IGNORED

Anybody else a 'Collector' of the TI-99 4/A?

schuwalker

I forgot to thank the people who posted replies to my original post, so thanks. As you can tell by my screen name this is all new to me, even though this technology is right around my high school days.

This woman also has dozens of games for Atari 5200, about 25 for 7800, over 100 for 2600. She has Vectrex (20-25), Turbo grafx16 (about 30), Arcadia 2001 (20-25), Atari 400/800 (few dozen), Commodore 64 (50ish), Vic20 (25-30). Am I in the right place to find homes for these? I have posted a few on Ebay and met some great people who have helped me move a bunch of games and who have told me some valuable ones to look out for that she has (Bounty Bob for the 5200 and Tooth Protectors for the 2600 to name two). She seems to have had a plan and had a few gems in her collections. She is in bad shape health wise and I'm looking to generate some $$ for her. Any help/feedback is appreciated.

I forgot to thank the people who posted replies to my original post, so thanks. As you can tell by my screen name this is all new to me, even though this technology is right around my high school days.

This woman also has dozens of games for Atari 5200, about 25 for 7800, over 100 for 2600. She has Vectrex (20-25), Turbo grafx16 (about 30), Arcadia 2001 (20-25), Atari 400/800 (few dozen), Commodore 64 (50ish), Vic20 (25-30). Am I in the right place to find homes for these? I have posted a few on Ebay and met some great people who have helped me move a bunch of games and who have told me some valuable ones to look out for that she has (Bounty Bob for the 5200 and Tooth Protectors for the 2600 to name two). She seems to have had a plan and had a few gems in her collections. She is in bad shape health wise and I'm looking to generate some $$ for her. Any help/feedback is appreciated.

Highest prices tend to be found from ebay, but ebay will also tend to offer the most difficulties, plus all the fees associated with selling there eat into that extra profit anyway. I would post them up in the Marketplace forum here, with photos. Most games aren't worth all that much, especially if they're loose (or often even if they're boxed), but as you indicated some are worth more. To save time for yourself, I would probably bundle the commons together in lots and sell that way, and sell the more rare ones separately. Otherwise you're going to end up mailing small $3-$10 packages off for a long time. Price the lots of commons reasonably and they'll be picked up by new collectors. Fortunately, it sounds like the owner can maybe direct you to some of the more valuable items.

But yes, this is a good place to sell. It's called AtariAge, but most of us collect far more than just Atari. For example, I'm interested in 8 of the 11(?) systems you mentioned, and most of us are similar in that way.

Good luck!

99% of the games she has are in the boxes and quite a few are sealed. I hear you on the shipping small value packages forever concept, not looking to do that.

Between all the systems there are probably 400 games (Did I mention the 150 original NES games?) I have to move. I will look into the marketplace you mentioned later tonight, how does payment work with that, Paypal? Also forgot to mention Intellivision and Colecovision, plus Tandy TSR-80 that she has.

You mentioned an interest in several of the systems I have games for, Is there a way to send you an email with an attachment of games I have? Thanks again for helping me out.

Payment is between buyer and seller. However you want to do it. It has nothing to do with the site, purely seller to buyer. Watch # of posts, and there is a feedback forum that you can check to see if there are issues, or positive feedback for someone.

That most of the games are boxed or even sealed definitely adds to the desirability of the games and will make them a bit easier to sell. For example, I have pretty much all commons loose, but like to get some boxed of certain ones also. If only I'd realized I'd wanted them all boxed instead of buying all loose first! Ah well!

Noob124, could you post a list of her Intellivision and Vectrex games? Or you can send me a PM; maybe that's better to avoid cluttering up this specifically TI-99/4A related thread.

Anyway, those two systems are fairly cut-and-dried, vs. a system like the Atari 2600 which has a much bigger library, so I'd be happy to help on that front. Most Vectrex games have at least some value, so if they're complete that's likely to yield a reasonable sum; most Intellivision games are worth relatively little, but a couple dozen have more value.

Or you could post the complete list in a new thread (probably in the Marketplace).

Keep in mind that we get a lot of drive-by posters who mine us for information, and then use that info to put games on Ebay at wildly inflated prices. If you sell here, your final prices will probably be less than they'd be on Ebay, but you won't have to pay Ebay fees and you'll be selling to a group of people who are generally more reliable and less flaky/scammy than Ebay buyers. I've had great luck with AA, myself.

You probably did about right with the Atarisoft stuff, though you might not get as much for them as you're asking. The price is in range for what they sell for boxed (but one never knows).

I poked around Ebay and posted these 8 games by AtariSoft (in boxes no manuals):

Moon Patrol/Jungle Hunt/Pole Position/MsPac Man (On ebay # 271121853966) and

Donkey Kong, Picnic Paranoia/Defender/PacMan (ebay 271121857136).

