IGNORED

PacManPlus

mmervine

Just finished playing scramble, ripp off, moon cresta, and meteor shower, makes me miss the days he was cranking them out! I remember checking daily not to miss a new game. There was 4 more that I was waiting for hopefully we get scaa n pac 320 on cart someday!

:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMAe31FFHbo

Edited by Stun Runner 87

Just when you think we've all said what we can say about Bob's amazing generosity...

I posted on that aforementioned blog and mentioned how I wished I'd bought the album mentioned in this thread - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/141560-my-vinyl-album-is-here-d/

Guess what showed up in my mail this morning. Wow.

Thats way cool!! As a musician myself retired at 35 I love listening to non popular music. I have made a handfull of recordings mostly demos then band broke up. I wish I could do it again to make a record like that. I never knew he made a record? Wonder if I could get a mp3 or something of it?

Bob will be back...

Considering the skill of his coding, I have determined that he must be a Terminator...sent here from the year 2029 to protect John Connor's grandson. He obviously got here a bit early, and had some time to kill, so he made us some amazing games for the Atari 7800 (the console of the future!). Sadly, he must be heading back now to help the resistance. If we all sit tight, we will catch up to him in another 17 years...that is if Cyberdyne Systems doesn't become self aware and destroy the world!!!! :D

• Like 5

I'm looking for the code. I should have a couple of weeks more or less 'free' coming up before Christmas... and thought I would try to get back into assembly. Obviously I'm not talking about /finishing/ anything in that time, but GORF is one of those projects I would like to take over if possible.

Apparently the code for GORF and its two derivates rest with Bob now as well.. any chance anyone who's in contact with him can get it posted? GORF was pretty far along and I would have to see it vaporize...

I just heard back from Bob; I was traveling this week, so it was my delay in contacting him. He does have the source code, but does not feel he can release it. He will contact the 'owner' and ask if it can be released.

I wish Pacmanplus would say somthing here, even if its just to say hello....I Really miss the guy as I enjoy reading all his educational posts.......I wonder if he made any more progress with Bentley Bear...I was really looking forward to that one......Anyone have any word on the progress of that game? Is someone else finishing it?........I'm very courious.

I wish Pacmanplus would say somthing here, even if its just to say hello....I Really miss the guy as I enjoy reading all his educational posts.......I wonder if he made any more progress with Bentley Bear...I was really looking forward to that one......Anyone have any word on the progress of that game? Is someone else finishing it?........I'm very courious.

Bob has had to stop the development of any new games. At this point in time, Bob does not think that he will be able to return to Atari game development. In true ‘Bob’ fashion, he has ‘retired’ from game development with little fanfare. He recently posted the source code for all of his games so that others can use it for further game development. Although Bob is ‘retiring’ from game development, his games will continue to be played and enjoyed for many years to come.

He's already said it.

Perry (tep392) is planning to finish Bentley Bear
  • Like 2

I just purchased many Bob's games. I had planned to this many months ago but with all homebrew releases from Intellivision, Colecovisio and Atari 2600 I had to delay it a bit.

But now I just can't wait to have them and play in my Atari 7800. :)

:idea: Now that the Atari 7800 HSC season is over, maybe we could do some gaming only with Bob's games before we start a new season (of course, we can include Bob's games in the normal HSC as we did).

• Like 1

Hi Guys:

As I stated on mmervine's blog, thank you - from the bottom of my heart. :)

I'll peek my head in from time to time. In the meantime, I wanted to address some of the points brought up in the Bentley Bear thread (in that thread).

Yes, Bentley Bear will be finished by tep392 (when he has time). Aside from the background music, I feel that the game was VERY close to being complete. The 'MIDI Keyboard -> Pokey/TIA data application was completed, but it was fairly difficult to use because of a slight delay between hitting the key and producing the sound. That unfortunately makes it unusable (to me).

Thanks guys - see you all around.

Bob

EDIT - I just wated to note one thing:

Some of the games that Bob made were based on technology that was not available when the 7800 was in it's heyday...albeit it would have been amazing if it were and would have probably sparked more programmers to get on board.

This isn't true - *all* of the games I've done (including Bentley Bear at this point in time) can be (and have been) put on standard carts that Atari put out in the 80s. It only would have taken longer to develop due to the technology available now for testing and tweaking.

But again, thank you (and everyone) for the kind words. :)

• Like 14

gone for a month and this happens. Bob is the reason I got a CC2 back in the day and used my 7800 regularly because of his games. I gotta take a look at some of the later games.

Defender Arcade for the 2600 was another one of my favorites from Bob. He single handedly resurrected my interest in my 7800.

Edited by Almost Rice

• 4 weeks later...

He's back with Bentley !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

He already did Bentley before he came back and that means you can't really say he's back programming a new game. He thought the game was done in October outside of the sound. The sound improvement is going to be done by temp392. PacManPlus is only making adjustments to the game.

Edited by 8th lutz

• 1 year later...