IGNORED

Super Game Module a gamers perspective

the.golden.ax

I'm excited about the SGM. However, at the same time I've been doing allot of soul searching with regard to my game collecting and what I actually keep / play. I'm not a die hard fanboy of ANY platform. Sure I like some more than others but the root of my gaming habit is simply that I love games. That said, if there is a better version of a game, or one I just like to play more than another, I've been making every effort to prune down my collection and only have my favorite or best version of the title on a single platform. No more four copies of Q*bert on four systems. With flash carts if I really want to play a different version I can do so via that method. Just because "it's on coleco" doesn't mean I've got to have it (nor does it make it better / best).

A few examples so you readers understand where I'm coming from; Visually speaking Pitfall on the 2600 is inferior, but it is still my favorite version because I'm used to the feel of it. Popeye may be better to some on the NES, but my favorite version is the Coleco version, same with DK and DKJ. I played those on CV as a kid so they just move and sound right to me. Some games I never played until I was an adult, like Penguin Land on SMS and Coleco. In my opinion the ColecoVision while very nice is NOT better than the Sega Master system version. Other than being darn cool in a blue cart I can't justify keeping BOTH the CV and SMS version (that BTW gets more play).

While it's nice that people are expanding the CV library, but from a non-fanboy perspective (as a total gamer) the SGM line up leaves me wondering what titles are from the ground up homebrews that are not already available on other systems. It seems redundant to take the chance (with already limited funds) on making a purchase for games that are already available on the NES for example - if they aren't superior AND I already own them (Gradius, Zanac). I can understand purchasing a game that is not easily available on a USA system (like many of the MSX ports) and ESPECIALLY supporting the homebrew scene. A space invaders from the ground up (not just some ported code) means allot more to me, and doesn't generally qualify in my mind as a "duplicate" available on another platform.

It's all about the experience. I hope some can relate with where I'm coming from. I just can't get everything for the sake of having everything. It isn't practical in my life. Maybe this has been discussed before. What I'm specifically asking, and would like to do here is simply to have a discussion on the lineup of upcoming SGM games. Their origins, what platforms the titles are available on already, and how they differ. What makes one version of a game or the original superior in any way? I'm very supportive of the hardware and it's potential, but would like to also discuss what makes the SGM itself, or the specific titles that are coming worthy of a purchase.

Looking forward to a robust discussion.

• Like 3

At this point in time, I'm more enclined to offer the perspective of a homebrew publisher: I believe I have a responsability to those who will be purchasing a SGM to publish as many SGM-related games as I can, so that CV fans can really get their money's worth from purchasing the module. This mostly means releasing ports for the foreseable future.

As a gamer, I'm very excited about all these upcoming releases, because I'm the exact opposite of you: I don't have any other system than a ColecoVision console, and so I don't care that the Sega Master System offers a better version of Penguin Land.

I'm all for releasing brand new and original games that make good use of the extra RAM and sound capabilities of the SGM, but for that to happen, knowledgeable homebrewers need to sit down and create these games. That's the nice thing about ports, the software is done, mostly debugged and usually tweaked to offer a challenging difficulty curve. Creating and programming a game completely from scratch is a much more involving process, not everyone has a natural talent for good game design, and some homebrewers tend to be purists when it comes to using add-on hardware.

So it seems obvious to me that, given the age of the ColecoVision, the best way to insure the success of a device such as the SGM is through MSX and arcade ports, because just like any other add-on in video game history, it's the games that are important, not the add-on itself.

• Like 2

I agree with Ax in that "yet another X port" has little value to me, since I have many consoles and computers. On the other hand, an excellent port of an oft-ported game is nearly always appreciated. Mostly, though, I like ports of obscure but good arcade games (that's one of the reasons I liked CV in the 80s -- it had Venture, Lady Bug, Looping, and other somewhat obscure games that were very enjoyable, just overlooked at the arcades). I see that as the CV's reason for being. :)

I'd love to see more original games of the SGM, but my main interest in the expansion comes from being able to play Dragon's Lair and Super Zaxxon without getting an Adam. Yes, it's a lot of money to spend for 2 games, but it's completely worth it to me.

Yes, I'd forgotten about those. I'd have to say that's true for me, too.

