IGNORED

Intellivision Christmas memories

mr_intv

It was either Christmas of 1983 or 1984, I can't really remember. It was the same year that Cabbage Patch kids came out as I got the intv and my sister the CPK. I was either 11 or 12 and I wanted that Intv so badly. I'm sure the look on my face was priceless when I first opened up not an Intellivision....but a Intellivision II. Wow, I was in awe, also included was Lock N Chase, Bomb Squad and the Intellivoce. Boxing and Night Stalker soon followed in the coming days and I can vividly remember begging my MOTHER to put down Night Stalker so I could have a turn. That's right, my mother! She recently told me that she would play that when us kids were in school. I had no idea back then. We even had some good ol family bouts of Boxing.....as long as I was the Tan boxer I was happy. My original collection grew to 40 games.....and in an act of stupidity I gave it away in 1988 because I now had a NES. I've since got my current collection up to 115 original releases and all the homebrews since Donkey Kong Arcade. To this day I can't believe I gave that collection away.....everything CIB.....including Super Cobra......that game eludes me to this day....and I HAD it.

• Like 1

Great story! We sold out intellivision at a garage sale or something. I remember back in 2000 or 2001? I re-bought an intellivision on ebay and then the next year I sold it since i has into the gamecube and xbox and FPS games.......it wasnt until 2007/8 i got back into retro games and havent left since or ever will. So much better games, but I like the new games as well...mostly Nintendo franchises and racing game these days.

same here i got the intv around he cpk time. i got an intv my sister was suppose to fet a cbk, but the the guy who was selling cbk clones got busted and my sisyer ended up with something else. I remember cbk sold put in NYC so clones cme out of chinatown and they had specil police forces to try and shut them down. but i did care i had my intv. I also had safe cracker and i had b17 bomber which my favorite game.

Edited by voltron

The following Christmas Santa brought me Popeye and I think Bump n Jump. I was a huge fan of The All New Popeye Show on Saturday mornings so this game was the most amazing game I had ever seen. Until I seen the arcade version that is. lol my local kijiji has a Popeye coin op for $900. If only I had the space....

When I was a kid, we had: popeye, white water,frogger, beauty and the beast, armor battle,pitfall,donkey kong, night stalker, triple action and some others, i cant remember. but we also traded carts with another family so we got to play alot of different games.

The following Christmas Santa brought me Popeye and I think Bump n Jump. I was a huge fan of The All New Popeye Show on Saturday mornings so this game was the most amazing game I had ever seen. Until I seen the arcade version that is. lol my local kijiji has a Popeye coin op for $900. If only I had the space....

Bump n jump i like bc i learned the cheat back then when cheats were not popular. I remember applying it to the real arcade and it worked, and i got ten dollars i betted a friend that i would beat at the game. :) popeye is now my second favorite game.

Yea, I came across the cheat in bump n jump by fluke back in the day....I was the only one in our house who could pull it off, everyone else would still crash as they attempted it. It was great!

From that game i learned to find cheats in many games. I remember in pinball i found trick where I could basically get unlimited points. and in lv poker i learned how to predict the results. I think every intellivision game has sme sort of exploit.

I got my Intellivision, not in Christmas, but as a reward for passing the grade at school. It was supposed to be for getting good grades, but I was so lazy and bad at school that my Grandfather was just happy I wasn't held back a grade!

This must have been early summer around 1979 or 1980, I was 9 or ten years old.

Anyway, he took me to the local AV store (I've forgotten the name), and bought it for me. I remember it came with a LV Poker & Blackjack inside, and we bought one or two extra games, probably a space one.

I took it home, and then I had to wait for my Father, to hook it up. A few days later he still hadn't hooked it up! So I took the liberty of doing it myself. It worked! (I thought I was going to get in trouble with my Father for usurping his "job" of being man of the house, hooker-upper-of-electronics.)

That Christmas I got two or three more games (I have really bad memory), including Tennis. I remember Tennis because I played it a lot with my sister.

