IGNORED

PacManPlus

mmervine

I guess the flood of 7800 goodness could not last forever.. Bob will be missed.. I bought every game he made in the last couple years. We all really want the Bentley Bear to for sure be completed. It would be easily the greatest 7800 gane ever made to date..Maybe one day he'll miss programming.. Thank you Bob and all the best!! A legendary 7800 programmer, and a great guy.

I really hope everything is OK in Bob's life outside of our little community. Bob's 7800 games are the whole reason I got back into collecting heavily, and Failsafe is the reason I joined AA...Bob's programing directly influenced me to become a subscriber. If not for Bob:

• I would have more money in my wallet. :grin:
  • I would have far less fun every day, as I play at least one of his games daily.
  • I would have far less friends (AA is wonderful!).
  • My collection would consist of an Xbox 360, TG16 and 2600 (the TG16 and 2600 I got at launch).

I hope Bob is not leaving for good, as he definitely made a major positive impact on my life...beyond just the fun games he has programed.

Bob...if you are listening, we all wish you well. As you can surely tell, you have provided all of us with an incredible gaming experience, and it has been a pleasure getting to know you within the AA threads & PM conversations. Please let us know if you ever need anything...I, for one, have benefited from knowing you and would be happy to return the favor in any way I can. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I guess it is appropriate enough on Thanksgiving to truly and sincerely say THANK YOU to Bob. For years of dealing and communicating with Bob he has been nothing short of a class act and a genuine, warm and sincere individual. He has been very self-sacrificing and beyond accommodating. He is sorely and deeply missed by the community now – Indeed for his games, but even more so for the character and stand-up guy he is and I know always will be. The loss is truly ours and Bob if you read this I hope you know you’re one of a kind and unforgettable. I can honestly say my life has been enhanced for the better in crossing paths with Bob and the various correspondences we have had.

Thank you for all you have done for the community and as a friend.

Bob is awesome and his 7800 games rock! His games always felt like a gift to the community. He put a lot of effort into making them great and charged very little for all his hard work. I hope he continues to write games for some platform. iPhone, Android, etc. Of course the 7800 will still be here if he gets the urge to make a few more games. :)

Aww... :_(

Bob is a stand-up guy. I think I could even say he's the nicest guy I've dealt with on atariage.

I am sad to see him go, but then again, there are times in life when things change and I understand that you have to move on.

@mmervine-- your blog post indicates that he dumped his source code to the world-- where is the source code posted?

I've always wondered how he did some of his magic, although part of me feels like it'd be sacrilege to look at it.

Also, @mmervine, since it's quite possible that Bob may not be returning to atariage for awhile, I'd like to humbly that you at least make sure he's aware of this thread.

I'm not suggesting that he reply-- but, I'd at least like to make sure that he knows how much he was appreciated by a lot of is.

He will be missed. Without him, my Atari 7800 coding level would never have gotten to where it is.

Bob was a great motivator, and always helpful with a piece of code, advice, or playtesting when needed.

I looked up to him, and wish him well.

-John

Aww... :_(

Bob is a stand-up guy. I think I could even say he's the nicest guy I've dealt with on atariage.

I am sad to see him go, but then again, there are times in life when things change and I understand that you have to move on.

@mmervine-- your blog post indicates that he dumped his source code to the world-- where is the source code posted?

I've always wondered how he did some of his magic, although part of me feels like it'd be sacrilege to look at it.

Also, @mmervine, since it's quite possible that Bob may not be returning to atariage for awhile, I'd like to humbly that you at least make sure he's aware of this thread.

I'm not suggesting that he reply-- but, I'd at least like to make sure that he knows how much he was appreciated by a lot of is.

He will be missed. Without him, my Atari 7800 coding level would never have gotten to where it is.

Bob was a great motivator, and always helpful with a piece of code, advice, or playtesting when needed.

I looked up to him, and wish him well.

-John

John-I have been in touch with Bob via e-mail and he is aware of my blog and I let him know about the forum...I hope he logs in and sees this thread. His source code is posted here...

Mark

http://www.atariage....-my-source-code

Edited by mmervine

Why Bob? With the XM looming, we were all really looking forward to seeing what you had in store for that machine! Kind of feel like that purchase just lost half of its value if you aren't going to be programming for it. Darn it.

Well Bob - you were the greatest 7800 programmer of all time. I hope you will consider coming back for just a little bit when you can. A few hours each weekend? Heehee. Bob really took care of me personally over the years - an outstanding gentleman with impeccable service and the best games.

Hope you can comment on the situation, Bob, and all the best to you and yours.

Don't have a 7800, but it seems it's somewhere in the back of my mind to get one, one day. Bob's games that I've seen media of, certainly make the platform look appealing.

However, just seeing the pictures and videos of Bob's games is enough to see talent, and I can recognize talent, although I have none.

One of the nice things about the Atari community is that when you take a leave of absence, you're always welcome back. Come back, Bob, your games make me want to get a 7800.

• Like 2

I don't know Bob, but his games are fantastic. He really set the standard for what homebrew can be, creating multiple games that are as good as or better than the best the 7800 originally had to offer. Bob was to the 7800 homebrew scene what David Crane was to the 2600 in its prime. And on top of that, he seemed like a great guy. I truly wish him the best in life.

As for the Atari community, this is a disaster. Bob didn't just talk about his games, he made them. Not only was he talented, he was prolific. I don't know of any of anyone who could begin to take Bob's place.

• Like 2