I would also love bug-fixed, cart-only releases of well-known buggy games such as Burgertime, too. No need for a box; I can put it in the box I own. I'd just love to finally be able to play all the way through without any problems!

Ax, thank you for making this thread. It is a great discussion I have been curious to see played out.

I thought at first I probably wouldn't get an sgm, as I just started cv collecting this year (and spent a lot of money relative to my usual gaming budget). Then, I heard an epic version of DK was coming out. This swayed me a bit, as I love DK, and to have an amazing console version would please me greatly. If someone did what Ransom said and made a bug free Burgertime, I would be swayed even more. Now, if someone announced an arcade perfect port of Tapper was on the way, I would be ready to spend my food money to make sure I got a copy.

My needs are kinda different from an average gamer, I guess. I've always been into games with editors or systems with game makers. Also, games that involve creating your own space like RPGs. Coleco pretty much started and ended with Arcade ports. Now It's beginning again with Arcade ports from other systems. Since I'm a multi-platform guy it just doesn't excite me.

This doesn't mean I'm against it - just that I'm not the target demographic.

To me, homebrew releases offer the ability to see the system "as it could've been". Sort of like pulling something from an alternate dimension where things played out a little differently. To that end, I value and cherish all the ports of games that never existed on the system, particularly ones that never got a North American console release. Obscure arcade games and MSX ports are the things I love to see homebrew releases of.

Retroillucid, I think all four games you mentioned would be instant purchases for me. Certainly 3 of them. Thanks for your work!

Ax, I pretty much agree with you. I would generally rather have the closest to the real thing arcade port or the best version otherwise available, and play that one pretty much exclusively. For example, take Moon Patrol...I really enjoy this game and like every available version I have played (for the most part), and I own a couple versions, but the best version to me is the arcade-perfect version available on PS1 (Midway's Greatest Hits Vol. 2).

HOWEVER, I can't wait to get my hands on Space Patrol, because it is not only an arcade port but BUILDS on the original with additional backgrounds, new play mechanics, etc. I would purchase any and every homebrew that actually builds on the original levels and/or mechanics while remaining faithful to the arcade original.

Relevant to your point, the upcoming DK for the CV will be by far the closest to the real thing ever released, surpassing the NES version, from what I understand. So that is a must purchase for me.

Edited by DoctorTom

- Montezuma's Realm ( original sequel to Montezuma's Revenge ) *tentative title*

:lust: Now that you said it... :lust: you better :D I'd be all over that. I have to be honest, selling off my 5200 and 2600 Monty was kinda hard to do, but with the SMS version being my favorite I "pulled that bandaide" off this past week. Got nearly $200 out of those two so it was pleasant. Without selling some of this overlapping stuff I couldn't afford the new stuff. Another great example like Monty's Revenge is the Ghost N Zombies game. Y'all know I'm selling my Penguin Land by now (you check the scene daily... you know) and my reasons why. Ghost N Zombies is the pinnacle of what I want to buy / why I want to keep a homebrew title as a treasure.

Relevant to your point, the upcoming DK for the CV will be by far the closest to the real thing ever released, surpassing the NES version, from what I understand. So that is a must purchase for me.

Yep, for me the Transformer style game, Zaxxon, and DK are all reasons. I want Super Buck Rogers on a cart more than life itself though. If I have to keep playing it on a tape then I may as well keep doing the same with Zaxxon. I'd LOVE to cut out the tape drive (yeah after all these years the Adam drive is on my last nerve) and not have a reason to use it.

My mindset is basically the same, as I have immediate access to most of the common consoles (for North America). I prefer to see ports of games which were not widely available on a vintage platform outside of the arcade, were exclusive to another country / region (Japan), or even those which were exclusive to a PC platform (such as Adam). This is why I wound up purchasing Super Pac Man, Moon Cresta, and Scramble for the 7800.

That said, significantly enhanced versions of existing titles do catch my attention - D2K and Pac Man 4k being titles that pique my interest. :)

-Rob

• Like 1

I am one of those who has no other systems so getting homebrews from other systems is great because it will be the first time and only way I would play them.

I especially think it is cool to perfect an arcade game and then add new exciting levels to them.

Now a perfect rendition of tapper and dig dug would be awesome since those are my two favorite games.