A lot of the games below are really common. I've moved a few around to show you the ones that are more difficult:

The Attack (No box but manual & Cart)

Extended Basic (Complete)

Addition/Subtraction 1 (Complete)

Othello (Complete)

Numeration (Complete)

Chisholm Trail (Complete)

Parsec (Complete)

Munchman (Complete)

Connect 4

Hangman

Hustle

Video Chess

Only one here worth mentioning is the Extended BASIC, maybe worth $10, with the rest worth about $1-$3 each. The unopened one below are another story, as you will soon see:

These are uncommon boxed--you might get $5 to $10 each for them.

Micro Surgeon

Congo Bongo

Slymoid

MASH

Munch Mobile

Moon Mine

Sneggit

Jaw Breaker II

Super Demon Attack

Hopper

These three are pretty common--you might get $3 to $5 each for them.

Alpiner

A-Maze-ing

Return to Pirates Isle

These usually go for between $10 and $20 each--the first three because they are for the MBX and the last one because not a lot were sold.

Terry Turtles Adventure (Requires MBX)

BigFoot (Works with MBX or without--enhanced with)

Championship Baseball (Requires MBX)

Treasure Isle

I hope that helps. . .

Wow, thanks for the run down on what's what. I'm amazed by how knowledgeable and willing to help people are in this forum.

I guess my next step should be to put this list over in the marketplace and see where it goes.

Hey Frank,,

glad to see you made it to the forums!!!!!!! you'll have a ton of people after your stash!!

Matt

I collect dozens of systems, including the TI-99/4a. I didn't get into it until the very early 90s, but it has become among my favorites in that bunch to collect for. Obviously it has some particularly fascinating items, like the oversized PEB and the unique MBX, but it also has some interesting third party software support that I really couldn't appreciate the scope of until I actively started to collect for the platform. Of the also-ran low-end systems left in the C-64's wake by the mid-80's, the TI-99/4a was arguably the best supported in that regard, which is amazing considering third party software really didn't start to hit the platform until the end of its commercial life.

When i picked up my boxed TI-99/4a I was given a bunch of catalogs and phamplets even the original reciept ( i blocked out the phone number in the picture). Not sure if these add any value but i keep them with my others. There is a whole catalog of third party pheripherals that where available including a jump on joypad. I added the images of the catalogs and such.

post-30831-0-72512200-1355880183_thumb.jpg

post-30831-0-71368200-1355880198_thumb.jpg

post-30831-0-59643000-1355880218_thumb.jpg

www.thevideogamecollector.com

• 5 weeks later...

I recently picked up a TI-99 4a silver version with the older version PEB and second drive for a good price. It also came with a Bell & Howell tape player, and alot of tapes. The guy I bought it from is a software developer, and this was his first computer. He and a friend had a company that made software for it, mainly games. I haven't had a chance to try any out as the TI developed some issues. It was listed as fully working, but was DOA when I got it. It had that black screen and static sound issue. So, thanks to the web, I managed to fix it and it booted up nicely. Then I found out that the P key didn't work. Managed to get it going but lost 4 other keys in the process...lol...so I bought a few NOS keyboards from ebay, and they are in the mail as we speak. Then I can see if the PEB and drives work, etc etc.

This is a system that I wanted for a while, strictly due to the PEB. Something about that big box and floppy drive called to me. :-) I love those older full height drives. If it wasn't for that PEB I don't think I would have bought one. So now the collecting starts. I am thinking of buying another one as a backup, plus it comes with the joystick and a few manuals. I did buy some parts to make the joystick mod so that I can use regular joysticks, but if I can save some time and use the origial ones, well...why not!

I have too many systems and little money to truly be a collector for any, but consider myself a retro-gamer, and I plan on buying certain titles that look like fun to play. I also like playing the same title on various units, just to see the differences. Something kinda cool at seeing moon patrol (for example) being played/demoed on the TI, C64 and Atari XEGS all running at the same time. :-)

On a different note, I was reading the manual for the RS-232 card, and it mentions that the serial port actually contains two serial outputs, and then it even tells you how to build a Y adapter for it. I never knew about this, and it is just one of those cool surprises that makes me happy I bought the TI-99.

I'd play it more, but it's a minor hassle to set up -- I wish it had the same AV pinout that the C64 and SMS do. And I don't have any joysticks, which is similarly annoying since if it were just pin-compatible with the Atari 2600 I'd be all set. Love the speech synthesis, though.

I had the same issue and started a thread about this a while back. Atari Age user "unhuman" (no quotes) made me two composite cables for a very reasonable price. They allow me to use the 99/4A without the enormous RF switch box.

The TI was my very first computer. I enjoyed it immensely but haven't started collecting for it. I do remember being envious of the Atari and Commodore platforms which seemed to have all of the good titles. So, when I started collecting retro about a year and a half ago, I concentrated on Atari -- what I didn't have as a kid. I'll get Tunnels of Doom hooked up again one of these days...