My collection eventually grew to about 50 games. My mother made me throw all the boxes away ("they take too much space," she said), but I had the carts, manuals, and overlays.

As I grew older and gained other interests, it collected dust in the closet, and I eventually lent it to a girlfriend when I was in high school. When we broke up, I always intended to go back and pick it up, but never did.

I regret that.

-dZ.

Here's another story. Again, it's not precisely a Christmas story, but since my birthday is in December as well, I'll count it as so.

The year was 1982, and I had heard that Coleco had released a brand new version of Donkey Kong for the Intellivision (I guess you can see where this is going). This is Donkey Kong, THE DONKEY KONG! I've been playing this game like crazy at the local arcade (well, watching the big kids play it, because I seldom had quarters).

When it came time for my Grandfather to take me shopping for a birthday present, I ran towards the video games in Sears and picked up my very own copy of DONKEY KONG. I was so excited! I mean it's DONKEY KONG ferchrisssake!

That night I was spending the night with my Grandparents, but my Intellivision was at home. I remember begging my Grandparents to go to my house to pick up my Intellivision. I was desperate, I could barely sleep that night. I remember reading the box and the manual (and even the cartridge sticker) over and over and over, absorbing every bit of it. I recall seeing the screenshots on the back of the box, and feeling a bit uneasy, but I figured that they were just bad shots. The game is still Donkey Kong, so it must be just a bad picture.

The next day finally came and I got to go home to my Intellivision. I ripped the box open (actually, it already was), and plugged in the cartridge and turned on the machine and... and... and...

Uh... Donkey Kong? Really? No way! What the fsck is this??

I forced myself to play it and enjoy it, mostly because I've been dreaming about this moment for so long that I could not bare be so disappointed. However, deep down inside I was crushed.

To this day, I blame Coleco for ruining big chunks of my childhood. Oh, yes, ruin it did. That's not all: the biggest insult came a bit later (Christmas?), when Joey, that snotty kid in my neighborhood, with divorced parents that overindulged him and bought him one of everything (and sometimes two of each!); he got a ColecoVision and invited me over to show me his version of Donkey Kong (yes, to show me; he was a dick like that.)

Damn you Coleco! it wasn't enough to ruin my birthday present, but to arm Joey with more presumptuous arrogance! That's just unconscionable.

It wasn't until Carl's version came along that this transgressions were redressed.

-dZ.

• Like 4

Here's another story. Again, it's not precisely a Christmas story, but since my birthday is in December as well, I'll count it as so.

The year was 1982, and I had heard that Coleco had released a brand new version of Donkey Kong for the Intellivision (I guess you can see where this is going). This is Donkey Kong, THE DONKEY KONG! I've been playing this game like crazy at the local arcade (well, watching the big kids play it, because I seldom had quarters).

When it came time for my Grandfather to take me shopping for a birthday present, I ran towards the video games in Sears and picked up my very own copy of DONKEY KONG. I was so excited! I mean it's DONKEY KONG ferchrisssake!

That night I was spending the night with my Grandparents, but my Intellivision was at home. I remember begging my Grandparents to go to my house to pick up my Intellivision. I was desperate, I could barely sleep that night. I remember reading the box and the manual (and even the cartridge sticker) over and over and over, absorbing every bit of it. I recall seeing the screenshots on the back of the box, and feeling a bit uneasy, but I figured that they were just bad shots. The game is still Donkey Kong, so it must be just a bad picture.

The next day finally came and I got to go home to my Intellivision. I ripped the box open (actually, it already was), and plugged in the cartridge and turned on the machine and... and... and...

Uh... Donkey Kong? Really? No way! What the fsck is this??

I forced myself to play it and enjoy it, mostly because I've been dreaming about this moment for so long that I could not bare be so disappointed. However, deep down inside I was crushed.

To this day, I blame Coleco for ruining big chunks of my childhood. Oh, yes, ruin it did. That's not all: the biggest insult came a bit later (Christmas?), when Joey, that snotty kid in my neighborhood, with divorced parents that overindulged him and bought him one of everything (and sometimes two of each!); he got a ColecoVision and invited me over to show me his version of Donkey Kong (yes, to show me; he was a dick like that.)

