IGNORED

The ABSOLUTE worst games of all time.

Never played much SNES at all growing up so I only played the Genny version of Pit-Fighter which much to the contrary I quite enjoyed then, not as much now tho, this was before SFII and MK were on the scene, the first real "Fighting" game I played besides Double Dragon, but it looked so real both the graphics and the fighting moves. I used to think of it as the vigeogame port of Lion Heart (1990, Van Damme).

I always assumed the SNES version would be the typical SNES yang to Genesis' Yin, Slightly prettier graphics, better music, more voices, but laggy controls and gameplay.

After hearing so much hate in this thread I loaded it up on emuparadise which, not to be a shill or anything, I only went there to download the rom, but I didn't have to, you can play almost any game in a java/flash emulator, it's great for testing out games which is really all I use emulation for, kudos to them.

Anyway... I started playing it... and Holy Hell. First I blamed the java/flash emulator and downloaded the rom to play just to be sure... Holy Hell...

This was released? This is a prototype at best. Who playtested this? I'll bet it was the same guy that programmed the collision detection. No one else (especially a tester/marketer) would ever play this and say "Yes, this is fun, if it was in stores I'd buy it or at least recommend it." NO ONE.

I hope someone was fired over this... man... just... man...

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

The worst game I ever played was Blaster Master: Blasting Again for the PS1. Seeing as it was a bargain title, I should have known better.

Any of the more common answers to this question I can either at least give credit for being a stepping stone towards something greater (i.e. the archaic "3D" games on the Jaguar like Cybermorph) or I don't consider games at all (Custer's Revenge). EDIT: I also don't consider E.T. "worst game" due to the circumstances of how it was made and the other garbage on the 2600.

Edited by MH_Warrior

I'm kinda surprised that were up to post #109 and not one mention of Super Pitfall for the NES. I had real high hopes for this title! I mean, a 8-bit sequel for Pitfall - how could it go wrong? What a broken mess!

We've had similar threads to this one where that game was mentioned (possibly by me).

Many others I must agree with:

Custer's Revenge

Laser Blast

ET

Heavy Nova

Karate

Deadly Towers is pretty bad but it does get better if you stick with it.

Some others:

Dark Castle (Genesis)

Home Run (Atari 2600)

Empire Strikes Back (Atari 2600)

Some old arcade ones:

METEROIDS (1981, Venture Line)

Terrible color version of Asteroids.

PIRANHA (1981, GL/US Billiards)

Awful hack of Pac-Man with almost no walls; very difficult to get away from the monsters that way.

GUARDIANS OF THE HOOD (1992, Atari)

Really bad merging of Pit-Fighter with Final Fight.

BATMAN (1990, Atari)

Based on the enjoyable Tim Burton film, it's unbelievably choppy and frustrating.

LEPRECHAUN (1982, Tong Electronics)

Boring, repetitive and bland game where you just grab a pot of gold before a leprechaun gets you. That's pretty much it, screen after screen.

MONEY MONEY (1983, Zaccharia)

Awful maze/multilevel game that's broken graphically and with awful controls and speech synthesis.

In my years of making videos of obscure games I can probably come up with more awful ones.

We've had similar threads to this one where that game was mentioned (possibly by me).

And usually by me.

All of those games developed by Micronics were a huge disaster! They were mostly released by Pony Canyon, which is why I had a burning contempt for that company for many years. I'm also certain that it's a major reason why Pony Canyon is no longer in the video game business... their reputation must have been so damaged from their contracting their work out to Micronics that they didn't dare show their face in the industry again.

• Like 1

I like this game a lot... Just picked up my copy actually.

Also, I don't really understand all the hate for Laser Blast. I mean, I remember this being one of the more lackluster games on the PS1 Activision Anthology, but it isn't like it's completely unplayable...

Laser Blast is maybe playable for about 5 minutes. By then I was like, "Again? The same 3 f*cking enemies in the same f*cking location doing the same f*cking thing, and all I have to do is shoot them one at a time.". Sucked mightily.

I didn't care much for Empire Strikes Back from what I remember but it's been forever since I played. Wasn't the only enemy in the game the AT-AT Walkers? Borin'.

I didn't care much for Empire Strikes Back from what I remember but it's been forever since I played. Wasn't the only enemy in the game the AT-AT Walkers? Borin'.

Try the variation where the walkers can launch smart bombs after you and colliding with a walker will destroy you.

Many others I must agree with:

Custer's Revenge

Laser Blast

ET

Heavy Nova

Karate

Deadly Towers is pretty bad but it does get better if you stick with it.

Some others:

Dark Castle (Genesis)

Home Run (Atari 2600)

Speaking of Dark Castle on the Sega Genesis, what about Dark Castle on the CD-i? That version is somehow infinitely worse.

inb4 try the Mac version if you don't like Dark Castle

snapback.pngretrorussell, on Mon Jun 3, 2013 5:36 AM, said:

Try the variation where the walkers can launch smart bombs after you and colliding with a walker will destroy you.

Nope that's one of my favorite games. Played it for hours back in the day. But then again, I just like about every game. Just can't think of a worst game. Even "bad" games have something appealing.

Edited by Seob

Any late 80s American home computer port of an arcade side-scroller except for Rastan on the Apple IIGS. That was cool.

I have to question this one. The Simpsons turned out pretty decently on the Commodore 64. I'd say the same for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were it not for a bug that kills the final boss match.

Playing Dark Castle on a console is like playing Kaboom with a joystick. It's not that the game is necessarily bad, it's the implementation on the hardware given the control limitations.

I like this game a lot... Just picked up my copy actually.

Also, I don't really understand all the hate for Laser Blast. I mean, I remember this being one of the more lackluster games on the PS1 Activision Anthology, but it isn't like it's completely unplayable...

That may be the gist of it right there. I like Laser Blast. It was one of my first three games for the Atari 2600 back when I was 11. The total number of videogames I had played in my life was probably still in the single digits. I think my liking the game may be related to the other two factoids. I don't imagine it looks very good to someone who is experiencing for the first time after playing scores of other games first.

That said. I don't think it's a bad game. It's just very limited. It's kind of like finding fault in Starship because it isn't Atari 5200 Star Raiders.

• Like 1

Nope that's one of my favorite games. Played it for hours back in the day.

I like 2600 Empire Strikes Back, too. Very solid take on Defender. Looks great and plays well imho. I still pop it in from time to time. Not my favorite 2600 game, but far from my least favorite.

I like 2600 Empire Strikes Back, too. Very solid take on Defender. Looks great and plays well imho. I still pop it in from time to time. Not my favorite 2600 game, but far from my least favorite.

Same here. Coincidentally, I was just playing this last night. Probably one of my top ten for the system.