IGNORED

Upcoming Intellivision game: Match 5 - Final box art

Rev

Hmm... I think I liked it better when the "MATCH 5" title was all the same size. Also, the black box is not very becoming.

This sort of game looks like it should be in a colourful, vibrant box, not a dull, funereal one.

Just my 2 cents.

-dZ.

I dont think there is gameplay out yet?

I agree on the logo, it may look a better with the 5 the same font size.

I dont mind the color, i like it more than the color of the carol box! Ouch! Dont kill me dz.....carol should of been red or green. Just my opinion.

I dont think there is gameplay out yet?

I agree on the logo, it may look a better with the 5 the same font size.

I dont mind the color, i like it more than the color of the carol box! Ouch! Dont kill me dz.....carol should of been red or green. Just my opinion.

That's fine, I understand. I went through multiple revisions with the artist, including red and green, but the colors were too dark to contrast with the artwork. It made the illustration lose visual impact.

We needed something light, and we were running out of Christmassy colors (and time--we were on a schedule!). The artist came up with that color and sold it to me as "gold," which is a Christmassy color. I thought it looked pleasant, though a bit pale, but it highlighted the illustration on the cover, which was the main point of focus.

It was intended to be gold, not tan. It wasn't until the proofs were made that Willy pointed it out. (I guess I was half-expecting it to show more "golden" on paper). However, I didn't feel like going through another round of "find the perfect color combination," and I was already used to the color by then, so I kept it. Plus the artist was not available at the time.

I had already spent money on two different artists (the first one made some embarrassing stuff!), and I was done with the box.

I think it's fine, though I can see why people may think "eww why tan?!?"

dZ.

That's fine, I understand. I went through multiple revisions with the artist, including red and green, but the colors were too dark to contrast with the artwork. It made the illustration lose visual impact.

We needed something light, and we were running out of Christmassy colors (and time--we were on a schedule!). The artist came up with that color and sold it to me as "gold," which is a Christmassy color. I thought it looked pleasant, though a bit pale, but it highlighted the illustration on the cover, which was the main point of focus.

It was intended to be gold, not tan. It wasn't until the proofs were made that Willy pointed it out. (I guess I was half-expecting it to show more "golden" on paper). However, I didn't feel like going through another round of "find the perfect color combination," and I was already used to the color by then, so I kept it. Plus the artist was not available at the time.

I had already spent money on two different artists (the first one made some embarrassing stuff!), and I was done with the box.

I think it's fine, though I can see why people may think "eww why tan?!?"

dZ.

Did you consider white, the color of snow, and another popular Christmastime color?

Did you consider white, the color of snow, and another popular Christmastime color?

*sigh*. Yes. I considered White, Red, Green, two tones of Blue, a few icky Yellows, I think even Purple at some point, and various gradients.

The Red look very nice, but again, it overshadowed the illustration. It was between White and "Gold." I chose the latter because I thought it was more festive than White.

Also, there was a time pressure, and I also needed to work on finishing the game.

However, it's all moot now: the boxes are printed already, and they came out Tan. I don't think it's that bad, though. :shrug:

dZ.

If I had known that the colour you were going for was more 'gold' than tan, I would have tried to get them to change the Pantone colours to something more gold like.....as in gold christmas paper.

I would personally have preferred a different box colour, but really, it doesn't look bad....the whole package looks nice in my opinion. And, from my experience, you can't please everybody, so, don't even try. If you are happy with it, that is the most important thing. Everyone has a suggestion to do this, or try that.....and they may be valid choices, but at one point, you just have to put it to bed and settle on something.

The large 5 on the title, for example was a choice of the artist.....the game author took the change, and made a new title screen with it. I too think that maybe the 5 should have been left alone. However, I don't HATE the bigger 5, so I'll probably just leave it, since there was effort to change the title screen....

The Match 5 box probably won't be black....I will probably pick a darker colour....something like a really dark grey with a hint of blue in it.

The printer has these cards that you can select the exact colour from. Hopefully, I can pick something pleasing to the eye.

If I had known that the colour you were going for was more 'gold' than tan, I would have tried to get them to change the Pantone colours to something more gold like.....as in gold christmas paper.

I told you. You kept trying to convince me to change to a *different* colour and I kept saying that it was "supposed to be Gold." What I was expecting was a golden wrapping paper colour, like you mentioned above.

I also had many other things to worry about and I didn't want to continue playing "musical colours" to please everyone who had an opinion.

Oh well, it doesn't matter now. I think that whatever Christmas motif is missing on the box, the game makes up for it in spades.

dZ.

You know, there's a funny story. When I prepared the first draft of the title screen for Christmas Carol, I offered two or three versions with different background colors to the beta testers, to discuss which one they preferred.

Some people chose one with a yellow background, while I was pushing for the one with a white background because I thought it was more Christmasy.

Go figure. :)

dZ.

Hmm... I think I liked it better when the "MATCH 5" title was all the same size. Also, the black box is not very becoming.

This sort of game looks like it should be in a colourful, vibrant box, not a dull, funereal one.

Just my 2 cents.

-dZ.

I think it'd look pretty sharp, actually. Once you get the lacquer on the black and shrink-wrap it, the black box will shine.

I also kinda like the font-size difference.

Goldish like the parker bros box would of been cool, but maybe hard to duplicate, like you say, intvnut.

Is my memory failing me, or wasn't the ink for that semi-metallic?

I guess you could get that with spot color, but I don't know what the expense is for spot color.

Goldish like the parker bros box would of been cool, but maybe hard to duplicate, like you say, intvnut.

I agree, and know I learned. Now, with the entire process of game making and production behind me, I know what is required, and more importantly, I know the pitfalls.

Next game, I can guarantee will be an even better production all around.

(By the way, nobody has mentioned it so far, but the beautiful, large-size manual I designed--modeled after Activision's--turned out not to fit the slot in the gate-fold box designed by Willy. This was unintentional, but it is another of those lesson learned.)

[Posted on correct thread]

I agree, and know I learned. Now, with the entire process of game making and production behind me, I know what is required, and more importantly, I know the pitfalls.

Next game, I can guarantee will be an even better production all around.

(By the way, nobody has mentioned it so far, but the beautiful, large-size manual I designed--modeled after Activision's--turned out not to fit the slot in the gate-fold box designed by Willy. This was unintentional, but it is another of those lesson learned.)

[Posted on correct thread]

It isnt that bad of a box....it just didnt seem to go with the theme of the game. Really, dont sweat it. Its a top notch production all around....from your programming to the final product.

It isnt that bad of a box....it just didnt seem to go with the theme of the game. Really, dont sweat it. Its a top notch production all around....from your programming to the final product.

Oh, I'm not sweating it. I like it, box and all.