IGNORED

PacManPlus

mmervine

He was doing Bentley Bear with Pac Man Red doing graphics for him. It was the most complicated 7800 game anyone ever seen. With some more work and enough cart space it could have rivaled SMB or Adventure Island. I know he has the talent. We also knew he wanted to have it ready for a classic gaming show this sept or oct. he didnt make the deadline but still worked on it and gave us roms to play all along the way. I do remember on that thread for Bentley Bear discussing the game and the difficulty and what could be different. I think a handful of us rambled on for a page probably. He never responded to any of it. Never heard from him again. So.. I really hope I have not offended him.

As far as I know, he's one of the people who believes that player comments shouldn't feed your ego or damage your self-esteem. When you have that attitude, you're pretty much bulletproof, so you won't usually take your ball and go home (no matter what people say or how much abuse you get from trolls). You just take it all as feedback that you can use to make better games. He must have left for some other reason. Maybe he's just sitting around listening to the radio.

Thank you Bob for helping bring new life for the Atari 7800.....I have purchased every game you have homebrewed and in my personal opinion, they are the best games in my 7800 collection......Your work is appreciated by all of us here....Thank you for sharing your creativity with us all....Peace.............P.S, if you decide to get back into making games, I have a list of about 259 games for you to port. :) LoL, just kidding.......Peace be with you.

Thank you Bob for helping bring new life for the Atari 7800.....I have purchased every game you have homebrewed and in my personal opinion, they are the best games in my 7800 collection......Your work is appreciated by all of us here....Thank you for sharing your creativity with us all....Peace.............P.S, if you decide to get back into making games, I have a list of about 259 games for you to port. :) LoL, just kidding.......Peace be with you.

...and thank you for your avatar StunRunner87!!!!

PS: what is that white stain on her sock??? :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

• Like 3

Man, this is the first I've heard about Bob retiring. I must say it hurts to hear. There is no greater single man who has contributed as much to the homebrew community. Just about everything I could say echoes what everyone else is saying, but when you really think about it, this man really didn't know any of us, and for the most part, none of us really know him. In light of that, it makes his efforts and giving nature to the community that more impressive, and that more of a loss. Good luck Bob, in whatever you do from here, you've earned plenty of karma by us.

• Like 2

Oh man. This is sad news indeed.

The fact that he is selling his complete collection and has dumped his source code into the public domain says to me that he is trying to make a permanant break from the community. Disinvesting oneself of everything related to one's hobby is a pretty big step, and an indicator that there is an intention not to return to it.

I can only hope that whatever the reason Pacmanplus has for leaving the community isn't one that is too awful. I could speculate, as could we all, but it probably would be best not to. I know what is to make a hard choice and abandon something that has been a long term hobby/obsession. If he's had to make this choice for such reasons that I had to make mine, then I fully support his decision and wish him the very best moving forward. Well, I wish him the best regardless.

I love his games. He will be missed.

As an aside, I agree with the others here who are concerned about the XM with PMP leaving. He was the most prolific of the 7800 programmers. Without him, the XM may end up like Atarivox. Supported by a couple games, and then forgotten. I sure as hell hope not, but well, there it is. With luck, perhaps some other hobbiest will take his example, step forward and continue to support the community by writing.

Edited by Lendorien

I hope PMP isn't leaving Atariage because of my bad posting skills.....Am I that horrible to read?....Purhaps if we all got on our knees and begged PMP not to leave......I'm kneeling right now....PLEASE PACMANPLUS, DON'T LEAVE !!!! ATARI7800 WIL DIE WITHOUT YOU.....THERE WILL BE NOTHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO WITHOUT YOU......Please sir, don't leave......I humbly beg of you....Come back.....come.....back.............Noooooooo!!!!! :( .....I want to find out who pissed Pacmanplus off....Whoever the culprit is that pissed Bob off, when we find him, we will burn him at the stake in the middle of town square....We love you Bob......You are the messiah of Atari......If Jesus could rise from the dead, then so can Bob Christ........All we can do is have faith and pray that Bob ressurects and returns to his kingdom.......

