IGNORED

The ABSOLUTE worst games of all time.

Also, does anyone know if the stairway scene in Ghostbusters for the NES can actually be completed without a cheat device? It may be one of those truly broken games which can't be finished. The only way I could imagine it to be possible is to buy that sonic generator thing and give it a try, but I'm not sure if anybody has ever had enough patience for the game to raise the cash for it.

I don't remember exactly how, but I did beat that on real hardware BITD, and I have no memory of using any cheats to do so. I think it's just a matter of wailing away on whatever makes you climb the stairs (A & B? Left & right? I don't remember) and then having a bit of luck at the top.

Some of the worst games that I played:

Karnov

I have placed this game on many 'best of NES' lists. It is a fun and challenging game and I have beat it.

It's more the idea behind it. Some fat guy spitting fireballs...........

Do you feel the same about Super Mario Bros? With the fire-flower power up, Mario spits fireballs at turtles and koopas.

I have placed this game on many 'best of NES' lists. It is a fun and challenging game and I have beat it.

Sorry to hear that.

Do you feel the same about Super Mario Bros? With the fire-flower power up, Mario spits fireballs at turtles and koopas.

Last time I checked Mario isn't a big bald fat guy who pukes fireballs out of his mouth.

Mario's universe and turtles are much cooler.

(:P If you like it thats cool. I never cared for it and I thought the gameplay and concept was ridiculous. I like some some games that other people can't stand or think is silly so hey...no big deal and it is a rather impressive achievement to finish that game, its hard as hell IMO)

• Like 1

My big issue with Karnov is that he tried to kill the Bad Dudes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCq4wNJU3Gg

I can't come up with an "ABSOLUTE worst game ever". I can find some redeeming quality in most games and besides the game programmers are doing a lot better job than I could ever do.

Please try Froggos Karate. If there is a redeeming quality I am unable to find it.

Please try Froggos Karate. If there is a redeeming quality I am unable to find it.

Ambition? That, and I wonder whether it's really a fair representation of the game, since it was barely released (before the re-release) and may have been rushed out the door. Maybe, in other words, it was an alpha never meant for release in that state.

Either way, I think the original designers were at least trying to do something cool, vs. a game like Sssnake which seems like a combination of bad ideas and total cynicism (like the Atari marketing exec who claimed he could take a dump in a box and sell it to eager consumers).

Ambition? That, and I wonder whether it's really a fair representation of the game, since it was barely released (before the re-release) and may have been rushed out the door. Maybe, in other words, it was an alpha never meant for release in that state.

Either way, I think the original designers were at least trying to do something cool, vs. a game like Sssnake which seems like a combination of bad ideas and total cynicism (like the Atari marketing exec who claimed he could take a dump in a box and sell it to eager consumers).

Sssnake is at least somewhat playable, although barely. No comparison between the two, Sssnake I can play and I get it, Karate is unplayable as in there is no rhyme or reason when, where, and why you score points (at least as far as I can tell, and I have it right here in my trusty 6'er right now). It is completely RANDOM on scoring.

I personally liked Karnov for the NES but I wasn't good at it.

I had a love/hate relationship with Daggerfall. It was so ambitious but buggy - quests that lost their key items which killed the game, falling through the floor, etc...

The worst game for me may be Battlespire, the sequel to Daggerfall. I shelled out $50 of minimum wage earned money and it was unplayable. I couldn't get past one of the first areas that required pixel perfect jumping. That disc became an expensive cup coaster.

Edited by ARCZero

I remember my big brother had Karnov for NES ... ahhh makes me think of the summer of '88 watching my brothers hogging the tv and playing that game. Took 8 hours to beat but all they got was just a "Conglaturations! The End." type ending LOL. Funny game. I liked Kid Niki way better though.

Someone mentioned Donkey Kong for Intellivision.... LMAO!!! Oh yea that one does suck really bad.

Another bad one is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for the NES.

