IGNORED

Birthday Mania - Unwrapped

Atari_Warlord

I'm really looking forward to the game. I still think that if the original programmer had been able to advertise on a bigger platform then everybody and their brother would have probably ordered it. I know I would have loved to have it. That would be a keepsake that you'd never get rid of. When I was a boy some kids lost their minds when their parents got them pencils with their names on them!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

For the record, Waggie is not the only source for this particular rom. The rom is also in possession of the actual person who painstakingly assembled it by typing it all in. And quite possibly with another member here who may have been consulted in order to enhance it with a user controlled name entry feature and/or to correct the garbled text glitch.

Sadly its joined the club. The unusually long, patience testing, information lacking, waiting period club. Whose infamous members include: Turbo, Charlie Brown, Pink Panther, Tank Blitz, Choplifter, Zoo Keeper, 5200 Madden, 7800 XM, and a whole lot of others we aint never heard of.

• Like 2

Sadly its joined the club. The unusually long, patience testing, information lacking, waiting period club. Whose infamous members include: Turbo, Charlie Brown, Pink Panther, Tank Blitz, Choplifter, Zoo Keeper, 5200 Madden, 7800 XM, and a whole lot of others we aint never heard of.

Most of those didn't take 7 years and there was a lot more BS surrounding many of those titles. Mind you, many are still unreleased to this day as you have mentioned.

To be honest, I think only the Blue Sky Rangers proto's are true members of this club.

The others (which are only a handful at this moment) will eventually be released.

Turbo, Pink Panther and Charlie Brown were released to the public a long time ago, btw.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 1

Yes, of course. Some we have already, some were still waiting. I wasnt compiling a list of undumped or unreleased things, rather a list of things that require(d) an unusual or unrealistic amount of time & patience.

And yes, I agree, most if not all of those dont concern me or keep me up at night, as they are all in the hands of well known members here and they are preserved & safe either way. While some of the BSR protos are still as of yet unconfirmed as having been preserved, because we have yet to see any emulated screen captures of them.

Truth is, this particular one could end up going in a similar direction as the BSR Anteater proto. Whereas someone here said the heck with it & made it themselves. Meaning here, I wouldnt be surprised if someone does the same exact thing Waggie did, and sources the rom again.

• Like 3

Truth is, this particular one could end up going in a similar direction as the BSR Anteater proto. Whereas someone here said the heck with it & made it themselves. Meaning here, I wouldn't be surprised if someone does the same exact thing Waggie did, and sources the rom again.

Yep. People need to remember that the source code is publicly available. It may not be readily accessible (i.e. online), but it is available, and anyone with sufficient skill can (re)create their own version of this cartridge!

While, sadly, my programming skills are insufficient for this task, I think that it is a very clever idea to create one's own "prototype" of unavailable titles -- especially where enough information (such as screenshots and gameplay) exists to make a reasonable facsimile of the original.

• Like 2

I agree with what everyone is saying. To be honest, I have to say that this is probably the rom I would like to see the most. It would be nice to be able to get a customized cart, like having my daughter's name on it (she's also a gamer both classic and current), but to just be able to play it would be great. In one of my videos I put a link to an online version that someone made. Here is the link: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/49004598/fullscreen

In regards to the other "missing" roms, hopefully whoever has them they will release them soon. I personally would like to play Mark of the Mole (huge Residents fan here!) and Golden Skull. It's been a lot of fun getting to play some of these unreleased games and then talk with you guys here and on my channel. I'm glad I got a chance to play Pink Panther, as it does live up to the hype and was way ahead of its time. It is a shame it can't be dumped as I'd like for everyone to get a chance to enjoy it.

Still, I hope that someone will release the rom of Birthday Mania if they can't or aren't able to put it on a cart. I think many of you, like me, are just looking forward to playing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

It was never my intent to hold this game hostage for so long.  I'd still love to have the individualized versions published.  The main piece missing is an automatic way to update each ROM with a different name. 

Attached is a ROM with the original programmers name in recognition of his creation.  Thanks to Thomas for cleaning up the code and creating this version. Albert, if this can be added to the first post, please do so to make it easier to find.

Play Hints:

1. This is a paddle game (left port)

2. Left difficulty switch in A=narrow blast, B=wider blast

3. Reset starts new game

4. Select not used

5. B/W switch, Color position shows and plays Happy Birthday screen, B/W position skips intro screen

6. Right difficulty switch in A=single blow mode, B=continuous blow mode

7. The game pauses between waves and only starts the new wave when the fire button is pressed or if it is being held down.

8. Enjoy!

Birthday_Mania_Robert_A_Tokar.bin

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

3 minutes ago, Atari_Warlord said:

It was never my intent to hold this game hostage for so long.  I'd still love to have the individualized versions published.  The main piece missing is an automatic way to update each ROM with a different name.

This should be pretty easy to do, assuming the name is in an absolute position in the ROM and is a fixed number of characters.

..Al

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Albert said:

This should be pretty easy to do, assuming the name is in an absolute position in the ROM and is a fixed number of characters.

There is no character set stored, so what is displayed is a 48 pixel graphic. Still pretty easy to change, you just have to find one who has the time writing the quite simple program required.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

There is no character set stored, so what is displayed is a 48 pixel graphic. Still pretty easy to change, you just have to find one who has the time writing the quite simple program required.

Thomas, except for the name change this is the closest to the original ROM as possible, right?

8)

• Like 1