IGNORED

CIB Wizard of Id's Wiz Math - Any info appreciated

WispFollower

I've got a copy of Wiz Math, and I was hoping someone might help me out. I wouldn't normally start a thread for a single game like this, but this one seems to be pretty tough to find complete. I couldn't find many sources of information concerning value, and I want to know more in case I ever decide to sell. Thank you in advance.

post-33964-0-04130000-1352605805_thumb.jpg

post-33964-0-65482100-1352605820_thumb.jpg

post-33964-0-44147100-1352605837_thumb.jpg

post-33964-0-35299800-1352605851_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Indeed, a lot of ColecoVision collectors need this CIB, including your's truly. This holds true for a number of other educational titles that were developed BITD for the system, but for the most part did not sell very well even at liquidation prices of below $10... so this means that a lot of copies ended up in dumpsters and there are very few CIBs out there to be had.

There is no way to place a value on your CIB of WizMath seeing that if you do place it up for auction on eBay or elsewhere, people will end up wildly bidding it up in order to finally obtain it for their collections. Then, seeing how much it eventually sells for will inspire others to consider auctioning their's in the hopes of striking the same gold, but the final price will end up being lower due to one less person bidding it up and on, and on, and on. I'd say if a number of copies went up for sale one after the other, then everyone would have a better idea of it's true value... but this hasn't happened for WizMath, so the first person that decides to sell will garner the most money.

Tough spot you are in, that is considering selling, unless you prefer to take a more casual approach to CV collecting and are not concerned about being a completist.

Indeed, a lot of ColecoVision collectors need this CIB, including your's truly. This holds true for a number of other educational titles that were developed BITD for the system, but for the most part did not sell very well even at liquidation prices of below $10... so this means that a lot of copies ended up in dumpsters and there are very few CIBs out there to be had.

There is no way to place a value on your CIB of WizMath seeing that if you do place it up for auction on eBay or elsewhere, people will end up wildly bidding it up in order to finally obtain it for their collections. Then, seeing how much it eventually sells for will inspire others to consider auctioning their's in the hopes of striking the same gold, but the final price will end up being lower due to one less person bidding it up and on, and on, and on. I'd say if a number of copies went up for sale one after the other, then everyone would have a better idea of it's true value... but this hasn't happened for WizMath, so the first person that decides to sell will garner the most money.

Tough spot you are in, that is considering selling, unless you prefer to take a more casual approach to CV collecting and are not concerned about being a completist.

A convincing argument indeed. I have much to consider. Perhaps it will not be as easy to keep this game as I originally thought.

A convincing argument indeed. I have much to consider. Perhaps it will not be as easy to keep this game as I originally thought.

Seeing that you just got into the ColecoVision system, and I might add in a very fortunate way by making that large purchase that included some of the hardest to acquire titles CIB, I would take a step back if I were you and let all the excitement die down a little bit before making any decisions that you may regret in the future. I know it must be hard when you got a cash cow in your hands like WizMath, but you really need to decide first and foremost what type of CV collection you want to have... loose carts, loose carts and manual, CIB, CIB with custom repros, etc. For example, if you decide to sell your WizMath CIB in order to raise money to reinvest in other purchases (especially with all the Homebrews being developed), know that you may never come across another WizMath CIB if you later decide to go for a complete CIB collection.

I learned the hard and expensive way when I got back into collecting for the CV & ADAM. I told myself only loose "original" carts, but when I started accumulating Homebrew CIBs, I just couldn't stop myself from transitioning to collecting original releases CIB. So I spent a lot of time and effort tracking down all the loose carts that became expendable when I acquired CIBs of each title. At least this much is easier for me, I only collect for the CV & ADAM.

Good Luck with the decision and if you decide to sell WizMath, get ready to make some serious $$$.

• Like 1

Seeing that you just got into the ColecoVision system, and I might add in a very fortunate way by making that large purchase that included some of the hardest to acquire titles CIB, I would take a step back if I were you and let all the excitement die down a little bit before making any decisions that you may regret in the future. I know it must be hard when you got a cash cow in your hands like WizMath, but you really need to decide first and foremost what type of CV collection you want to have... loose carts, loose carts and manual, CIB, CIB with custom repros, etc. For example, if you decide to sell your WizMath CIB in order to raise money to reinvest in other purchases (especially with all the Homebrews being developed), know that you may never come across another WizMath CIB if you later decide to go for a complete CIB collection.

I learned the hard and expensive way when I got back into collecting for the CV & ADAM. I told myself only loose "original" carts, but when I started accumulating Homebrew CIBs, I just couldn't stop myself from transitioning to collecting original releases CIB. So I spent a lot of time and effort tracking down all the loose carts that became expendable when I acquired CIBs of each title. At least this much is easier for me, I only collect for the CV & ADAM.

Good Luck with the decision and if you decide to sell WizMath, get ready to make some serious $$$.

Thank you for taking the time to give me insight and advice from an experienced collector's point of view. It is quite considerate of you. The reason I have not sold any of the rare pieces I have is for reasons like the ones you stated. I told myself I would hold on to this stuff for a while and learn all I could before making final decisions. Upon joining the collector community, I took some time to read threads with people talking about selling things. I found many if not all people who sold rare things regretted it in some way. I have also never sold anything. The thought is more than a little unsettling.

Oh my... I hope someday to get a loose cartridge of it for a more reasonable price.

Usually see them loose for around $75, but if you are patient and keep your eyes open, you should be able to find it for consideraly cheaper.... although maybe not after just checking on availability (or lack thereof) from a couple sources.

Seeing that all the others that have mentioned they have a CIB of WizMath as well are serious and long-time collectors... I heavily doubt we will be seeing one of them sell anytime soon if at all. Selling this from one's collection would leave a very big hole that would probably never be refilled if the desire arised, especially at a reasonable price.