IGNORED

Pac-Man 4K with Cut Scenes

Brian O

Could Pac Man 8K also have A-B difficulty switch usage implemented? PM4K is fairly fast paced even on the 'easiest' level. A-B switches would let us ramp it up or down on the speed of the ghosts, along with how long the power pellets remain in effect.

I just noticed earlier that there are some behavioral issues with the ghosts in the cutscenes ROM not present in the official AA cart release. For starters, when I played the "cutscenes" ROM on my Harmony cart, the ghost do not change direction when a pellet is eaten. Both on the original arcade game and the official AtariAge cart, the ghosts reverse direction when turning Blue. Also, on the cutscenes ROM, occasionally the ghosts will follow me into the tunnels above the ghost cage. In the arcade game, those were one-way tunnels. On my AtariAge Pacman 4k cart, the ghosts can only move up these two tunnels when they are Blue, so IMO the behavior is a little off in the cutscenes ROM.

Just my observations. I would still love to someday play a Ms Pacman based on the 4k engine.

Been there, done that. I posted what I thought were updates done to the program after the final version was made. This was only true of the posted rom. I didn't know that some of them made it into the cartridge already.

No time to tackle something new.

So, you are saying that my difficulty switch request has already been implemented into the ROM? I am confused.

I know that the 2-channel startup tune and Clyde's AI are part of the cartridge. Apparently, the points for eating fruits isn't (as the video shows).

What other additions Debro made to the cartridge version, I don't know about. No fruit points and no intermission sequence means there was a fair amount of space left over. Whether or not it was used elsewhere is beyond me...I don't have the version used for the video/cartridge. Possibly, to tweak the enemy AI (or undo some of the space-saving strategies if I'd accidentally broken it) ;)

Edited by Nukey Shay

• 2 months later...

I've been playing this hack on Stella and my Harmony Cart on my 2600 Jr. for a couple weeks and I've really enjoyed it. But I noticed a glitch where one of or two the ghosts or Pac Man will disapear for a few seconds and then re-appear.

Nukey, if you ever work on it again please add a speed-up turbo button like you did with Pac Man Arcade enhanced.

This game is really good - the AI of the ghosts is so much better than any other 2600 version.

Edited by WildBillTX

• 1 month later...

I know that the 2-channel startup tune and Clyde's AI are part of the cartridge. Apparently, the points for eating fruits isn't (as the video shows).

Correct.

What other additions Debro made to the cartridge version, I don't know about. No fruit points and no intermission sequence means there was a fair amount of space left over. Whether or not it was used elsewhere is beyond me...I don't have the version used for the video/cartridge. Possibly, to tweak the enemy AI (or undo some of the space-saving strategies if I'd accidentally broken it) ;)

Per the Pac-Man 4K instruction manual...

123 BYTES OF RAM Used

5 BYTES OF RAM Free

43 BYTES OF ROM Free