IGNORED

You know your Atari reputation precedes you when...

Scrabbler15

I got an Intellivision and a Heavy Sixer. The Atari plays great and came with the original box and a letterhead from Atari Service stating the unit had been repaired. The Intellivision had a gimpy contriller that was easily fixed and it is a great machine too. There were some cartridges too but they were so common I forgot what they were.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've visited several times a flea's market, and there is a guy that sells mostly Nintendo 64 cartridges and he has some Atari cartridges from time on time. When I come and he see me he sometimes says "how are you? now I don't have of the rare Atari cartridges you like" :lol:

• Like 1

My reputation precedes me frequently too. I'm not only into retro games, I also collect old computers. More than once I've had random co-workers approach me offering old hardware...

Other problem - I also *fix* things. So that reputation seems to precede me more often than not, being asked by random people to repair game consoles, computers, televisions, arcade games, etc. Usually I enjoy fixing things, but it does get a little old. Some people just want to be friends long enough for me to fix their stuff, and that's very annoying.

-Ian

• Like 1

Other problem - I also *fix* things. So that reputation seems to precede me more often than not, being asked by random people to repair game consoles, computers, televisions, arcade games, etc. Usually I enjoy fixing things, but it does get a little old. Some people just want to be friends long enough for me to fix their stuff, and that's very annoying.

-Ian

That's why I tell people that the parts to repair it would be more than what they want to pay, and they usually just dump their stuff on me.

"Atari with a frayed RF? You can ebay the part for like 5 bucks shipped to you... "

"Aww, I didn't want to put any money into it"

Just last week I got a PSOne with 4 games... no power cord. Easy enough to replace, right? Even if not, 4 free games is fine too.

• Like 1

Can I be your friend? By the way I have this TV that won't turn on....

Haha. Pretty much. One time someone managed to get me to rewire a motorcycle. When asked, I pointed out that I know *nothing* of motorcycles, I don't even know how to ride one. He managed to convince me that hey, it was just wiring, like in anything else... Yeah - never again. That was a royal PITA. Trying to get all those wires threaded through the chassis, secured so they won't catch on anything, all joints weatherproofed, etc. Ugh.

And yeah, he never calls me or wants to do anything... unless something of his is broken. Don't hear from him for months, then "Hey, my TV won't turn on"... yes, really. (Bad capacitors on the LV power supply, yes, I fixed it, no, I don't know why).

-Ian