IGNORED

Shipping from US to FRANCE

the.golden.ax

I've got a large sale to France. Since it is over $250 and through eBay, I am required to use a service that includes a SIGNATURE. I had planned on using postal Express mail (EMS) for this but can not find a definitive answer as to whether or not it would accomplish the goal. They buyer was displeased with this saying that they want me to mark the customs low and use first class instead because it has a better change of getting through. Well, I just can't afford to expose myself to a large loss, so that would be out of the question. They suggested Fedex, but the cost is more than triple ($120 Fedex vs. $40 Express EMS) and they have let me down MORE THAN ONCE in the past with lost parcels... I must use a tracked - SIGNED method. Anyone ship to France, or get packages in France, that can shed some light on this topic? Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

AX

Hi,

So, basically, I never buy THIS MUCH from the USA, to begin with ! (limit myself to Europe)

And if I do (never happened), I'm willing to pay whatever it takes to have it shipped ok, even if I have to pay the taxes/customs at arrival (already happened once with... a jaguar CD game...)

Basically, I always have USPS EMS packages, and never ask the seller to cheat with the value.

I always check the ebayers feedback. If they have a few hundred, and they are all positive, then I trust them enough to be honest about receiving the item. As for the postal service, if it is a valuable item send it tracked or registered with insurance.

If it was an ebay sale - the buyer must be aware that they have to pay postage and are liable for duties. - if they are unhappy about the terms of postage that you stipulated in the listing, then that is their problem.

Alternatively if the buyer wants to keep costs to a minimum, by keeping declared value down, or by using a lesser postal service - and I agree to help them, I often send them a message through ebay stating that I will do what they request but only if they understand fully the risks involved and that if the package is lost or damaged that it is their loss - that I ask them confirm in a reply email. I have never had a package not make it to the destination, but I always figured that if it did go MIA and the buyer made a claim against me - I could recall to the message to the ebay dispute rep, and it would indemnify me.... mind you I've never had to go that far, so that is purely theory.

I did end up going postal with it, tracked and insured at a cost of $52 for a one pound package. I included instead of the invoice for the eBay listing, a copy of the original release showing the price that the item was when it originally was sold a few years back (Jaguar game, and the value due to rarity has gone up) since the buyer insisted that an invoice must be on the parcel for the French government to look at. I figured that was a reasonable compromise. I'm covered, and his needs are met. I went to the length of calling eBay to ask them to look at his "behind the scenes" record and was told he only made one claim in about 300 transactions for the past year. I do feel he is honest and just worried about his item. With all the criminals on eBay it is sad that it isn't safe to just take people at their word anymore. By nature I'm way too trusting, but I'm learning to play the "better safe" game.

• 2 weeks later...

usually, no problem to buy in Europe and in Italy/UK/France/Germany/Austria never had problems.

True that shipping costs depend A lot country by country. Basically the same price for shipping 1 cart in all europe but a lot of 10 carts have very high costs. UK and Spain are VERY expensive when to send medium/big lots. Then Italy.

Also true that, even non-insured packing always reach the destination. On Ebay I sell and buy from USA and never had problems. 2 weeks, max 3, package arrive. Never lost one.

Hi Ozma,

Well, I can't say I agree with you on this.

I already "lost" 2 packages from the UK, and one from Italy.

For the UK ones (a Telegames order and a Turbo everdrive), they apparently disappeared while crossing the Channel.

This is one of the reason I buy mostly from Germany if I can, the shipping cost to Frankreich.. er France, sorry, is never too expensive on contrary to the UK shipping cost. This is just crazy.

So, most my atari STs are germans. Keyboard and TOS.