IGNORED

Panasonic 3DO & Amiga CD32 debate. Which one?

ydcl

Hi all,

I've been doing some looking at the Panasonic 3DO & Amiga CD32; I never played or ever touched one of those systems. I would love to

add one of them to my collection this X-mas. I just saw a 3DO review online that stated that the 3DO was prone to failure even though it had

a good collection of games. Do you guys agree with that assessment? He stated that it took him 3 tries to get a working one.

Also, I would like to hear the opinion of those who own or know about the 2 systems. I would really like a Neo Geo AES but that is out of my reach right now. $$$

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHhIfhTqttI\

I have my original Panasonic 3DO from back in the day (when it was new) and it still works fine. I've never had any problems with it.

I also have a CD32.

Honestly the 3DO is worlds easier to deal with and get software for. You can hit up ebay and buy loads of 3DO software for pretty cheap. There's a decent number of games for it as well.. I haven't looked in awhile but I don't think the 3DO systems are overly expensive.

The CD32 is going to run you more for the system and its a lot more difficult to find software. They didn't release a whole lot for it and games are especially hard to find in the US. There's about a dozen titles that are usually around on ebay but complete ones will certainly run you more than similiar 3DO titles. To put it in perspective I've had my CD32 for about 10 years and I think I have one CD32 title -- Impossible Misison 2032.. and even that took some effort and cost a little to get. The biggest boon of the CD32 is tracking down one of the expansion devices that turn it into a full fledged Amiga 1200 with a CD-ROM drive. I've got the SX-1 for mine and that's basically how I use it.. as a dedicated game system its a bit of a bust (at least in North America).

So bottom line, if you want something cheap and relatively easy to get games for.. 3DO all the way. If you want an entry way into amiga computing then CD32.

Money is a big deal for me, and last time I checked, a cd32 costs about 3x what a 3do does--and that's before adding on any neat amiga accessories which would push it close to the cost of a low-end gaming pc. IMO the best part of cd32 is it's amiga ability, but the cost has kept it on my future to-buy list forever. If I ever did get one, it would curl up with a few xxx-in-1 amiga cdroms and disappear for a few weeks. Frontier Elite II is my 'killer-app' on that system. Somebody help out, are the systems PAL/NTSC compatible? If not, I'd look pretty hard at a PAL system over an NTSC one.

3do is far less expensive than cd32 in terms of hardware and games, and IMO the better experience. It's not uncommon for a game ported to both 3do and psx to be better on 3do. 3do just feels 'deluxe' somehow. Wing Commander III and Star Control II would be my killer apps on it. I've never had hardware trouble with my FZ-1, but I generally take good care of my toys.

There are no shortage of good games on either sysem, especially with the cd32's amiga compatibility, but 3do strikes me as the bargain of the two.

Edited by Reaperman

I know that the amiga cd32 has a hidden menu that can be accessed when hooking a mouse to port 2 and pressing both buttons when powering the system up. There is an option to select between pal and ntsc. Don't know if you still have to use a converter or so.

When buying a cd32 you will almost always need to open it to swap 2 capacitors that where installed the wrong way around in the factory. Also pay close attention to the magnet part of the disc system that is installed in the toploader door. If the system isn't booting games, most likely the magnet isn't in the right position so the disc starts slipping.

4DO? :lol:

Yeah, I was thinking about that internal PC ISA card that had 3DO hardware on it so you could play the games on your PC.

Yeah, the 3DO Blaster. Those things are stupid-rare these days. Emulation on the other hand though is working great now, and you can use original discs as well. :)

I love my Amiga computers.

I think the CD32 is great, and have considered getting one...

But.... In a comparison, I'd go with the 3DO.

A lot of the CD32 games are just slightly (if at all) enhanced Amiga games.

And there are some great 3DO games......

(Unlike PDWT... ;-) )

Need for Speed and the best home Street Fighter...

