IGNORED

Problem with newly obtained steering wheel and roller controller

goldenegg

I just received a package from Atari2600.com with both the steering wheel and roller controllers. I'm having trouble with both controllers and wanted to see if there's anything I might be able to fix myself or if there might be something wrong with my system (purchased and modded by a forum member).

For the wheel, the pedal works fine, but the wheel itself is completely unresponsive. I've tried two different sets of Coleco Perma Power battery replacements, which work fine in tabletop games, with no luck. The cable is firmly inserted in to the controller port.

The roller controller's buttons are fine and the ball will control games with the up and down movements, but left and right don't work. Well ... if I roll the ball hard enough I'll get some slight movement. This problem occurs in both roller and joystick mode. Again, all cables are firmly inserted, including power.

Any ideas? Was I just unlucky and got two defective units?

I just received a package from Atari2600.com with both the steering wheel and roller controllers. I'm having trouble with both controllers and wanted to see if there's anything I might be able to fix myself or if there might be something wrong with my system (purchased and modded by a forum member).

For the wheel, the pedal works fine, but the wheel itself is completely unresponsive. I've tried two different sets of Coleco Perma Power battery replacements, which work fine in tabletop games, with no luck. The cable is firmly inserted in to the controller port.

The roller controller's buttons are fine and the ball will control games with the up and down movements, but left and right don't work. Well ... if I roll the ball hard enough I'll get some slight movement. This problem occurs in both roller and joystick mode. Again, all cables are firmly inserted, including power.

Any ideas? Was I just unlucky and got two defective units?

Not sure why you are trying to fix them, I would think Atari2600 would take them back.

David,

Sorry to hear about the controllers issues. Both were cleaned, tested and serviced onour test unit prior to shipment so I would highly doubt either controller is defective.

It could be an installation issue, the use of the perma-power, or a defective ColecoVision system.

Roller Controller:

Have you inserted the Roller Controller plugs into the correct joystick ports #1, and #2? The plugs are numbered.

Are you testing the controller with the Slither cartridge we provided in the Roller switch position?

Driving Controller:

Is the Driving Controller plugged into controller port #2?

The Perma-Power may not have adequate mA output for the Driving Controller. Test with batteries instead.

Are you testing the controller with the Turbo cartridge we provided?

JC

Atari2600.com

I believe even the roller controller uses two serial encoders, one for up-down and another for right-left. My guess is the right-left optical sensor is bad on that one as well.

Really, it is not your 'bad luck'. My success rate with finding good working steering wheels and roller controllers has been about a 50% proposition. These things are 30 years old and were not built with the most reliable electronic components to begin with.

David,

Sorry to hear about the controllers issues. Both were cleaned, tested and serviced onour test unit prior to shipment so I would highly doubt either controller is defective.

It could be an installation issue, the use of the perma-power, or a defective ColecoVision system.

Roller Controller:

Have you inserted the Roller Controller plugs into the correct joystick ports #1, and #2? The plugs are numbered.

Are you testing the controller with the Slither cartridge we provided in the Roller switch position?

Driving Controller:

Is the Driving Controller plugged into controller port #2?

The Perma-Power may not have adequate mA output for the Driving Controller. Test with batteries instead.

Are you testing the controller with the Turbo cartridge we provided?

JC

Atari2600.com

Yup, I'm testing with both the Turbo and Slither carts provided and can confirm 100% that all cables were in their proper spot.

I'm surprised to hear about potential issue with the Perma-Power pack, as the manual for the wheel states they can be used. I can try to source some C batteries over the weekend for testing.

The standard and super action controllers don't have any problem on my system. Also, controllers which are connected through the roller controller work fine as well.

As you stated, standard Hand Controllers and Super Action Controllers are all working properly on your Modded CV System, so that should rule out the possibility of the system and controller ports being at fault. BTW, and it shouldn't matter, does the Speed Roller on the SACs respond properly when used with one of the sports titles? Also, are you just testing with games or do you have one of the numerous Controller Test Utilities that are available like the ones that come built-into the AtariMax MultiCarts?

As far as the Driving Module (DM): The 9-pin plug from the DM HAS to be attached to Controller Port #1, the Hand Controller in Controller Port #2 is then placed into the open well area in the DM. The Gas Pedal plugs into the front jack on the Driving Controller... no brainer there. The Perma Power Batteries DO work just fine with the DM and you know they are working because you have tested on one of the Coleco Tabletops but, just to be sure, double check how you have them orientated in the DM and also test with 4-C Batteries. If things are still not working properly, than the DM is defective and maybe something (optical sensor) got knocked loose in shipping.

The Roller Controller (RC) hookup is a no-brainer as well and seeing that the two Hand Controllers that attached to the RC are working, that rules out a lot of possibilities. Again, check that #1 9-pin plug is attached to Controller Port #1 and #2 is attached to Controller Port #2 and then attach the Power Adapter to the system and the Power Cord to the Power Adapter. VERY IMPORTANT that when you want to use the RC for games that REQUIRE it like Slither and Victory that the little selector switch is set to "ROLLER" and then for any other games like Centipede, the switch is set to "JOYSTICK" but you use the Trakball to play or you use one of the Hand Controllers.

