IGNORED

Space Battle cart/rom variant question

pimpmaul69

i have about 10 carts and 2 roms with different crc's. i have tried to find where the fast/slow difference is. i found 1 person on youtube that states that pressing 4 has a super difficult level on the fast version. i have tried all my carts and roms and i cant find any difference. i just started getting into playing this game and i am liking it. i just like to play variants to see what i like better and having the option to play the different versions. so if anyone can shed some real help it would be appreciated.

Edited by pimpmaul69

I found that I had to play them in rapid succession to really be sure of the difference, but the fast one is definitely faster, at least on the highest difficulty setting, "advanced". Use the disc to select it -- I don't know if the 4 key will too, but the disc is what you're supposed to use.

Try counting the number of pixels each set of ships moves per "beep". That's what made it crystal-clear to me; there were something like 2-3 position shifts per beep in the slow version, and more like 4-5 in the fast.

Yeah, there is a definite difference. I just ran a simple benchmark: How long does it take to lose if you do nothing?

space_battle_a.gifspace_battle_b.gif

In .BIN format, the two versions have the following CRCs:

• Slow: E7DB639D
  • Fast: F95504E0

In .ROM format, the two versions have the following CRCs:

• Slow: 8130DC15
  • Fast: 2028B7C0

I had received a PM on this the other day, but I replied too slowly. My apologies.

• Like 1

This game came in a RED box when it was first released.

It was later changed to Space Network Blue.

Maybe the box color change coinsided with the speed increase?

I would bet the red box versions are SLOW

Where do we find this version..... It is kind of a single player Sharp Shot SPACE BATTLE.

I remember this from 11 ALIVE WPIX in NY.

This has to by Intellivision... But the larger graphics are not in Space Battle?

Maybe they where removed when the Battle Star Galactic deal fell apart?

1980gamer

all i have is the fast version. no boxes just carts but even have one in the old cartridge case. i think the first one i had was a slow one but i sold an intv with 73 games to someone on here and i think he got that cart. i am gonna keep searching for the slow rom so i can do a comparison

This game came in a RED box when it was first released.

It was later changed to Space Network Blue.

Maybe the box color change coinsided with the speed increase?

I would bet the red box versions are SLOW

Where do we find this version..... It is kind of a single player Sharp Shot SPACE BATTLE.

I remember this from 11 ALIVE WPIX in NY. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=VnmbBgEWpSg&NR=1

This has to by Intellivision... But the larger graphics are not in Space Battle?

Maybe they where removed when the Battle Star Galactic deal fell apart?

1980gamer

Apparently both Sharp Shot and Space Battle were used in TV POWWW and TV PIX.

Oh, and we totally had a lamp like the one in the background of that video. Oh, the 80s!

Oh, and we totally had a lamp like the one in the background of that video. Oh, the 80s!

i had a friend who for 20 years had the 3 piece set of the bundy's couch on married with children. and i still own the ice bucket in foremans kitchen on that 70's show. it is so 70's