IGNORED

What's a good Atari 8-bit monitor to get?...

ataridave

Atari didn't ever produce a monitor for the 8-bits (although there was once some prototype shown). Best you can do is a 1084S, although someone here once put the guts of one of those into an SC1435 case, and it looked very nice indeed with an XE.

Standard Commodore 1084S monitors look pretty nice with XLs, anyway.

Atari didn't ever produce a monitor for the 8-bits (although there was once some prototype shown). Best you can do is a 1084S, although someone here once put the guts of one of those into an SC1435 case, and it looked very nice indeed with an XE.

Commodore 1702 monitors also look fantastic, especially if your system supports S-Video (split Chroma and Luminance) with a monitor cable. I used one of these "back in the day", along with a Magnavox 80 column monitor once I got an XEP-80.

..Al

• Like 1

I'm very interested buying either an Atari 65XE or an Atari 130XE. I just LOVE the way both models look! I've heard that they aren't as durable as the 800XL-is there any truth to that?? And, are they compatible with the same games as the 800XL??

The XEs are functionally identical to the XLs. As regards durability: I've done lots of work on both XEs and XLs, and I personally haven't found the XEs to be less robust than XLs. You'll hear conflicting views there, though. I personally find the XEs to be the most stable and predictable. One advantage of the XL is that - for the most part - the chips are socketed.

It's not stereo, but it's pretty loud!

..Al

That's another reason that I like the 1084s, not because its stereo, but the sound and bass is fantastic for such a compact unit. It's like having an arcade cabinet.

Puts modern lcd tvs to shame

• Like 1

Hello guys

If it doesn't have to be a CRT, try the Funai A-1506. Stereo, 4:3 ratio. Much lighter then a CRT. Only problem is, you can't (successfully) use a lightpen or light gun with an LCD tv/monitor. These are very popular in the European meetings scene.

Sincerely

Mathy

If it doesn't have to be a CRT, try the Funai A-1506. Stereo, 4:3 ratio. Much lighter then a CRT. Only problem is, you can't (successfully) use a lightpen or light gun with an LCD tv/monitor. These are very popular in the European meetings scene.

That looks nice and ideal, for an LCD. Unfortunately, it's not located over here in the New World. I take it it's PAL-only, or does it do both?

Actually, we don't know what part of the world the original poster is in, so if he's on the Olde World, then it is NOT unfortunate for him. It's unfortunate for me!

4:3 LCDs are a nice little treat, nowday! I also noticed (looked up the specs on that Funai) it has S-video. 4:3 LCD with S-video? Talk about great for A8 portable use!

I use an MJ-22 on my main system. It has a finer dot-pitch than the MJ-10 and looks great. There is an RGB input that I have never tried - probably CGA or some such.

Bob

Get a Teknika MJ-10 monitor. Not only does it have Chroma and Luminance inputs like the Commodore 1702, but it also have the looks of the Atari 800XL. A great monitor!