bigger soon since the Colecovision Flashback will be released in October since I never played a Colecovision before.

Edited by 8th lutz

Paperboy, Pacmania & Roadblasters....After seeing those 3 games at a Chuck E Cheese party back then I DREAMED & DREAMED they would get released for my 7800...I even wrote Atari a letter inquiring about it, which much to my dismay they replied that their were no plans to. lol

• Like 2

Marble Madness, Double Dragon 2, California games finished, Miner 2049er, The Last Starfighter, Berzerk, Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3, Fantasy Zone, Tetris, Afterburner, Blue Lightning, Gauntlet, and Vindicators! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumbsup:

Berzerk is already made for the Atari 7800. The Frenzy cartridge for the Atari 7800 actually has Berzerk and Frenzy on it.

Paperboy, Pacmania & Roadblasters....After seeing those 3 games at a Chuck E Cheese party back then I DREAMED & DREAMED they would get released for my 7800...I even wrote Atari a letter inquiring about it, which much to my dismay they replied that their were no plans to. lol

I'm glad I wasn't the only kid who did that. I pestered customer service with countless letters suggesting various titles be ported to the 7800, especially the Atari Games titles.

I'm glad I wasn't the only kid who did that. I pestered customer service with countless letters suggesting various titles be ported to the 7800, especially the Atari Games titles.

Yep, not like we could e-mail them lol.....It made no sense to me then why those Atari arcade titles never made it home to the 7800

• Like 1

I think original titles were more of a draw at that point in time.

Certainly not another port of Ms. Pac-Man

Some of the unreleased games like Plutos, Sirius, Chuck Norris would have been nice if they cleaned them up and actually tested them.

That gives you some good side scrolling shooters

And a good cross section of the other genres, a platformer like Mario Bros, a "quest" game like Zelda, a decent basketball and football game

Oh and a good Tetris-style game

What did the NES release with and what sold best?

Copy that model. The problem is they probably couldn't get the rights to any of that stuff.