IGNORED

NES HSC Rules/Questions/Comments Thread

CGQuarterly

I have designated this thread as the all-purpose question & comment thread for the HSC.

Current format & Rules:

Format: Currently, the HSC employs a 10-round season. Each season lasts 2 weeks. The games are chosen by me, usually based on suggestions from players. At the beginning of each round, I will post the end date. Once the round is over, I'll post in the thread to let everyone know and to post the final score list. Any scores submitted below my post will not count for that round, but if they best a score in the overall high score thread, they will count for that and your score will be listed there.

Scoring: Current scoring occurs as follows: 9 points for first place, 6 points for second, 3 points for third, and 1 point for all other scores (as a participation point.) Additional bonus points may be available for individual rounds. Whenever this is the case, it will be posted in the OP for that round. Each player has a cumulative score which dictates their position in the season standings. At the end of round 10, the player with the highest score is the winner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to the long delay in posting the last round of season 9 (totally my fault), and due to the fact that Austin has it wrapped up anyway, it's time to just wipe the slate clean and start a new season.

This thread will be open for a week so that people can suggest games.

Peculiarsatyr also had a good idea, which I'm going to implement. We're going to give prizes to the overall winner of this season. I've got some stuff that I can donate.

But here's the important part: Anyone else who donates a prize will be allowed to choose a game to be used this season. You just send in your prize, and name your game. I'll keep all of the prizes here in a box, and can send them out in one package to the eventual winner (probably Austin. :P) I don't want to put any minimum or maximum value limit on games. Just please use some common sense. No one needs another copy of SMB/Duck Hunt. Make it something that someone would likely think was cool. That could be a game, and old gaming magazine or book, marketing schwag, action figures, whatever.

This will not only (hopefully) help drum up prizes, but will also take the pressure off of me to pick games, which frankly is part of the reason that there is lag-time between posted rounds. I'd really like to have all of the games laid out in advance before we get started. Or we can at least have the first couple of games decided while additional prizes trickle in.

So for now, post game suggestions. Or, if you plan to send in a prize, go ahead and indicate that you will, and choose the game that you want everyone to play. We'll see how many weeks long the season will be based on how many people want to send prizes in.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba

Chris, I will send in a prize. I suppose shoot me a PM with your address, and I can probably have it out to you this week.

As far as some game suggestions, to mix things up I'm game for pretty much any of the black box releases (Ice Climber, Wrecking Crew, Gumshoe, etc., etc). I don't have much experience with those. I also wouldn't mind having a go at some of the earlier Capcom releases, like 1942, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Commando, Trojan, etc., since they tend to be more challenging.

Cool! But living in another country I think it's best to not participate in the gifts.

I agree with the game choice to be the more difficult part of all. I thought Solar Jetman could be a good pick but played and the base makes it too easy and slow :(

To choose new games it's good to pick a list of 100 best games, check for pictures with scores, see a video on youtube or download and test it. That Solar Jetman I got that way and now I'm seeing Bucky O'Hare which seems good.

I'm checking this list: http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/Top-100-NES-Games-Page-1.html

• 2 weeks later...

If everyone is open to Famicom titles as well here's a nice list of some of the best and most overlooked Nintendo titles that would be good candidates:

Pooyan

Gradius II

Mappy

Galaxian

Chack 'n Pop

Mappy Land

Antarctic Adventure

Plus some domestic goodies:

Spelunker

Adventure Island

Xevious

Snake Rattle N Roll

Life Force

Elevator Action

road Runner

Marble Madness

Star Force

• Like 1

How about two or three games that aren't scored and you get points for beating the game

That's an interesting idea. So you're proposing that people would just get a set number of points for beating the game, and no points at all if they fail to do so? That would open up a new selection of games that don't keep score.

Chris

That's an interesting idea. So you're proposing that people would just get a set number of points for beating the game, and no points at all if they fail to do so? That would open up a new selection of games that don't keep score.

Instead of a set number of points for beating a game it might make more sense to set specific goals for each game to earn points. For example if we were playing Mega Man 2 the player could earn a point for each boss defeated and then a set number of points for the Willy stages. Something similar customized for each non-scoring game would make sense since we're not all NES masters. This type of setup would allow everyone to score some "points" in these types of games and participate without having to beat the entire game. Just a thought.

Anyway, here's a few game suggestions that do keep score:

Batman

Monster in my Pocket

Rad Racer

Metalstorm

Pooyan

Legendary Wings

Double Dragon II

Ice Climber

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I've decided what the first game will be, and will make up a list of the rest of the games that we'll be playing. Then, if anyone wants to donate prizes to go with particular games, they can PM me and I'll post said prize in the thread for that round.

Thanks!

Chris

Yeah, I'll start the next round.

Liduario, you PMed me a while back offering to help me out with the NES HSC, I asked you to do something, you said you'd do it, and then you didn't and I never heard from you again. I fully admit the fact that this HSC has been a back-burner item for me lately, but people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Chris

Sup, cp? Yeah that comment was only directed at Lid. I like the guy, but don't offer to help me, flake, and then point out my flakiness.

Anywhoo, I posted the next game. Question, though. Do people actually care about having "seasons" with overall winners, or should we just do a game-to-game thing? I kind of feel like having defined seasons is kind of pointless, but whatever you guys like is fine with me.

And I'll start putting reminders in my phone to update the HSC every two weeks. It's not that I don't care or don't like doing this, it's just that I have a lot of crud on my plate.

Chris

Here's a list of games so far based on replies in this thread:

Wrecking Crew

Rad Racer

Super Tecmo Bowl

Bomberman 2

Adventure Island

Marble Madness

Batman

Dr. Mario

I was also thinking about classicgamer_27330's suggestion. When I was a kid, a local department store had a competition where kids had to try to maximize their score for just the first level of SMB. So we could do that.

I was also thinking about his other suggestion. What if we played Ultima: Exodus, and you just had to beat it by the end of the season? So that would be running parallel to the other HSC games.

Chris