IGNORED

Lynx Mock-Ups

AtariLynx Lover

Cool stuff!

I love the great ape.

One Thing that puzzles me though is the Omnibot's eyes, like their Arrangement with the perspective. He Looks a bit crazy right now. Shouldn't they both be on the same height, or if you are going for an angled view, when he is looking to the right the left eye should be lower than the right one instead of vice versa?

Anyway, some great stuff, and a genre the Lynx Needs. Blowing up baddies from a sideview. Even a Cousin of Sturmwind's Kraken appears! :P

I especially like the wall with the lighting on Picture no.3, and the fifth one with the red sky gives me a Rygar vibe.

Edited by 108 Stars

OmniWars for Atari Lynx

I'd like to show you some mock-ups and animations (made by me) and two demos (made by Matthias Domin, he made them just for fun based on the mock-ups "tutorial" and "underwater-stage" without knowing further details about the project) that were created last year. I hope you like it ;-)

OmniWars_Screens_20130824_zps1e091b82.pn

Robert_alle_Phasen_11Farben_20130906_zps

Beam_20131110_zps57a7ec39.gif

PowerUps_131013_zps2e34f0c3.gif

Drohnen_130919_zps45b4f4f1.gif

Jungle_Playground_Overview131108_zpscb9a

Moskito_131106_zps47507748.gif

AggroAeffchen_131112_zps5411afa8.gif

Lynxer_131119_zpsc7bc51cb.gif

Gorilla_Zyklop_131030_zps1c7f55f4.gif

Wow.

Just W O W.

Please make a game out of this!

• Like 1

I think it is far too early for that. I'd rather continue to create more material (always trying to fulfill the requirements for a Lynx game) step by step and when I'm sure that I won't be wasting any coder's time, I'll ask around if anyone is interested in joining the project.

Edit: I always forget about the sound ... This game will of course also need at least one music-track for the title screen and some ingame-soundeffects.

Edited by Omnibot2000

Thank you GadgetUK :)

A game about Omnibots?! Holy crap that's awesome!

If this game will ever be made, it will feature an Omnibot 2000 for narcissistic reasons, but that (and the similarity of the hero to a standard Omnibot) is where it ends. I'm not sure if TOMY would/will like it anyway ;)

So, one coder has already stated he finds it awesome. I think the release of this game is now settled. :P

:D I like that response, that's for sure. We'll see if this will become a reality someday. I hope that IF I find the time and motivation, other people will be willing to build up a team.

@woolfman: brilliant ;)

The original style used less contrast, softer outlines:post-36744-0-29370900-1417290236.jpg

I actually began with OmniWars when I learned of Candle's screen-mod. The style had a modern display in mind.

108 Stars advised me to use dark outlines and I think it was a great hint because it generally looks much sharper, more defined, just better (and will also work with the standard screen).

Regarding the storyline: Don't expect something special here, it is a little story for a little game.

I think the controls are more interesting, I thought quite a while about them ;)

• 1 year later...

Thanks. You're right, that dragon looked kind of flat.

At some point whilst drawing something "for the Lynx" I always need at least ONE more colour :D I originally wanted to avoid mingling the "black" into the characters because I feared it would result in too much contrast. That's why I now set the green one nuance darker and after that followed your advice and added the "black". I also tried to improve the dragon's skin to give it a more "scaly" look. I think it looks a little better now.

post-36744-0-98716800-1455367672_thumb.png

Edited by Omnibot2000
  • Like 2

Here, you did not ask for it, but I intensified the shading anyway. :P

I also used the dark grey. It is not perfect, but the darkest tone you have.

Another trick I use (and this is concering your problem of running out of colors):

Use completely different colors for shading.Even if you don't have a darker green for the dragon left, look what else you have in the palette, there might be something that works. In this case, I used the darkest brown. This is a very common method for low color retro graphics. Colors that do not neccessarily belong together, but give the right impression in the overall look.

The brown tones I was also able to use to shade the yellow parts. :)

You could still tweak the exact tones a bit, maybe make the brown and grey a notch darker, but that's the general idea. :)

post-21561-0-77713500-1455381848_thumb.png

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 2

I don't really like the shading on the body. While it certainly looks more plastic, In my eyes the dragon doesn't fit in its surroundings anymore. While it is obviously an improvement when you isolate the dragon, it's kind of too detailed compared to the general style of the scene. But maybe that's just me ;) The wings are much better like that though! Thanks!

• Like 1