IGNORED

Modded Sega Genesis pad for rotary control of Tempest 2000

thevnaguy

well maybe charge 40 or 45 plus shipping ??

the main problem with pricing is the cost of the genesis controller fluctuates so much. I found a local souce that wants 10 bucks a peice for them which is way high. online the cheapest model 1 controller I have found is 8 bucks shipped. The mod is more cost effective if the controller is under 5 bucks. otherwise it is priced to high to generate interest. With just parts and labor (no shipping or contoller) is around 25 dollars.

So If I am sent a controller I could probably do it for 30 dollars (that includes return shipping), To get a controller from me the final cost would depend on how cheaply I can source one. Minimum would be 35 shipped, maximum would be 45 shipped.

so dont know how cost effective it would be for someone to buy considering you can get a modded Jag controller with Rotary control on GameGavel.com for around the same price I would have to charge for this dedicated controller. I know the guy selling the modded Jag Controllers on Gamegavel and Ebay, they are good controllers, he does great work. I have one of his video cables for my jaguar and it works great.

I have enough parts to build 2 more controllers but am holding off building any more until I get some more feedback on this latest dedicated controller mod (first one was the Epyx 500XJ converstion, which I still have my prototype that is functional) The only downside to this controller mod is the A,B and C buttons on the Genesis are reversed compared to the Jaguar. So if you hook up the wiring as if it is in a Jag controller the up is down in the bonus stage. This prototype I have is configured this way to match the A, B and C wiring of the Jag controller. It is easily reversed. If I build another one I may take a poll on how the buttons should be wired (A to A, B to B, C to C like the Jag, or reversed A to C, B to B, C to A)

I may just to another mod video like I did for the Jaguar Controller so other people can just order the parts themselves and do the modification.

the main problem with pricing is the cost of the genesis controller fluctuates so much. I found a local souce that wants 10 bucks a peice for them which is way high. online the cheapest model 1 controller I have found is 8 bucks shipped. The mod is more cost effective if the controller is under 5 bucks. otherwise it is priced to high to generate interest. With just parts and labor (no shipping or contoller) is around 25 dollars.

You might be able to find deals on NIB Majesco-era six-button controllers in bulk. Normally I think they are $5 - $8 a pop. They are kind of crappy in comparison to the official Sega-produced models (in terms of feel) and therefore would be more worthy of gutting. Plus there shouldn't be much of a quality difference if it's mainly just the PCB you need.

You might be able to find deals on NIB Majesco-era six-button controllers in bulk. Normally I think they are $5 - $8 a pop. They are kind of crappy in comparison to the official Sega-produced models (in terms of feel) and therefore would be more worthy of gutting. Plus there shouldn't be much of a quality difference if it's mainly just the PCB you need.

I tried moding one of those already, they do not work out well. Thanks for the tip though!

Project is on hold right now,

I just discovered a glitch using a dedicated controller. Since it is not using the multiplexer chip like the jag controller does, you cannot press the A, B or C buttons at the same time. You can only depress them individually.

putting this project on the back burner for now. Will have to hook a scope of to a jag controller and watch the signals so I can see if I can duplicate it in a dedicated controller and then try again.

Well, I have a 74HC244N chip on order :) will build another one using this chip inside so the buttons can be pressed at the same time during gameplay. did some research last night and believe I can get this to work now as it should. The extra parts only add about a buck to the construction. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

I think you would be surprised at how many people in the Jag community would buy it at $35 - $45 because it is a unique Jaguar item. Some of the rotary controllers out there have gotten a little crazy. I really like my Chaos Reins controller. As long as the design seems sensible I would be willing to buy it. Personally I think the genesis controller mod has a real nice and pro look to it. Also, a lot of people love the genesis controller.