IGNORED

Got my Intellivision! Some surprises and first impressions...

DoctorTom

Got my Intellivision! (Actually, Sears Super Video Arcade.) It came one day earlier than expected, which was a nice surprise. Just set it up a couple hours ago.

Another surprise -- I didn't realize the system was coming with any games! (Not sure how I missed that on the ebay post. :)) Here's what came with it:

Poker and Blackjack

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

Lock 'N' Chase

Tron Deadly Discs

Auto Racing

Golf

NFL Football

World Championship Baseball

Armor Battle

Motocross

Mission X

Snafu

Donkey Kong

And a "mystery game" with no cartridge label = Burgertime.

Unfortunately, none of the games came with any boxes OR overlays. Kind of a bummer.

First impressions on the good...Burgertime is GREAT. I am NOT a big fan of this game on Colecovision, but this version is brighter, more colorful, features bigger sprites, and most importantly -- level design is better (I was surprised there was such a substantial difference), and the "baddie" programming is less random and is at least a little bit predictable, which makes it eminently more playable. You guys were right on the money about this one. D&D is really fun, but I could use an overlay. :) Lock 'N' Chase seems excellent as well, but I am having some controller issues with that one; hopefully as I practice I'll get better. :) Baseball is a lot of fun, but I prefer NES baseball for classic baseball action. Tron is a keeper -- I liked it on Atari and like it better on INTV thus far. Blackjack and Poker is kinda fun but nothing special. Golf is OK.

First impressions on the not-so-good...Auto Racing seems REALLY hard. Ditto Motocross. I probably will not be playing these much. Mission X seems like a poor man's River Raid. Snafu is alright, but I'd rather play something else. Donkey Kong -- enough said. Football and Armor Battle I need someone else to play with...

BTW, a couple questions...the video output "jumps" slightly every few seconds on my flatscreen; this does NOT happen with my other classic game systems, even when using the same cable. This is a channel independent problem. Is this a known problem? Any thoughts on what to do about it, if anything?

I believe D2K and Space Patrol should reach me this week. Can't wait for those!

Edited by DoctorTom

That's great! Congratulations on your find, and welcome to our world. :)

The jumping screen I get on mine when I hook it up to the flat screen. For the moment I use an old skool CRT TV.

I think someone mentioned that you need a signal amplifier. However, I haven't tried that yet.

Also, don't forget to get your Christmas Carol, too! The best season for it is quickly coming up. :)

That is great! Congratulations! The surprise game happens to be one of the best ports for the system! BurgerTime was very well done for the INTV. I can understand what you say about Auto Racing. It takes some getting used to to control but it does have beautiful graphics.

The "jumping" problem you have is the same I have with my INTV II. I thought a signal booster would help the problem but it did not. So, I've had to play my INTV games on my 13" CRT color TV. I'm not sure what causes the problem on the LCD TV's. If anyone has a solution, I'm all ears. :)

Oh, and do get Christmas Carol! ;)

I have had the screen on my HD TV go up......then down.....slightly......

Sometimes, some units do it on another HD TV I have......but seems to stop when I flick the switch on the bottom (channel) and plug in and unplug the RCA cable from the RF modulator........I don't know if it actually did anything, but the jumping went away

I have had the screen on my HD TV go up......then down.....slightly......

Sometimes, some units do it on another HD TV I have......but seems to stop when I flick the switch on the bottom (channel) and plug in and unplug the RCA cable from the RF modulator........I don't know if it actually did anything, but the jumping went away

if you go into settings and scan channels wth intv turned on and hooked up fixes it on many tvs

put on another hi def tv to verify it is not the intv

Unfortunately, I can't. The other ones are hung on the wall with cable running in, and I don't want to disturb them. It would be easier to buy another INTV and hope for the best, but I don't see doing that right now.

Guess I'll just have to live with it...

Edited by DoctorTom

You should definitely give Baseball another try. I guess not having the instructions or overlays is affecting your enjoyment of the game. I really think it's the best baseball on any classic system.