As a kid my main interest was arcade games. Consoles were only good as a way to be able to play those arcade games home. So my original collection of Atari and Coleco games were comprised of nothing but arcade ports. Today I think I can appreciate original games like Pitfall and Enduro a lot more, but back then it was all about arcade games.

That said, I am not much of a game designer myself, neither have I the interest in investing on that beyond perhaps a couple of ideas I have for games based on movies, so then they wouldn't still be 100% original material.

When I created the SGM I had mainly two types of games in mind, arcade ports and MSX ports. MSX games look to me like the natural extension of what the CV would have become if it wasn't for the crash. Arcade ports on the other hand has a totally different motivation. I am mostly into golden age arcade games, because those were the games that had the most influence on me. And what drives me in this case is to see how close I can get considering the limitations of the CV hardware, so I would say it is more of a technical challenge (and the fact that I still truly enjoy those games after all this years) than anything else.

Now, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to see more original games, or sequels for classic games or things like that released for the SGM. In fact I hope we get a lot of those games. It is just that I am not personally interested in creating them myself.

I once saw an interview with a famous Brazilian actor and when asked why he had decided to become an actor, he said that it was a dream he had as a kid, and that only childhood dreams really matters in life. I had never thought about the matter but I instantaneously realized he was right. So I would say that I have been fortunate enough to see my childhood dreams become reality one after the other, and I really hope I will see a lot more before I am done and gone.

I once saw an interview with a famous Brazilian actor and when asked why he had decided to become an actor, he said that it was a dream he had as a kid, and that only childhood dreams really matters in life. I had never thought about the matter but I instantaneously realized he was right. So I would say that I have been fortunate enough to see my childhood dreams become reality one after the other, and I really hope I will see a lot more before I am done and gone.

That one about living at Chuck E Cheeses with free ice cream and pizza only ends in gastric evacuation and diabetic shock. If you can, skip that one!

I've been exploring some of my CV MSX ports today and I'm more than happy to add those to my collection since I don't have no do I want an imported MSX system... provided that title isn't already available on the NES or other comparable system in the USA already. I love Gradius for example, but personally I wouldn't see a reason to buy it for CV "just because." It would have to be different in some way.

I didn't care for the Pitfall II Arcade. Having played a bunch of Pitfall II on 5200 over the past week, I think I'm going to keep that version and let my CV cart go. Gulkave I really like and there isn't another port of it other than MSX, so it is staying in the collection. Y'all already know how much I love my PMC.. that will never leave (I had a CV system modified to commemorate that title). My daughters like Girls Garden, I could take it or leave it honestly. It stays for now. Elmo Peek-A-Boo is probably going to go. :D I just don't have a reason other than the color cart. As much as that is cool... I'd rather sink the funds into something else that comes along.

AX

Personally, I have mixed feelings about the SGM. I have pre-ordered it, which I am very excited about. But, it's not completely worth it to me, as I have an SG-1000 already. SG-1000 games are somewhat rare, but common enough to be able to afford a collection. I already have 20 SG-1000 games :D. Anyway though, I cannot afford an MSX or MANY of the games for it. EBay prices are insane for MSX goods, and that is where the SGM comes in. Also, I have never played a perfect port of Donkey Kong in my life. The NES version of DK Jr. has all 4 levels, but not DK. DK NES only has the first three. I am really excited to get to play the pie factory stage frequently :). Also, the value of the SGM is enormous for a collector like myself. There were 2 million Colecos sold! But, there may only be 500 or a thousand SGMs. Because they may become very rare in the future, that is another great reason to buy an SGM. I am also excited to play Zaxxon Super game, as that is an exclusive sequel to Zaxxon that is completely different from Super Zaxxon in the arcade. I am a fan of the Coleco version, and I would love to own the SG-1000 version. :)

Those are my reasons as to why I am buying a SGM.

SG-1000 games can be found for cheap , the console certainly not

I can't see myself buying a SG-1000 console just to play the games

Don't look at the SGM like it will only serve as a MSX/2 conversions

It will offer alot more than that!

Sure, for the SGM release, almost all games will be MSX conversions, but over the next year, more original stuff will come out

Only time will prove Eduardo was right about doing this module

And I'm sure he is ;)

• Like 1