Edited by Stun Runner 87

I just got to thinking and came up with a few conspiracy theories on to why Bob is leaving....

Theory #1 is that maybe The jaggoffs that currently own Atari Inc threatened PMP with legal action for making games with the Atari name on it.

Theory #2 is that maybe He got frusturated with making Bentley Bear.

Theory # 3 is that maybe he had to many requests and felt smothered and just got tired....plus he probably has more reallife thing going on like family issues and work.

Theory #4 is that purhaps he isn't leaving at all and is reading this thread right now just to see if we r3ally appreciate him.

Theory #5 is that maybe he's top secretly building a brand new Atari console that will put Xbox and Playstation to shame.

Theory #6 is that maybe someone pissed him off, plain and simple.

Theory #7 is that maybe Bob got sick of Atari and has decided to join the Nintendo club to homebrew NEs games.

Theory #8 is that maybe he just needs some rest and is taking a vacation in the Bahammas or Jamaica.

Theroy #9 is that maybe Aliens from outerspace saw what a great programmer he was and beamed him up to another planet to help them build a new circuit board for there space crafts.....Plus I believe that beings from other worlds and dimensions are Atari fans too and need Bob to make games for them.

Theory #10 is that maybe my posts are so odd and radical that purhaps reading them on this forum made him ill.

Theory #11 is that purhaps is that maybe he left with Doc Brown and took a trip back in time to the 1980s to kick Jack Tremiels ass for not releasing Pac Man for the 7800....When Bob returns back to good old 2012, the time-space continuum will be altered and this whole thread will vanish and in the alternate newly creaTed universe, we are discussing another topic.

I have more conspiracy theories, but my typing fingers are tired now. Ill share the rest of them later if you want...

Edited by Stun Runner 87

I just got to thinking and came up with a few conspiracy theories on to why Bob is leaving....

Theory #1 is that maybe The jaggoffs that currently own Atari Inc threatened PMP with legal action for making games with the Atari name on it.

Theory #2 is that maybe He got frusturated with making Bentley Bear.

Theory # 3 is that maybe he had to many requests and felt smothered and just got tired....plus he probably has more reallife thing going on like family issues and work.

Theory #4 is that purhaps he isn't leaving at all and is reading this thread right now just to see if we r3ally appreciate him.

Theory #5 is that maybe he's top secretly building a brand new Atari console that will put Xbox and Playstation to shame.

Theory #6 is that maybe someone pissed him off, plain and simple.

Theory #7 is that maybe Bob got sick of Atari and has decided to join the Nintendo club to homebrew NEs games.

Theory #8 is that maybe he just needs some rest and is taking a vacation in the Bahammas or Jamaica.

Theroy #9 is that maybe Aliens from outerspace saw what a great programmer he was and beamed him up to another planet to help them build a new circuit board for there space crafts.....Plus I believe that beings from other worlds and dimensions are Atari fans too and need Bob to make games for them.

Theory #10 is that maybe my posts are so odd and radical that purhaps reading them on this forum made him ill.

Theory #11 is that purhaps is that maybe he left with Doc Brown and took a trip back in time to the 1980s to kick Jack Tremiels ass for not releasing Pac Man for the 7800....When Bob returns back to good old 2012, the time-space continuum will be altered and this whole thread will vanish and in the alternate newly creaTed universe, we are discussing another topic.

I have more conspiracy theories, but my typing fingers are tired now. Ill share the rest of them later if you want...

Maybe its all of them... except #9... as if that would really happen, or could it ... :rolling:

Does anyone know if Ken Siders, Groovy B or Gambler still make homebrews or are in the process of doing so for the 7800????

If Bob is indeed leaving us, then they will have to step there game up.......Obi Wan Kenobi said that Bob was our last hope., but Yoda spoke of another......Obi Wan had better not tell me its my sister or else we are truely doomed..She doesn't even know how to use a computer :).....

