IGNORED

PacManPlus

mmervine

When you stop and think that - in its commercial lifetime - the 7800 had fewer than 60 games released, Bob's contributions to the library are all the more amazing. I was going through my Cuttle Cart tonight and am quite simply in awe of how many games he churned out. And also in awe at how he grew and kept exploring ideas like creating a paddle game or making an NES type game or using the high res modes to great effect.

I mean - look at the library ... and I'm probably forgetting a bunch:

1. Space Invaders

2. Crazy Brix

3. Failsafe

4. Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest

5. Scramble

6. Space Duel

7. Asteroids Deluxe

8. Moon Cresta

9. Pacman 320

10. Ms Pacman 320

11. Super Pac Man

12. Pac Man Jr

13. Pac Man

14. Meteor Shower

15. Super Circus Atariage

The man added 15 games to a console that originally didn't have 60 in its lifetime! And he added games of all types ... from updated classic arcade games, to sequels, to NES style games. He shared his source code generously. He always made sure that binary files were available free of charge and still worked to make sure cartridges were there too.

His impact was incredible. When I got back into the 7800 years ago, it was largely out of nostalgia for some original games. But Bob (and other homebrewers) really breathed new life. I mean - think about it. Bob grew the library by more than 25% by himself!

Wow!

• Like 7

Bob's impact on the 7800 can't be understated. If Bob programed his games when the Atari 7800 had games commercial released during it's lifetime, people would looked at the 7800 differently.

Bob developed system sellers that the 7800 during its commercial lifetime didn't have. While the 7800 sold 3.77 million units in North American during its commercial lifetime, Bob would have caused the units of the 7800 that were bought by consumers to increase.

Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest would have been a system seller. Pac-Man fans back in the late 1980's and early 1990's would have bought the 7800 for the amount of Pac-Man games developed for the system. I believe the 7800 would have had an advantage over the Nes and the SMS in terms of games in a Pac-man franchise if the amount of Pac-Man games Bob did including the Pac-Man games found in Pac-Man collection.

Even without counting the Pac-Man franchise, Bob's arcade ports would have brought in people that remembered play arcade games that were released in the late 1970's to the early 1980's. Space Invaders, scramble, Asteroids deluxe, Moon Cresta,Space Duel, and Ripoff been great additions to the 7800 from its late 1970's to 1983 arcade game release. The 7800 did have 13 games during its commercial lifetime that were released in the late 1970's to 1983. That meant the 7800 would have had big game library in terms of older arcade games.

What also Bob brought to the 7800 is games that shut the critics up claiming the 7800 is capable of doing such a game or how good the 7800 really was from a graphical standpoint like Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest proved.

What Bob did for me is give the 7800 game library that My younger brother and I would have had gotten better choices of 7800 games to pick from back when we bought or received 7800 games from 1989 to 1991. When the Nes was at its peak in the late 1980's, we didn't have a Nes. I believe most of the students that were video game players in elementary school we went to owned a Nes at the time. What Bob's games would have done is have the people over would have had better choices to select a game to play.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 2

When you stop and think that - in its commercial lifetime - the 7800 had fewer than 60 games released, Bob's contributions to the library are all the more amazing. I was going through my Cuttle Cart tonight and am quite simply in awe of how many games he churned out. And also in awe at how he grew and kept exploring ideas like creating a paddle game or making an NES type game or using the high res modes to great effect.

1. Space Invaders

2. Crazy Brix

3. Failsafe

5. Scramble

6. Space Duel

7. Asteroids Deluxe

8. Moon Cresta

9. Pacman 320

10. Ms Pacman 320

11. Super Pac Man

12. Pac Man Jr

13. Pac Man

14. Meteor Shower

The man added 15 games to a console that originally didn't have 60 in its lifetime! And he added games of all types ... from updated classic arcade games, to sequels, to NES style games. He shared his source code generously. He always made sure that binary files were available free of charge and still worked to make sure cartridges were there too.

His impact was incredible. When I got back into the 7800 years ago, it was largely out of nostalgia for some original games. But Bob (and other homebrewers) really breathed new life. I mean - think about it. Bob grew the library by more than 25% by himself!

Wow!

16 Rip-Off

With a dozen or so 7800's and TV's you could have a great Arcade just With Bob's games

and play his CD which I have for background music and your set!

Will miss ya Bob Hope our paths cross again on AA

1. Space Invaders

2. Crazy Brix

3. Failsafe

5. Scramble

6. Space Duel

7. Asteroids Deluxe

8. Moon Cresta

9. Pacman 320

10. Ms Pacman 320

11. Super Pac Man

12. Pac Man Jr

13. Pac Man

14. Meteor Shower

Wow!

Very well said sir...........Its amazing when you consider that Bob made about 20 % of 7800 games available today.......Does anyone know if Bentley Bear was finished or will be released on cart someday?

Bob's impact on the 7800 can't be understated. If Bob programed his games when the Atari 7800 had games commercial released during it's lifetime, people would looked at the 7800 differently.

Bob developed system sellers that the 7800 during its commercial lifetime didn't have. While the 7800 sold 3.77 million units in North American during its commercial lifetime, Bob would have caused the units of the 7800 that were bought by consumers to increase.

Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest would have been a system seller. Pac-Man fans back in the late 1980's and early 1990's would have bought the 7800 for the amount of Pac-Man games developed for the system. I believe the 7800 would have had an advantage over the Nes and the SMS in terms of games in a Pac-man franchise if the amount of Pac-Man games Bob did including the Pac-Man games found in Pac-Man collection.

Even without counting the Pac-Man franchise, Bob's arcade ports would have brought in people that remembered play arcade games that were released in the late 1970's to the early 1980's. Space Invaders, scramble, Asteroids deluxe, Moon Cresta,Space Duel, and Ripoff been great additions to the 7800 from its late 1970's to 1983 arcade game release. The 7800 did have 13 games during its commercial lifetime that were released in the late 1970's to 1983. That meant the 7800 would have had big game library in terms of older arcade games.

What also Bob brought to the 7800 is games that shut the critics up claiming the 7800 is capable of doing such a game or how good the 7800 really was from a graphical standpoint like Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest proved.

What Bob did for me is give the 7800 game library that My younger brother and I would have had gotten better choices of 7800 games to pick from back when we bought or received 7800 games from 1989 to 1991. When the Nes was at its peak in the late 1980's, we didn't have a Nes. I believe most of the students that were video game players in elementary school we went to owned a Nes at the time. What Bob's games would have done is have the people over would have had better choices to select a game to play.

Some of the games that Bob made were based on technology that was not available when the 7800 was in it's heyday...albeit it would have been amazing if it were and would have probably sparked more programmers to get on board.

I will say that Bob did more for the 7800 community than I think he fully realizes. I know that the PacMan collection will be forever a jewel in my line of 7800 games. He never ceased to amaze me with what he could make the 7800 do.

Edited by NIKON

Just had a bit of a gaming session. Pac man collection pokey (Bob upgraded my original cart when it died,that's the kind of Guy he is) ,pac man 320, meteor shower,moon cresta,asteroids deluxe,space invaders, super pac man

Happy times

Bob just posted this comment on my blog site...

http://retrogameguy....hanks/#comments

I read your blog and Bobs comments.............Bob is such a good guy and stays humble...........I wish nothing but the best for him and his future endeavors................He will be seriously missed in the Atari community........................................................Also, from what I read in his comments is that Bentley Bear wil be finished.....That's very good news as we will have yet another game in the near future to add to Bobs legacy here...................Many thanks and best wishes to Bob..........

Edited by Stun Runner 87

Damnit, Stun Runner 87, where did you get that picture?

Update:

The link below may not be totally work safe. I just noticed some softcore images farther down the page on the right side.

Possibly from here:

arielrebelunplugged.com/2010/01/ariel-rebel-and-andi-pink-g4tv-gmaer-shoot.html

I did a Search by image at Google using his avatar. If you do the same, be careful. There are some very not safe for work links there because Ariel Rebel has been a naughty girl.

If you look at those photos, you'll see that the 'stain' is actually the color of the socks. The darker part is a shadow. Check out the similar picture with her finger in her mouth and you'll see that the shadow has moved.

Have you ever noticed that a lot of girls will go out of their way to wax every little part of themselves from below their nose, all the way down to their toes, but they won't touch the monkey hair on their forearms?

• Like 4

So sounds like Bob will get help with the sound for Bentley Bear, and it can be finished.

But sadly if only the sound is added I think the game will not reach its full potential. We had a lively discussion about the good and bad aspects in the game's threads, and there was definitely room for improvement still. To really be the Atari game to compete with Super Mario Bros and Alex Kidd more work would be needed... as it is it will still be a nice game for the 7800, but nowhere near the genre classics. I so wish PacManPlus had been able to finish it. :(

But sadly if only the sound is added I think the game will not reach its full potential. We had a lively discussion about the good and bad aspects in the game's threads, and there was definitely room for improvement still. To really be the Atari game to compete with Super Mario Bros and Alex Kidd more work would be needed... as it is it will still be a nice game for the 7800, but nowhere near the genre classics. I so wish PacManPlus had been able to finish it. :(

I havn't been following the BB thread so I don't know what changes have been discussed, but I can certainly make updates to the gameplay if needed. I'll see that it gets finished. People will need to be patient though because I have plenty of projects keeping me busy these days.

• Like 7

How come everytime I go away for more than a couple weeks something like this happens? Man.

Well, PMP, if you are reading this, thanks. Your games are incredible. You were great to buy games from directly, and made some of the best arcade translations on any system, ever. Not just best homebrew ones. Not just best 7800 ones. Some of the all time best arcade to console conversions anyone ever did, anywhere, for any system, ever.

You've also been a really cool member here. I hope some day you come back, but if not, what you already did here more than stands on its own.

Colin

• Like 5

That's a big loss for us that he's stopping homebrew. But at the end of the day, his happiness is what is most important.

Thanks Bob for all that you've done!

Drac said it all. I'd just like to add that 7800 Space Invaders is one of my favorite games on the system.

Thanks Bob! Be well. :)

Edited by legeek

Just finished playing scramble, ripp off, moon cresta, and meteor shower, makes me miss the days he was cranking them out! I remember checking daily not to miss a new game. There was 4 more that I was waiting for hopefully we get scaa n pac 320 on cart someday!