IGNORED

MIKIE on A8 by Vega

José Pereira

For people here that usually don't go into AtariOnline you probably didn't know about this:

I think that he done this some time ago and it's not in the working (not many explanations there and Google Translation isn't also a good solution...) but Musician Miker can, maybe, say something more to us.

From the video I see how it is seems to have been done (it's also seems ANTIC4 CharMode because of following explanations):

I get what are the diferent PFs and where's the PFs colours DLIs (like, for example, the scanlines colour changing on the Top wall,...).

(for example on the Playing Area Blue ground you have Blue and Tables Dark Brown as PF0 and PF1, then walls Light Gray it's PF2 and one girl shirt it's PF3 leaving two Players to colour the other two girls shirts.

This two Players are then reused at the top Guy and Cooker (with DLI to have hair/hat, shirt and trousers different colours).

The two Players free are then on 'our guy' and the Teacher (again DLIs to have the body parts different colours).

Untill here it's all obvious but what it is really new here?

It's that you have the moving guys sometimes going in front and other times behind.

Then, if Teacher, 'our guy' and two girls are the 4Players and they are P0->P3 then everytime they go behind or in front you must dinamic/on the fly change their Player number(s).

(you can start having Tecaher and 'our guy as P0 and P1 with girls beeing P2 and P3 but teacher can go behind girls and it has to be changed to P3 and the girls using P3 must change to P1 thinking that our guy still goes in front and still in use of P0.

but like this one there are many other possible conbinations...)

Now, goes the question:

-> Is Vega doing this or he is doing PFs soft sprite Bitmap Masking and also doing the same in the Players interaction erasing pixels?

What this is really new here'

Is that if Vega ever publish this code someone can easilly get a Double Dragon type of game finally into A8...

(or a great help if I ever get anyone to port Last Ninja series into A8 with the guys moving and gfxs Masking).

If anyone knows Vega it is really a 'great piece of code' that would be a great achievement if he release it public (more than if he ever finish this game))

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

I spoke with Vega about Mikie a few years ago which he was interested in working on. I didn't actually know until a couple of months ago when I saw it on AOL that he'd been working on it back then. Looks great. The last time we spoke he had set up a business and didn't have any free time for the Atari so I'm not sure if that's still the case.

And even more than between the guys themselves 'our guy' can go in front or behind tables at the bottom on his table in can go between the the table and the chair.

This is really an amazing and fast soft sprite with PMGs overlays (now I saw that each guy as 9/10pixels wide that is 1Playeer + 1Missile).

Now imagine adapting this 10pixel PMG more, Black contour and/or PF0 and PF1 (like here ythe guys skin) and you can easilly get, like here, a 10,11 or even 12or13 pixels wide that is enough for guys moving and fighting in a Double Dragon/Renegade/Golden Axe/... type of game (and about C.P.U./cycles it seems enough as the guys are more or less same tall as normally they are in those Arcade fighting games (would only need to add Horizontal Fine Scrolling but no problem as these type of games, most of the times, only scroll when the Enemy guys were defeated... so the cycles of the guys would then be used for the ANTIC Fine Horizontal scrolling)).