Edited by Stun Runner 87

The 7800 is worthless without his games

Now that's mean. There's no denying PacManPlus has contributed greatly t the 7800, but it's not like other homebrewers wouldn't do a fine job as well. As mentioned above, the Bee will sting, so all is not lost. There's always movement in the Atari scene, that's why we're still talking new games for all those long discontinues systems today; the era of Bob may have come to an end, but others will follow. :)

• Like 7

Now that's mean. There's no denying PacManPlus has contributed greatly t the 7800, but it's not like other homebrewers wouldn't do a fine job as well. As mentioned above, the Bee will sting, so all is not lost. There's always movement in the Atari scene, that's why we're still talking new games for all those long discontinues systems today; the era of Bob may have come to an end, but others will follow. :)

That's what I said.....Yoda spoke of another hope....Groovy Bee will bring balence to the force...Starting with Super Worm World. :)

Since Bentley Bear is hybernating for the winter, purhaps Groovy Bee can create a new Mario type sidescrolling game with a bee as the main character....The title of the game can be....."groovy bee".....that would be groovy....:)

Edited by Stun Runner 87

Anyone with solid knowledge of Why has he left us?

Really, it's none of our business. Maybe he just wants a breather. Let's let him have it.

The 7800 is worthless without his games

While I have great respect for what Bob has done and thing the 7800 is even more exciting due to his work (as well as the work of others), this forum wouldn't exist if everyone felt that way.

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 3

That's what I said.....Yoda spoke of another hope....Groovy Bee will bring balence to the force...Starting with Super Worm World. :)

Since Bentley Bear is hybernating for the winter, purhaps Groovy Bee can create a new Mario type sidescrolling game with a bee as the main character....The title of the game can be....."groovy bee".....that would be groovy.... :)

Don't count on GroovyBee creating Super Worm World anytime soon. I am saying that because he has 6 7800 expansion module games that he needs to be complete. GroovyBee also been helping Curt with the 7800 expansion module hardware.

The people on the Intellivision message boarding are waiting for him to be done with the 3 Intellivision games he announced after he's done the 7800 expansion module. GroovyBee also has 3 games that need to be complete for the Atari Jaguar also.

All this means is don't count on GroovyBee creating new 7800 projects for a while once his current 7800 XM games are completed and the 7800 Expansion Module is done. I wouldn't be shocked if GrooyBee does more 7800 once his Intellivision and Jaguar games he started are completed though.

The people on the Intellivision and Atari Jaguar forums have the right to have the games that GroovyBee started for Intellivision, and the Jaguar to be completed also. The games for the Intellivision and the Atari Jaguar has to be a priority for him once is done with the 7800 expansion module and the current expansion module games.

Edited by 8th lutz

Don't count on GroovyBee creating Super Worm World anytime soon. I am saying that because he has 6 7800 expansion module games that he needs to be complete. GroovyBee also been helping Curt with the 7800 expansion module hardware.

The people on the Intellivision message boarding are waiting for him to be done with the 3 Intellivision games he announced after he's done the 7800 expansion module. GroovyBee also has 3 games that need to be complete for the Atari Jaguar also.

All this means is don't count on GroovyBee creating Super Worm World once the 7800 expansion module is completed and his current 7800 expansion module games are completed. The people on the Intellivision and Atari Jaguar forums have the right to have the games that GroovyBee started for Intellivision, and the Jaguar to be completed also.

Then who is going to be the 7800s new chosen one??????Time will tell.............I wish I new how to program games...

The people on the Intellivision and Atari Jaguar forums have the right to have the games that GroovyBee started for Intellivision, and the Jaguar to be completed also. The games for the Intellivision and the Atari Jaguar has to be a priority for him once is done with the 7800 expansion module and the current expansion module games.

Mark can finish whatever game he wants whenever he wants. No one really has a right to have any particular game finished unless they've already paid money for it.
  • Like 2