IGNORED

New DK for VCS?

sqoon

• 2 weeks later...

Latest work. Still a mess.

. New start tune! My first sounds, so exciting. Girder animation idea.

. New How High music. Loops. Fire button to Level 1

. New fire ball & animation

. All 4 Levels in ROM. Get to top for next Level.

. Top of Pie Level 2 extended on right (cheat to appear more symetrical)

Note: Still not a game. No game logic.

Jumpman1234_20121127.bas.bin

• Like 1

New opening tune, used the correct notes this time, and 2 channels for the trill part at the end. Neat cheat idea that worked if I do say so myself.

A bit of fade in the How High tune. Added / removed a few ape pixels, darker values, still heavy flicker, but you got to love that graphic, no? How can I not use it?

New walk sound on Level 1 when moving left or right. Tried to base it off what I hear in the arcade game, didn't come close, but it is unique. The arcade sound, at least in MAME, is a kind of down/up metallic ring. If I go with it I'll keep it quiet and make the 5-note ditty louder.

What do you think of the walk sound? All this is a first try for me.

Make a walk sound with VbB, I'd love to hear what others can contribute.

Jumpman1234_20121129.bas.bin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice work so far. I actually didn't think of the possibility of flickering the background graphics in order to make it more complex, but I think it works very nicely, and definitely looks better than Coleco's effort.

Back then, I think they could have done better, but out of some odd reason, they seem to have had a deadline and rushed their 4K version to market. In contrast to that, their Colecovision version has 16K of ROM, which is four times as much! (And they still don't use it optimally as you can see on Atarisoft's TI-99 version which has got all 4 screens and generally more fluid animation, but only has 16K of ROM as well)

I think (at the danger of getting slightly off topic) they generally could have done better back then. What hints at this is that the first screen in Coleco's 2600 version is represented relatively well, as are the graphics for Mario and the barrels. It seems to me that Gary Kitchen (he was the programmer, right?) was off to a good start when they told him he had to make it quicker than he thought, and in 4K. I reasonably think with 8K and more time for programming, the following enhancements could have been done:

- Generally better physics with Mario jumping

- Better representation of the rivets screen regarding the arcade's screen structure and enemy movements. I think it could have been done roughly on par with the first screen, but probably with the bonus items still missing

- Addition of the pie factory as a 3rd screen, with monochrome background graphics on par with the first screen. This shouldn't have been too hard because it's symmetric.

- A bit more music and more accurate sound effects

But now we're off to a fresh start. I hope work on this continues...

Iesposta,

Just wanted to chime to say that I'm very glad that you are working on this project. I like to show off to my friends what the 2600 is capable of...in the hands of clever programmers like yourself. I've been hoping for a new 2600 DK for long time and your efforts certainly look promising. Hope you can maintain the enthusiasm.

StephenJ

New opening tune, used the correct notes this time, and 2 channels for the trill part at the end. Neat cheat idea that worked if I do say so myself.

A bit of fade in the How High tune. Added / removed a few ape pixels, darker values, still heavy flicker, but you got to love that graphic, no? How can I not use it?

New walk sound on Level 1 when moving left or right. Tried to base it off what I hear in the arcade game, didn't come close, but it is unique. The arcade sound, at least in MAME, is a kind of down/up metallic ring. If I go with it I'll keep it quiet and make the 5-note ditty louder.

What do you think of the walk sound? All this is a first try for me.

Make a walk sound with VbB, I'd love to hear what others can contribute.

Is this supposed to work in Stella? It's not working for me. Maybe a setting I'm missing?