(I don't like fighting games, but it's really nicely done)

desiv

Edited by desiv

I never knew much about 3DO and even way less about CD32. I found out about the CD32 last year I think while reading a video game console library site (it's becoming one of my favorites research site). It's a shame that it didn't live a little longer so that we could see what it was capable of.

I never knew much about 3DO and even way less about CD32. I found out about the CD32 last year I think while reading a video game console library site (it's becoming one of my favorites research site). It's a shame that it didn't live a little longer so that we could see what it was capable of.

During the early 90s Commodore kept having this dream of 'console-izing' one of it's computers. Never seemed to work really well despite all of the attempts (the CD32 being the last). I guess it was mainly due to the fact that you could just get the actual computer the console was based off and be in better shape with more flexibility.

Still kind of neat. Worth getting down the road, but look at is more as an modular Amiga than a real game system. With a computer add-on it opens up a world of great Amiga games. The CD-ROM drive makes getting games on it pretty easy as well.

.. Although with all of these SD->HD / Floppy deals it might be better to go that route than burning CD-Rs. I'll have to look into that further.

Same works with the amiga cd32, since this also didn't have a copy protection, as is the case with most early cd-based consoles.

Try out of the games so you can see what games you want to buy, since we don't promote piracy.

Edited by Seob

1. Buy a working 3DO

2. download every 3DO Iso file from the internet from a simple google search.

3. Burn them to CD with any commercial CD/DVD burner. (3DO didn't have copy protection)

4. PROFIT!!!

I collect games and systems so I can have the actual thing. I take great enjoyment out of owning the actual games. It's a hobby! :)

I'm not aware of any major reliability issues with the FZ-1 and FZ-10 3DOs, but I'd avoid the Goldstar consoles which, from all reports, have many problems and no advantages.

Also, I've read that the alleged NTSC bootup trick for CD32 consoles really doesn't work as well as is claimed, and the only way to get the most out of a CD32 is to get a PAL console and a bonafide PAL > NTSC converter.

I'm not aware of any major reliability issues with the FZ-1 and FZ-10 3DOs, but I'd avoid the Goldstar consoles which, from all reports, have many problems and no advantages.

You can set another system on top of it to save space! :lol:

But yeah, considering its reliability issues, that's about the only benefit it has.

Same works with the amiga cd32, since this also didn't have a copy protection, as is the case with most early cd-based consoles.

Try out of the games so you can see what games you want to buy, since we don't promote piracy.

I don't know who "we" is that you're referring to, since this very site we're all posting on hosts all the ROMs for Atari games they don't own the rights to. 3DO games are long since abandonware now. No one is trying to enforce the copyrights on them.

I understand wanting to own the original disc and packaging for the games you really want, that's cool.

Mostly I use we instead of I. Don't know why, but that's how I speak as well.

It just feels nice to hold onto a fysical copy and looking at the artwork.

Don't get me wrong, I have more copies of games for the amiga cd32 then I own original games, mainly because I don't see them often in the wild, let alone for a nice price.

It's just I don't like the capital profit point you use.

CD32 is much better for homebrew, there are loads of languages and development tools to choose from. If you get an Indivision AGA expansion for a PAL CD32 it'll plug into the VGA or DVI connector of a monitor and have no issues with PAL or NTSC titles, plus it has the advantage of being configurable so the image is centered and fits the full screen without any black borders. CD32 has the most advanced operating system of the 80s and 90s built into it, so that might be fun for someone to play with when they're bored with the games, there is a lot of software you can try on them if you get a bunch of magazine cover CDs or burn your own Workbench setup from UAE on a PC.

The 3DO hardware is superior, and it had a lot more dedicated games made for it rather than being a dumping ground of quick Amiga 500 ports like the CD32 was, so if you just want more early 3D games get a 3DO. If you want to experience most of what the Amiga had to offer, if there aren't CD32-specific version there are always compilation discs full of Amiga games that boot up and run on the CD32, so you will have thousands of games to choose from even if they're a bit more oldschool looking.