I agree with you about Mission X. I think Snafu is a lot of fun, though, if you can find a second player. Golf is really well done, but quite complicated without the instructions or overlays. A much better version was released by Intv Corp., called "Chipshot Golf" that incorporates much of its features, but it's way more streamlined. Definitely a must-have title for the Intellivision.

I don't think there are many fans of Autoracing, but it's actually pretty interesting. If you give it a try. I personally like the unique control scheme, and this can be a blast to play with two players. The addition of all the different cars with different attributes adds a lot of the game. This was actually my inspiration for adding additional playable characters to DK Arcade.

Edited by Carl Mueller Jr

I personally think that your first impressions are spot on. Never a fan of the Auto Racing or Motocross ... but still love Snafu after all these years, make sure to give it a few tries, just the music alone is addicting.

Make sure to play the Coleco Donkey Kong again before you play D2K when it comes ... amazing what a difference there is!

Edited by Fushek

I love Auto Racing. You just need to have the right music playing in the background. :-D

This is also my second most viewed Intellivision video on my channel. First being He-Man

And i think this comment on my Auto Racing must of been from Voltron since i can't understand it. :lol:

Wow megadeath in background audible? Neighbor & yours truly invented the crash -up derby 'cause mom couldda beat up his dad haha *eherm*.

'79 nofoolin' timeflies & ever need ass handed 2 ya in boxing/soccer/nighthawk/baseba­ll&so4th justsayin'...say wouldn't happen 2 remember cartoon with Johny quest-like animation but very brown w/glob spaceschmoo(sic)similarly & space cat-like wookie-anoid and protagonist like he-man and skeletor like archvillian not he-man cartoon invented just b4(?)but...hmm

I never understood which one is the realistic controls and which one is intuitive. I like the one where you press down to go up.

"Realistic" is the one you must press "right" for the car to do a right-turn, and press "left" for the car to do a left-turn, regardless of where it is facing.

This means that if the car is pointing down and you want it to go to the left side of the screen, you must press "right" (because the left side of the screen is on the right side of the car's front, facing down).

It is therefore dependent on the car orientation.

"Intuitive" is the one where you press "left" to have the car move towards the left side of the screen, and "right" to have the car move towards the right side of the screen, regardless of how the car is oriented.

It is therefore dependent on the screen coordinates and the track.

dZ.

"Realistic" is the one you must press "right" for the car to do a right-turn, and press "left" for the car to do a left-turn, regardless of where it is facing.

This means that if the car is pointing down and you want it to go to the left side of the screen, you must press "right" (because the left side of the screen is on the right side of the car's front, facing down).

It is therefore dependent on the car orientation.

"Intuitive" is the one where you press "left" to have the car move towards the left side of the screen, and "right" to have the car move towards the right side of the screen, regardless of how the car is oriented.

It is therefore dependent on the screen coordinates and the track.

dZ.

The thing that confuses me more was the that both my blue label carts have the realistic steering and my white label version has the intuitive steering. I always thought it would be the other way around.

http://www.intvfunhouse.com/games/auto.php#manuals

The thing that confuses me more was the that both my blue label carts have the realistic steering and my white label version has the intuitive steering. I always thought it would be the other way around.

http://www.intvfunho...uto.php#manuals

I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that INTV just sold down all remaining stock, including stock that was sidelined due to a running change. Just a hunch.

But wait, the running change was from "realistic" to "intuitive." I think it then makes sense for INTV to sell the later ones, no?

(I am assuming that the "blue label" refers to the Mattel cart, and "white label" refers to INTV. Is this correct?)

But wait, the running change was from "realistic" to "intuitive." I think it then makes sense for INTV to sell the later ones, no?

(I am assuming that the "blue label" refers to the Mattel cart, and "white label" refers to INTV. Is this correct?)

according to intvfunhouse directional came before realistic steering i wish smb had realistic steering just for a second option Edited by pimpmaul69