That doesn't even look like Karnov in the Bad Dudes game.

"Karnov originally starred in his own arcade name (titled Karnov) which was developed and published by Data East in 1987. He later became Data East's mascot, appearing in many other Data East games including Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja in which he played a boss in the first level. Karnov later appeared in the Fighter's History series"

From -

http://www.fightersg...rs4/karnov.html

I am sure, like any character, different artists have different interpretations of Karnov.

Edited by GideonsDad

I played my share of shitty games over the years but fortunately i forgot most of them. :lol:

The worst turds i still remember are:

Hard Drivin' (C64)

Outlander (SNES)

Chaos Control (Sega Saturn)

Revolution X (SNES)

Pac-Kong (2600)

Rise of the Robots (SNES)

Captain Planet and the Planeteers (NES)

Laser Blast (2600)

For me the worst game of all time : Donkey Kong Country on SNES.

That's not really for the gameplay itself but more for how they massacred the original donkey kong license. i HATE this game!

Donkey Kong Country belongs on the 'Most Overrated Games of All Time' list, IMO. The gameplay is fun enough, but simplified and mediocre. Run. Jump. Throw. Ride. Collect. While the pre-rendered sprites were all the rage when the game came out, I always felt they cheapened the visual experience. I think the game would have been much better with hand-drawn and hand-animated sprites, but that's more personal preference. I feel the same way about 2D Mario games made today. The control and collision detection feels a bit off, too. I never feel like I'm in 100% control of DK. Like I always have to second-guess where on a ledge I can land without missing and falling to my doom. Every time I play DKC, I feel like there is an underlying visual style trying to break free of that tacked-on pre-rendered paint that the game was given. Donkey Kong Country: I don't care for the visuals and find the gameplay mediocre, but I really like the music. I think they did a good job with that.

Back on topic: I know Bubsy 3D was mentioned but I gotta bring up the original on Super NES. Horrible game. Absolutely awful in every regard. I bought it several years back from a Funcoland bin remembering Bubsy's EGM cover and thinking it must be an okay game, he appeared on EGM after all! Wrong. Very wrong.

Sword of Sodan (Genesis) – mentioned already, repeated for emphasis. I was lucky enough to own this back when it was current, and I remember laughing at it even then.

Urban Champion (NES). I know it’s an early title, but really? You call that a game?

Rocky (SMS)

Wrestlemania (NES). It’s fun to walk around the ring and all, but it would have been nice if they also programmed some wrestling moves too.

Independence Day (PS1). The first title I rented in ‘97-‘98 when I bought a Playstation—not a good foray into the world of Sony home gaming.

Miner 2049’er (Gameboy). The system is usually pretty dependable, but this port is AWFUL.

Hard Drivin’ (Lynx). Game or slide show?

Electrocop (Lynx). YAAAAAAAWN.

Hat Trick (7800). I can’t believe they actually had the nerve to put this on the shelves alongside NES Ice Hockey. Totally embarrassing.

Karateka (7800). Worst. Controls. Ever.

Mat Mania (7800). As a huge fan of the arcade game, all I can say is…. wow.

Title Match Pro Wrestling (2600). Relative to what it’s actually supposed to be, this is a strong contender for the worst game I’ve ever played in my life.

Pit Fighter (arcade).

• Like 3

Ephemeral Fantasia

I didn't comment on this one before, because I had forgotten about this title. Unfortunately, now I think I remember it.

The Guitar Hero RPG, with regular controller. It has some of the worst PS2 graphics I've seen, and the ONLY reason I don't hold it up as the worst graphics on a PS2 game is because I've seen RPG Maker 2.

But there is a PS2 RPG that's worse than Ephermal Fantasia. I think it was "Forever Kingdom" or something like that. Ephermal Fantasia was at least roughly playable, although really bad. "Forever Kingdom" or whatever awful game I'm trying to remember isn't even remotely playable.