IGNORED

Ultimate 1mb / Side 2

lotharek

Well, the SIDE loader wasn't really designed to mount an image then return straight to SDX. You could just let the ATR try to boot, then back to the BIOS with help and reset, then reboot. Not sure what else to suggest if you have no SIO devices.

Edited by flashjazzcat

• 3 weeks later...

Got it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must exit bios with Q key not C key !!!

Many thank friends.

Found this thread and the last posts helped me a lot... :-)

First Question: Is there a chance to find the "matr" tool in a ready ATR-File (like the the toolkit for SpartaDOS X)?

Second question: I've playd a little bit with the fatfs.sys driver. It starts how flahjazzcat showed up in his video. In this video he said the FAT partition is mapped to drive F:

When I'm looking at device F: I get a failure. Can it be that the error is because the FAT partition is larger than 32MB?

Found this thread and the last posts helped me a lot... :-)

First Question: Is there a chance to find the "matr" tool in a ready ATR-File (like the the toolkit for SpartaDOS X)?

Second question: I've playd a little bit with the fatfs.sys driver. It starts how flahjazzcat showed up in his video. In this video he said the FAT partition is mapped to drive F:

When I'm looking at device F: I get a failure. Can it be that the error is because the FAT partition is larger than 32MB?

First question: I'm currently doing a bottom-up website rebuild, so expect updated toolkit ATRs, etc, fairly soon. :)

Second question: the only reason the FAT partition is mapped to F: is that I used a developmental version of FDISK to make it so. Basically, it lets you assign one of the "external" FAT partitions as a special kind of APT partition which naturally consumes no space in the Atari partition area (i.e. the APT): the special entry is just a pointer to that "external" FAT. You can assign it a drive letter, though, and that's what I did. Unfortunately the software development stalled over the past few weeks, and it's not ready for public consumption just yet. If you're feeling brave, you can head over to Drac030's website in the meantime, study the APT spec, and then hack one of the existing APT partition entries on your disk so that the start sector points to the first sector of one of the FAT partitions (you'll have to adjust the APT partition size, too). That's a temporary hack, though (and how I first tested Konrad's FAT driver), and not for the feint of heart. I'll endeavour to get the software finished as soon as I can.

Edited by flashjazzcat

As previously mentioned, the version of FDISK which allows the inclusion of "external" FAT partitions in the APT is being developed. In fact, it's nearing completion:

post-21964-0-78142100-1379619750_thumb.png

The program now scans the MBR for any existing FAT partitions, and lets you add references to these partitions in the Atari partition table. The screenshot shows a CF card with two FAT partitions and an APT (mounted under Altirra). I've just selected "Create External Partition", and FDISK has presented me with a drop-down list of the FATs on the disk. When I choose one, an APT entry will appear in the partition table, and I can then set the Atari drive number, boot flag, etc.

Note: the 810MB FAT16 partition is too big for use with Drac030's driver; this is just for illustration. The partition should be no more than 32MB in size.

The initial MBR setup has also had an overhaul, although you can still only define a single FAT and APT from within FDISK:

post-21964-0-12616800-1379619863_thumb.png

If you want something more lavish, just use a partitioning utility on the PC, setting up as many FAT partitions as you need. FDISK will pick these up when the card's in the Atari.

Should be ready for testing in a few days.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

strange issue:

800XE, u1mb, side 2:

hi-speed OS

sdx: disabled:

side: on, w/0 button..

save, Quit - ERROR: NO DOS

button on side, reset - black screen

power on/off - black screen

--------

switch is on TOP position

POWER ON atari - SIDE 2 LOADER..

help-reset.. U1MB menu - quit.. then starts sdx..

when i try push button on SIDE for loader, black screen

hmm

Edited by w1k

lol

SDX: ENABLED

SIDE: ON, W/O BUTTON.. button in top position

1. start ATARI - start side loader

2. restart from u1mb with Q - starts SDX

3. restart from u1mb with button and reset - PBI loads, start SDX

4. when i load some ATR from side loader, then try restart, then atr loads again and again..

hmmmmmm

• 2 weeks later...

On my Ultimate 1MB main menu the date is wrong. For example today we have 2 November 2013 and is Saturday, but on my screen seen cause is Friday!!!!! :? :?

Anyone else with this issue?

600XL with first Candle's U1MB version, with firmware upgraded along time ago.

Edited by santosp

On my Ultimate 1MB main menu the date is wrong. For example today we have 2 November 2013 and is Saturday, but on my screen seen cause is Friday!!!!! :? :?

I have the same thing with Candle's 2nd run U1MB / 600XL, booting to SDX and typing TD ON will show you the correct date though. I wonder if Lotharek U1MB is any different?

Edited by atari8warez

I seem to remember this being something to do with Trub and Candle being unable to agree on a common RTC format. It's probably gone on too long now...

After reading your post, I looked over at my 1200XL, and it has the same issue. I installed my U1MB today. I assume it has the latest firmware.

The Sparta TDline shows the correct day.

-K

Edited by Kyle22

I have the MyIDE II by AtariMax. Would it be worth getting a SIDE 2 as well, or should I just order the Ultimate 1MB by itself for my XEGS?

I am in the same boat, just ordered U1MB with SIDE2, I will see if I can get MyIDE 2 to work well enough with U1MB to resell SIDE2 but for now I didn't want to risk to being sent back and forth among the 2 inventors when incompat arise.

There's some hope http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1417 by having R2/RE as one of the OS in U1MB, but I suspect that to get there I will need a SIDE2 to flash U1MB (as I don't have any SIO2xx available to me).

I'm banking on the fact that I can build the required U1MB flash file ATR and flash the U1MB by loading said ATR thru the SIDE2 ..... if it doesn't work I'll be looking for other solutions.

It's kind of a bummer U1MB and MyIDE 2 don't work better together out of the box but we will survive either way..

I do like MyIDE 2 R16 format support, not sure about all the Image/partition management thru MyBIOS, it definitely needs a native window app (rather than the hodge podge of wrapper and cmd line tool).

If U1MB + R2/RE OS make MyIDE2 work I'll be set, I'm not into SDX so for me it is not going to be an issue, if not but I can use SIDE2 for the 4 or 5 ATRs full of images then I'll be happy too .... honestly nothing beats having a FAT32 partition and associated loader just because of the drag and drop on any OS (no need of apps/tools).

I ordered the combo from lotharek, I expect it to arrive in 3 or 4 weeks, he told me that it will be a little trickier to install on XEGS because the MMU and ROM adapters are a little too bulky (the XEGS has the 2 ICs very close) so I expect to have to go up (like double sockets, pin headers or alike) to perform the mod .... time will tell, I managed to socket the 2 ICs thanks to a heat gun, that much I already did ;-), when I told to lotharek that I was learning to desolder for the U1MB he advised me to renounce as I would have risked to ruin my XEGS, in a way I felt let down, in another way I appreciated the concerns, definitely not for a first timer, but my XEGS costed me only 60US$ shipped so I decided to take the risk.

Edited by phoenixdownita