Damn you Coleco! it wasn't enough to ruin my birthday present, but to arm Joey with more presumptuous arrogance! That's just unconscionable.

It wasn't until Carl's version came along that this transgressions were redressed.

-dZ.

Well i had a snot nose kid neighbor, who had every toy as soon as it came out. he had one room dedicated to his toy alone. it was like a,toy shop. but he was a dick. he would say wanna play and if you said yes, he woukd then say get your own game. My parents were dirt poor and all i would get most xmas simple toys. i recall one years just getting a box of crayons. But living in the ghetto of brooklyn it really didnt bug me bc many of my friend s where in the same boat dirt poor parents. so many never got anything. Also back then it seemed more fun to play stick ball than toys. That ine year that i got the intellivision that was a shock, in retrospect i think the console was hot bc i know there was now way my dad could have afforded it back in the day, bc he only made 500 a week and the system sold for like 150. also i recall my dad made me work i had a paper route, so i was making money, but i,only got to keep 10 dollars the rest went to rent ( my dad charged me rent ) i use to hate it bc cause i wanted to buy games but as an adult i see that my dad was just trying to make ends meet... but it was all good in the long run bc i developed a work ethic. I went back to brooklyn in 2000 to see my old neighbor hood and that spoiled snot nose kid now adult is there. He ended up dropping outmof school after high school, divorced twice and has child support after him. So in hindsight they spoiled the kid so much that as an adult hemmust of felt a sense of entitlement that he never developed a work ethic or a desire of self improvement.

Well i had a snot nose kid neighbor, who had every toy as soon as it came out. he had one room dedicated to his toy alone. it was like a,toy shop. but he was a dick. he would say wanna play and if you said yes, he woukd then say get your own game. My parents were dirt poor and all i would get most xmas simple toys. i recall one years just getting a box of crayons. But living in the ghetto of brooklyn it really didnt bug me bc many of my friend s where in the same boat dirt poor parents. so many never got anything. Also back then it seemed more fun to play stick ball than toys. That ine year that i got the intellivision that was a shock, in retrospect i think the console was hot bc i know there was now way my dad could have afforded it back in the day, bc he only made 500 a week and the system sold for like 150. also i recall my dad made me work i had a paper route, so i was making money, but i,only got to keep 10 dollars the rest went to rent ( my dad charged me rent ) i use to hate it bc cause i wanted to buy games but as an adult i see that my dad was just trying to make ends meet... but it was all good in the long run bc i developed a work ethic. I went back to brooklyn in 2000 to see my old neighbor hood and that spoiled snot nose kid now adult is there. He ended up dropping outmof school after high school, divorced twice and has child support after him. So in hindsight they spoiled the kid so much that as an adult hemmust of felt a sense of entitlement that he never developed a work ethic or a desire of self improvement.

And you, on the other hand, appear to have turned out very well.

Another Intellivision success story! :)

• Like 1

Yea, I came across the cheat in bump n jump by fluke back in the day....I was the only one in our house who could pull it off, everyone else would still crash as they attempted it. It was great!

This is the cheat where you ride on the edge of the screen, right? I just found out about that. :D Does the game ever end, or just keep going forever?

I got my Intellivision 2 with a Burgertime pack in Christmas in 83. I still have it and and still works to this day. But i don't play on my orginial console anymore. I have other Intv systems to play on. Back then, i had Astrosmash, Dungeons and dragons cloudy mountain, and a few other ones. Still my favorite system to this day.

• Like 1

" Then, I must ask: why the name? Shouldn't it be Intellivision2609dude82? :) " LOL :)

I got my intellivision very early, spring of 1980. I had 12 games or less for a long time. I kept them in a hockey skate box under the tv stand.

No one in my area had an intellivision but me.. One of my mom's co-workers had one for her kids. They let me borrow Utopia.

