On Myide 2 you can use a Side loader, so you that way you run xex and com files from a fat 32 partition,

the driver is used with pemission of the side folks

that would be a lie - noone asked about premissions to use it, so stop repeating this, or there won't be side loader for myide at all

The force is strong with this one...

When I bought the MaxFlash carts and SIO2PC/usb, I thought I had all I needed. It was great. My favorite games all loading nearly instantly.

The only problem was with games that needed to write to disk like Seven Cities of Gold (which I love).

I really have no problems, but there is this theoretical issue where I might want to swap out disks for games that have more than four sides. Is this device a replacement for a floppy drive? Could I swap out five CF cards each with an image of one side of a five disk game?

The force is strong with this one...

When I bought the MaxFlash carts and SIO2PC/usb, I thought I had all I needed. It was great. My favorite games all loading nearly instantly.

The only problem was with games that needed to write to disk like Seven Cities of Gold (which I love).

I really have no problems, but there is this theoretical issue where I might want to swap out disks for games that have more than four sides. Is this device a replacement for a floppy drive? Could I swap out five CF cards each with an image of one side of a five disk game?

short answer:

no :(

it needs to be patched,

kind like how ultima iv -that 's four disks-

was for the Atarimax 8mb flash carts

that would be a lie - noone asked about premissions to use it, so stop repeating this, or there won't be side loader for myide at all

I did email you if I could use your 8k rom version and patch it for MyIDE-I and MyIDE-II.

And you were OK with that.

This not to (perhaps) upset other users, I just mention this.

But if you want, I will remove the remark about your permission.

No problem.

Later!

Sijmen.

Well, as we've seen, open-source projects certainly aren't free from fights. In any case, NONE of the tools pertinent to SIDE or MyIDE 2 are open source, to my knowledge, so the point is purely academic. And I see absolutely no reason to compel an author to make anything open-source just because the product is aimed at the hobbyist and isn't generating revenue... nothing at all. The moot point here is that the "free" software contributes to the "feature set" of a particular piece of hardware which IS generating revenue. Few authors have a problem with that as long they're kept in the loop.

• Like 1

Well, as we've seen, open-source projects certainly aren't free from fights.

Fights were over quality of the fixes, not about rights.... Open source certainly does not mean quick and dirty..... but it means open to everybody to use, to distribute, and to change... Besides, even open source has its guidelines.... If one wants to do quick changes and not willing to test it fully before releasing it, they should have their own "branch/version" but leave the original alone....

I still think any project that falls into a hobby category should have it's hardware/software design open source, I don't see why it would be proprietary unless the author wants to make money/living off of it. I find it interesting that when it comes to the timing of delivery of the goods it's always "a hobby", but when the design/software is concerned it is not ;-)

Edited by atari8warez

Can the Myide II redirect IO so I can copy files from either APE or a 1050 to the Myide II device? Thanks

Hi Ken,

You can access the SRAM from any mappable page (right, left, keyhole), either as read/write or read-only.

There is programming information posted in the forum here:

http://www.atarimax....lashcart/forum/

There are also complete reference CF access routines that include media change detection, if you want to write CF aware software. These are the same routines that I use in the hardware diagnostic.

If you want your software to run under Sijmen's MyBIOS, you need to avoid the areas in use by MyBIOS. If you want to just use the raw hardware, you can follow the register specification and do whatever you want with the RAM.

Steve

Edited by IndusGT