IGNORED

jaguar won´t power off

kristjanga

I just got my fyrst Atari Jaguar console

all is great but it has a small problem

the thing is that as soon as I plug the power brick it turns on, and is does not matter if there is a game in or not

and the power switch.. well the only thing it does is turning the sound on and off

has anyone here heard of this kind of failure?

...Kristjan

Two things would have to happen for the power to be permantly on in the manner you describe.

First the power switch must be broken in the on position (or bypassed).

Second the cart in/out on the cartridge connector must be shorted out.

However you say powering the Jag only turns the sound on and off is that with a cart in or out?

With cart out all you should just get hiss if anything as there is no data to produce any other sounds from other than the boot rom.

With a cartridge in or out do you see the Jaguar boot sequence or just hear the tumbling "music" and the Jaguar roar?

i can play games

what I will do is ( as soon as I get a new solder iron) remove the switch from the motherboard and clean it or replace it and see where it gets me

I think i might have one of those switch in a old pc here (if i am correct this is the same switch used in those turbo switches back in the day)

It still sounds like may be a blown regulator to me. Could be whom ever plugged in the wrong cord did so very quickly but then realized it very fast and pulled out (that's what she said) causing the main regulator to be stuck in the on position. The sound goes off because it didn't blow the secondary sound regulator. Just a guess (the first option is still clear, explore the power switch).

• 8 years later...
On 10/28/2012 at 12:07 AM, kristjanga said:

I just got my fyrst Atari Jaguar console

all is great but it has a small problem

the thing is that as soon as I plug the power brick it turns on, and is does not matter if there is a game in or not

and the power switch.. well the only thing it does is turning the sound on and off

has anyone here heard of this kind of failure?

...Kristjan

I’m having the same problem. Did you find out why and fix it?

On 10/27/2012 at 6:31 PM, save2600 said:

Sounds like a solder joint broke. Touch up the cold solder or simply use a power strip to power cycle your Jag. :P

What I was going to say.   I've done similar for a Mac I have with a broken power button.