IGNORED

Wii U sold out!

atarian63

Seems like it happens every launch that occurs around the end of the year.

Apparently people tend to buy stuff towards the Christmas holiday. Go figure.

The Gamestop near me had a stack of them. To be honest though, I'm not sure if they were actual units, or a display of empty boxes.

I pre-ordered mine which is currently in the mail but I was in Best Buy on Sunday to pick up some Christmas gifts and saw a half dozen or so of the basic bundle. All sold out of the deluxe and also the black pro controller. Seems to be selling well then again though, like Emehr said, perhaps it's a manufactured shortage?

My local Wah-mah had two 32GB Deluxe and one 8GB standard edition, a few hours ago. I thought about buying a Deluxe (or 2?) for Ebay re-selling, but then I saw they seem to be going for $420 to $460, mostly.....

(completed listing search with "&_LH_NOB=1.." added to end)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3Dwii%2520u%252032gb%26rt%3Dnc%26LH_PrefLoc%3D0%26LH_Complete%3D1%26_LH_NOB%3D1..

......and that doesn't leave much room for profit. They're not going for $500+. Add in the Ebay fees, plus the possibility that you'll get scammed with a chargeback/etc. and it ain't worth the risk.

Good news is, you can get one for $350 down the street at Wah-mah. Once again, I chuckle at pre-orders. Pre-order is a willing service FOR THE STORE, not for the customer.

This is the first game system where I don't even give a crap. Do I want it? Sure. I'll try any game console. Can I wait, yes. I have over 100 games from this generation that I haven't even played yet. They are making it faster than I can even care to keep up with. I get more curmudgeonly every day. In with the old and I don't care about the new.

• Like 2

Same old same old. I'm confident however that when I decide I'm going to buy one (i.e. over the next 3 years or so) that I will have absolutely zero problems finding one. :)

Then again, if I walk into a Target in May 2015 and there is no Wii U's available, I'll owe exactly 10 of you a dime.

• Like 3

Is it a manufactured shortage? Maybe. Does it need to be? No. In the last 10 years, game consoles have really become hot general-purpose Christmas gifts, in the same category as digital cameras and iPods. Back when all this gen's systems were still new, I remember a LOT of people would come into the store wanting to buy a Wii for Aunt Suzy and her 56 kids. If the Wii was sold out, they'd take a PS3. If the PS3 was sold out, they'd take a 360. If the 360 was out, they'd take a PS2. But dammit, they were going to have ONE of those game consoles, and it didn't matter which one. Consequently, it became impossible to have any game-playing hardware in stock around December.

Things have changed a little. The economy has been struggling longer, and smartphones are a bigger factor now. However, Christmas is still Christmas and I'm betting a lot of these consoles are disappearing just so someone can check a name off their shopping list.

By the time good games start coming out there will be units available. I don't think you'll see shortages lasting as long as the Wii one did. Nintendo got caught off guard with the Wii, they've learned with the Wii-U and won't make the same mistake twice. This is just the normal launch time/holiday shortage. Everyone console has that.

• Like 1

By the time good games start coming out there will be units available. I don't think you'll see shortages lasting as long as the Wii one did. Nintendo got caught off guard with the Wii, they've learned with the Wii-U and won't make the same mistake twice. This is just the normal launch time/holiday shortage. Everyone console has that.

Agreed. Plus, although the population continues to grow, the population's gaming interest is spread over 10x more devices than it was, when the original Wii came out. Add to that the fact that the Wii U isn't comparatively cheap (vs. original Wii, or the competing consoles) and there's just less demand than there was, 6 years ago. The original Wii shortages were simply stunning, as long as they went on for. Considering my speculative facts here, I question whether we'll ever see anything like that original Wii shortage, again. Perhaps for an iPad-type device, but I doubt it for ANY game console, in this modern era of Entertainment Overload.

Theres no economic downturn here. Things never slowed down. Cept our mutal funds that sank cause of the wall street/US ties to our markets. Were all ready to buy the wii u buy the dozen..Looks great you can use the wii motion controller. I can never go back to a pad for a modern system. I tried ps3 with the dark muttled background and the controller yuk. Who cares about the graphics when I am moving a stick around to shoot someone. I would rather point my wii shotgun and kill em and yeah I play games always standing up .. I never play a game longer than 30 min anyways... dont have time..

Hmm none here selling for 800.00 on classifieds. Wonder if I can import them to canada?

Might be like the wii never got one till 08 when I could easily find them on the shelves.. I never rush around or line up for nothing. why? Its come one of these years. it will be new to me. Too bad they dont make enough for demand. Market b4 christmas is the key I guess.

Edited by Jinks

Happen to drop by a Target, GameStop, Best Buy and Walmart. No Wii U's anywhere to be found.

Target had two pre-orders sitting in the back that had not been picked up yet.

Gamestop said that they were still filling their pre-orders and people on the waiting list might not see any till January.

BestBuy the guy said he had just sold the last one (white) an hour ago. There were plenty of release games there available for sale, as well as some accessories. :lol:

Walmart.. the guy seemed kinda clueless. But he claimed that they had not even received any Wii-U's yet. :lol:

i stopped at a best buy last night, there was a bunch of opened cartons in front of the display and two deluxe models on the display. i picked up one of the two. i think there will be shortages through the holidays, but they wont be impossible to find.

and kudos to nintendo for shipping with an HDMI cable