Aside from that, it may all boil down to "Murphy's Law" unfortunately and if they are not working, you will have to send them back for replacement.

Good discussion, however, both controllers were fully operational 1 week ago. It would seem exceptionally unlikely both would fail during shipping. The problem most likely lies with your ColecoVision game system.

From your description both controllers are non-operational in the left-right directional control. The Driving Controller will not turn left and right and the Roller Controller will not operate in the left-right direction. The similar nature of the failure points again to the system not to the controllers.

Curious if the same left-right problem exists with Slither in 2-player mode. Testing would help troubleshoot whether there is a problem with your #1 joystick port.

Really, some entrepreneurial individual should go into the business of manufacturing new optical encoders for the CV controllers. I ordered some (not quite the same size) off ebay a while back, soldered them in place, but it was a failed experiment.

Good discussion, however, both controllers were fully operational 1 week ago. It would seem exceptionally unlikely both would fail during shipping. The problem most likely lies with your ColecoVision game system.

From your description both controllers are non-operational in the left-right directional control. The Driving Controller will not turn left and right and the Roller Controller will not operate in the left-right direction. The similar nature of the failure points again to the system not to the controllers.

Curious if the same left-right problem exists with Slither in 2-player mode. Testing would help troubleshoot whether there is a problem with your #1 joystick port.

I tried Slither in 2-player mode, but had the same issue.

One difference between the controllers is that I can get some slight left/right movement for the roller controller if I roll the ball hard. No amount of turning the wheel will show a change in direction.

How do these controllers send their directional data to the console? Do they use the exact same data lines as the regular joysticks? Is there something that could be wrong with the ports on the console to cause this problem?

This makes me wary.. I had just begun a hunt for a reasonably priced, perfectly functioning roller controller.

Well, if you decide to purchase through Atari2600.com, rest assured that they thoroughly test everything sold. I have purchased numerous games and controllers from them and have been 100% satisfied everytime.

Sometimes things just happen for no explainable reason and the verdict is still out in this case if the CV system is at fault or the controllers. Too bad "goldenegg" doesn't have another CV or even an ADAM to test the controllers on.

BTW, the only thing bad that I can think of to say about Atari2600.com is that they didn't give me a heads-up when some CV CIBs that I need went up for sale!!! :mad:

Edited by NIAD

Well, if you decide to purchase through Atari2600.com, rest assured that they thoroughly test everything sold. I have purchased numerous games and controllers from them and have been 100% satisfied everytime.

Sometimes things just happen for no explainable reason and the verdict is still out in this case if the CV system is at fault or the controllers. Too bad "goldenegg" doesn't have another CV or even an ADAM to test the controllers on.

BTW, the only thing bad that I can think of to say about Atari2600.com is that they didn't give me a heads-up when some CV CIBs that I need went up for sale!!! :mad:

Which games do you need?Also, will atari roller controllers work on cv with the champs adaptor?

Which games do you need?Also, will atari roller controllers work on cv with the champs adaptor?

Some of the ones that you so luckily came across in that huge and might I add, incredible purchase:

- Logic Levels

- Memory Manor

- Slurpy

- Word Feud

- WizMath

Three educational games that everyone loves to hate except in order to complete a collection and two very bad Xonox games... well, I guess Word Feud could be considered educational as well.

As far as using an Atari Trakball via any means, no, it is not possible unless someone can mod them.

Ohh, too bad. I was really hoping that champs adaptor would be the answer for me, as I have two new atari trackball controllers. I haven't used any trackball controller for these consoles yet. Do any jump out as better (is the atari one worth modding)? I wonder why it won't jive with the adaptor.

Alright, sorry for getting off topic. I'm done now.

I'm having trouble with both controllers and wanted to see if there's anything I might be able to fix myself or if there might be something wrong with my system (purchased and modded by a forum member).

Could your system's modification be the cause of the problem? I know the A/V mod disables the use of the ColecoVision's expansion port. The only common feature with both Driving Controller and Roller Controller is the optical encoders used to signal controller movement. Theoretical at this point but perhaps the mod causes the ColecoVision to not fully recognize the L/R directional signals sent from the controllers.

Please return both controllers under warranty. I'll send you return instructions offline to your personal e-mail account.

JC

Atari2600.com

Could your system's modification be the cause of the problem? I know the A/V mod disables the use of the ColecoVision's expansion port. The only common feature with both Driving Controller and Roller Controller is the optical encoders used to signal controller movement. Theoretical at this point but perhaps the mod causes the ColecoVision to not fully recognize the L/R directional signals sent from the controllers.

Please return both controllers under warranty. I'll send you return instructions offline to your personal e-mail account.

JC

Atari2600.com

The expansion port works fine on my system. I play 2600 games using the expansion module #1 all the time.