I kept it for as long as possible! My friend David and I would play it all the time. He was a 2600 kid, so we would kill each other at our own system's games.

However, Utopia was a very good battle for us, being a non action game, he could use the overlay and we would play a fair game!

This got him into intellivision as well. Then he learned the contoller and things were great!

Oh yeah, Christmas.... I had to give back Utopia and for months I did not have it to play... But that Christmas, I got Utopia and Sub Hunt!

It was awesome because Utopia is awesome and Sub Hunt was an actual 1 player game!!!!!!

Looking back, I am shocked how much I liked Utopia as a 11/12 year old kid. I'll bet Mattel's marketing didn't have David and I as the target audience either.

David ended up with an intellivision... In the mid 80's I gave him some great xmas gifts.. Slam Dunk, Slap Shot and a few others. I didn't even have these games.... But we used to share them anyway!

We didn't play intellivision that much after that...Then other "interests" came about...Then college and life... Haven't seen Dave more than 2 or 3 time in the past 25 years... I'll have to send him something intellivsion this xmas..OUT OF THE BLUE!!!

Merry Christmas to all....

• Like 1

" Then, I must ask: why the name? Shouldn't it be Intellivision2609dude82? :) " LOL :)

I got my intellivision very early, spring of 1980. I had 12 games or less for a long time. I kept them in a hockey skate box under the tv stand.

No one in my area had an intellivision but me.. One of my mom's co-workers had one for her kids. They let me borrow Utopia.

I kept it for as long as possible! My friend David and I would play it all the time. He was a 2600 kid, so we would kill each other at our own system's games.

However, Utopia was a very good battle for us, being a non action game, he could use the overlay and we would play a fair game!

This got him into intellivision as well. Then he learned the contoller and things were great!

Oh yeah, Christmas.... I had to give back Utopia and for months I did not have it to play... But that Christmas, I got Utopia and Sub Hunt!

It was awesome because Utopia is awesome and Sub Hunt was an actual 1 player game!!!!!!

Looking back, I am shocked how much I liked Utopia as a 11/12 year old kid. I'll bet Mattel's marketing didn't have David and I as the target audience either.

David ended up with an intellivision... In the mid 80's I gave him some great xmas gifts.. Slam Dunk, Slap Shot and a few others. I didn't even have these games.... But we used to share them anyway!

We didn't play intellivision that much after that...Then other "interests" came about...Then college and life... Haven't seen Dave more than 2 or 3 time in the past 25 years... I'll have to send him something intellivsion this xmas..OUT OF THE BLUE!!!

Merry Christmas to all....

Great story! Thanks for sharing it.

-dZ.

That's not all: the biggest insult came a bit later (Christmas?), when Joey, that snotty kid in my neighborhood, with divorced parents that overindulged him and bought him one of everything (and sometimes two of each!); he got a ColecoVision and invited me over to show me his version of Donkey Kong (yes, to show me; he was a dick like that.)

I wonder if joey is still around where you could show him you finally one-upped him with D2K?

..in retrospect i think the console was hot bc I know there was now way my dad could have afforded it back in the day, bc he only made 500 a week and the system sold for like 150.

$500 a week in early 80's was decent cash.

Because at the time i signed up on this forum I was on a Atari 5200 kick, that is my second favorite system. lol

This was discussed in a previous thread, the name change.... Time to change your name to INTV2609dude78 (78 is theyear prototypes existed) :)

Intellivisiondude changed his name you can too

Edited by voltron

I can also remember playing NFL football against a friend of mine. We played a complete game once and only once. It seemed to take forever.....I lost by a late td 84-77. After that our games consisted of just a single quarter, same in hockey....we would play a single period. We would have some epic battles in baseball/world ch baseball though, that was a very fun game to play when you matched up against someone who had the same skill level as you. Same with sea battle, such a fun game to play when your opponent knew what he was doing. My 8 yr old son has started showing a wee bit of interest in the Intv now that I've been playing Christmas Carol, maybe it's time to school him in sea battle....