IGNORED

time for another xm update?

mimo

Is Curt honestly thinking that he'll get the XM to a state with zero bugs? What ships with zero bugs, anyhow? Nothing I've ever programmed for...the problems are usually either documented, patched later, or circumvented by the programmers as they are found.

I hope he doesn't do something that breaks some of the games that are already in the can.

(...)

it was made with the SOFT CELL demo , entire song + color cycling graphics with 512k+pokey ,

the scheme is 78POK512 and in that case 78QUICK had to be used because it was not signed

Actually the Soft Cell sound is just TIA but you are right that a 512k+pokey scheme for cc2 exists.

However one of the advantages of the XM is the different Pokey memory mapping but I think it was mentioned before.

I haven't ordered a XM yet but I wouldn't be worried about my money because I am sure that Curt will do his best to finish it and the XM will surely be a great device.

• Like 1

Actually the Soft Cell sound is just TIA but you are right that a 512k+pokey scheme for cc2 exists.

However one of the advantages of the XM is the different Pokey memory mapping but I think it was mentioned before.

I haven't ordered a XM yet but I wouldn't be worried about my money because I am sure that Curt will do his best to finish it and the XM will surely be a great device.

Soft Cell with all that Song Voices on TIA ???!!

by the way

You should have ordered the XM once it was "ready to ship"

then your grandchildren would have been able to enjoy it very much :D

My two cents. I'm a pretty patient guy, but now 2 years in, I'm getting a little tired of the wait too. We had a huge blow up about this all about a year ago. People encouraged Curt to update weekly to prevent irritation. He said he'd do it. And he did for like a month... then, he stopped.

Now people are getting irritated again, myself included this time. (As an aside, I understand Hurricane Sandy threw a wrench in there, but that only accounts for a month.)

Curt really needs to understand that people have put money out there on this project. While I don't think he's not going to deliver, as someone who's been in customer service for almost a decade, I san say honestly that a lot of this whole mess of dissatisfaction could be avoided by just being forthright and updating regularly.

Curt is putting more stress on himself by not being smart about this. He's created this situation all by himself, even after numerous people went to him and strongly suggested how he fairly easily could solve the issue. I don't think it's too much to ask to take 5 minutes out of your week to let the people who've spent real money know what's going on. What makes me sad is he's probably burning out over it, and if he'd just communicate, people would be tons more supportive and enthusiastic, which in turn might help to keep him from burning out.

I'm not meaning to bitch here. I'm just laying it out like I see it. For me, my money is already spent, 2 years ago. I'm willing to keep waiting, but I will say that expecting people to keep waiting with limited information is starting to get ridiculous.

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 2

His last update was 11/13:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/expansion/

Nov 13th - Okay, just spoke with Mark on a bunch of things, last 2 1/2 weeks were completely lost due to Hurricane Sandy and then the Nor'easter that hit. Office power was down for a while, some minor damage to the roof and looks like I've got 2 leaks coming into the workshop downstairs, but fortunately its on the opposite side of the shop so all of the boxes of XM cases, cartridge parts and other things never were in trouble. The Legacyengineer.com server is down however, so I am working to try and get things fixed with that. So I'm trying to get things back on track again and need some comments back from Mark this coming weekend, so I'll get another update up early next week,

Yes, I saw that, but it doesn't negate the fact that lack of communication has indeed been a chronic issue.

I've been a defender of Mr Vendel thus far, and as I said, I'm willing to keep waiting. I'm just airing frustration about the communication issue that certainly is not unique to me. It's been 2 years for a project that most of us expected to have gotten about a year an a half ago.

In case folks haven't noticed, here is an update posted yesterday:

NOV 29th - Design is locked down. No further changes, or modifications whatsoever. With the holidays coming, I will begin to order in the new boards. Mark and I will implement the firmware and after the New Year I will prepare the workshop for assembly, and begin to build out the XM's to begin shipping January 30th. So this is it, no more changes, no more attempts at further compatibility with any further games, the design is locked down and now its time to get past the holiday madness and focus on preparing to build XM's. I should be able to do 5-6 daily and get them out to first ordered first and go through the list. I will email people in batches to verify addresses, if I don't get a reply back, they get bumped to the next batch and if I still don't hear I'll keep bumping them until I'm at the end of the list and if I have to start making phone calls or posting on Atariage asking if anyone has heard from such and such a person, I will but I'm not holding anything up any further, time to move forward, everyone has waited long enough and too much time has been invested into this project.

There you have it, folks! January 30. :) Thanks for the update XM Team!

• Like 6

Thats good news... forgive me here but will there be any xm games at release ?

Depends what you mean exactly. Beef Drop VE is XM compatible since it uses the Xboard pokey address. Any game that is compatible with a high score cart is XM compatible.

Hopefully I'm in the first batch.