IGNORED

ULTRASATAN

lotharek

Nice. The cards side by side will be very cool. I always seem to have trouble slightly ejecting one when removing the other when they are top and bottom.

I second that. I suggested this long ago to MiKro (the designer of the UltraSatan), but he didn't want to redesign the PCB that had already been created (which is the 2 SD cards on top of each other). Others wanted it to be as small as possible. I thought it was too easy to accidentally remove both cards instead of just one because they are too close together. After using it for a while, my premonition was correct. I would say about 10% of the time, I accidentally remove both cards instead of just one. No damage to data done, but still, it's annoying to reseat the card and have the hard disk driver notice it again. This wouldn't have happened if the SD card slots were side by side.

Great news from Lotharek! I just posted this on Atari-Forums, apologies if you know some of it already.

Lotharek has asked me to post some UltraSatan news, so here goes.

Sounds like he is making good progress. He has my UltraSatan to work with for the time being. The new device will be in a metal case powder coated in ST grey. the SD cards are side by side rather than back to back as in the existing design, which will make it much easier to swap cards. Obviously activity lights will be visible (mine doesn't have them).

The power supply options are a little more user friendly as this new design runs off 5v. A micro USB socket for external power supplies (think phone chargers here) and a floppy power connector. He wasn't clear on whether the floppy connector is an order option or a standard feature (let's hope its standard!). The power switch will operate on the micro USB input only (makes sense as the floppy socket would turn on / off with the machine it is connected to).

There will be additional connectors for LED activity lights (for internal mounting in a MEGA, for example).

Another departure from the old UltraSatan is the provision of a proper ACSI cable, rather than a ribbon cable. The metal case should prevent unwanted movement of the unit.

Lotharek reports first prototypes within two weeks (from today) and mass production to follow soon after.

Regards

JonB

Edited by JonB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any word on the progress of this project? Just curious how things are coming along. :)

You can find updates posted at Lotharek's website : http://lotharek.pl

He seems to be making progress getting a new prototype together. His last update stated "28.12.2012 - PCBs are here, still waitng for some minor parts. Soon prototypes and final calculations."

It sounds very exciting! I hope he's able to succeed in bringing a new UltraSatan to all Atari fans who missed out on the previous versions ! :-)

Edited by Skarro

Thanks! Just need to upgrade TOS now when the ST arrives (only just bought it). Also need to upgrade the RAM to 1Mb, but not sure which RAM chips I need yet until I get the lid off. i upgraded my last STFM 15+ years ago and I remember that needing 8 or 16 chips if I remember correctly - more than ive seen people talking about on here. Anyway, will keep checking that website in anticipation!