I actually found a nice TI-99/4a computer with several carts and its books for $20 at a Flea Market in the spring of 1998, roughly a month before we actually bought the first computer to ever grace our home. That first TI went through alot, but still works in spite of being a little beat up. I have three Silver systems counting it, a beige unit and another biege unit for parts. Also have several carts, some tapes and even a regular program recorder complete in its box. It's still my favorite vintage computer and I'd love to find a working monitor along with the cable and a complete and working Periphial Expansion Box for one of my units.

I have a modest TI collection with a few "greatest hits" I remember from childhood (Parsec, Alpiner), a few games I liked when I had a TI emulation kick a decade ago (Hunt the Wumpus), and a small pile of edutainment that I got with various lots.

I'd play it more, but it's a minor hassle to set up -- I wish it had the same AV pinout that the C64 and SMS do. And I don't have any joysticks, which is similarly annoying since if it were just pin-compatible with the Atari 2600 I'd be all set. Love the speech synthesis, though.

What you talkin bout, Willis?

A8s, TI-99/4A, and Commodore 8 bits can all use the same 5 pin din plug for composite.

http://www.1000bit.i...ideoPinouts.htm

http://www.commodore...E4A104C65DB541E

Also, you can recycle your switchbox into your AV cable: disassemble the switch box, desolder your wires from the board and just solder the Audio and video wires (along with separate grounds) to RCA plugs.

Oh, and a Y-adapter for Atari sticks is not hard to make either. There are 2 methods on the web; the one without diodes is easier.

Edited by yell0w_lantern

I had the same issue and started a thread about this a while back. Atari Age user "unhuman" (no quotes) made me two composite cables for a very reasonable price. They allow me to use the 99/4A without the enormous RF switch box.

I've got an order in to the.golden.ax for a composite cable and a joystick adapter. :)

What you talkin bout, Willis?

A8s, TI-99/4A, and Commodore 8 bits can all use the same 5 pin din plug for composite.

Ah, OK, my mistake -- I probably should've said just the SMS, as I have a cable that works with that and the Model 1 Genesis, but not the TI-99 (I don't think I've actually tried it with the C64).

Is there a chart somewhere that lists all the consoles and computers that use 5-pin DIN AV, and compares their level of compatibility/cable interchangeability? I remember trying to sort it out a while ago, and getting thoroughly confused.

BTW the correct spelling is, of course, "Whatchoo". :D

Oh, and a Y-adapter for Atari sticks is not hard to make either. There are 2 methods on the web; the one without diodes is easier.

I recently had my first soldering lesson, so I'm probably not there yet, but I hope to be before long. :)

I've got an order in to the.golden.ax for a composite cable and a joystick adapter. :)

Ah, OK, my mistake -- I probably should've said just the SMS, as I have a cable that works with that and the Model 1 Genesis, but not the TI-99 (I don't think I've actually tried it with the C64).

Is there a chart somewhere that lists all the consoles and computers that use 5-pin DIN AV, and compares their level of compatibility/cable interchangeability? I remember trying to sort it out a while ago, and getting thoroughly confused.

BTW the correct spelling is, of course, "Whatchoo". :D

I recently had my first soldering lesson, so I'm probably not there yet, but I hope to be before long. :)

I can never remember how to spell that. ;)

I've never seen a single chart but then there are way too many systems to do that. I've seen this one: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?141292-AV-or-S-Video-mods-for-Ti-99-4A-and-Vic-20 but it's wrong about Commodore/TI - they're the same for audio and composite video.

I only use 1 TV so I got a selector like this one but with 4 instead of 3: http://www.buy.com/prod/3-in-1-composite-audio-video-selector-switch-box-black-connect-up-to-3/221412242.html?listingId=196374743

I started soldering 3.5 years ago using a youtube video. :-D

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quite large TI-99/4a collection and a Myarc Geneve as well, pretty much everything on disk plus much of the hardware, some carts also making my own new carts.

I stupidly sold a bunch of the original carts in the 80's when I got disk versions, regret that to this day.. I've been a TI owner since 1983 :)

My set up at home:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/250652_10150600151645144_8237536_n.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KHdHrEJ0jDk/T-Ks13Zp0GI/AAAAAAAAADE/TFvAWUuk15E/s878/2012-06-20-215259.jpg

My F18a (VGA out on a 4/a) and CF7 flash setup:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-km6jjsaQ15g/UAo57QAhxFI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/nn07xgy4fnc/s764/2012-07-20_21-43-24_394.jpg

Ti resources:

Online user groups:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a/

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ti994a/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209774843/

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/115448411902768998750/

Development:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/153704-ti-994a-development-resources/ (some great links here for websites too)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/forum/119-ti-994a-programming/

Greg

Nice! Two PEBs? Makes me a bit jealous! Always wanted one of those, but that will have to wait even longer. :(

Easy to fix. LMK when you are ready there was just a large collection made available from one of the guys on the OLUG who is in TX. Lots of TI parts even some rarer memory boards..

Greg