IGNORED

Insecticide for 2600

atari2600land

If you've been following the Virtual Boy homebrew scene, you may notice that I have been working on a Virtual Boy game called "Insecticide." Seeing that the only REAL fighting games on the 2600 are that wrestling one and KO Cruiser, I've decided to port Insecticide to the 2600. Right now, it's in its early stages. All you can do is move left or right to choose a fighter. The way I want the choosing fighter screens to be set up are when a fighter comes into view, he walks in and when another joystick is pressed, walks out and another insect fighter comes into view. Since Gi-Ant is the only fighter I've designed so far, he just keeps walking out and in and in and out of view. I have spent at least 4 hours on this, most of the time perfecting Gi-Ant's music. I am wondering if someone could design the rest of the fighters (or if you want, redesign Gi-Ant so he looks better.) The music for Rumblebee should be easier to program in since there are no repeating notes. (I bet the whole choosing a fighter/opponent sequence will be 8k alone!) And I'll be using the pfscore bars as health meters. And if you're wondering why the score says BANANA, I changed Aegis to Banana (a parody of Apple.)

insecticide1.bas.bin

You can now choose Rumblebee. This might be a placeholder if someone can do better. The game doesn't really do much except for choosing the fighter between Gi-Ant and Rumblebee. The other names of characters to be designed are Behe-Moth, Slaying Mantis, Meleedy-bug, Killipede, Superfly, and Panzer Dragonfly. If you do plan on designing anything, be sure to make notice that I'm using NUSIZ0=$07, which makes the sprites four times larger. I tried my best to convert "Flight of the Bumblebee" to the Atari 2600, but there isn't a G sharp (A flat) in the fifth octave of most "instruments." So I just deleted all the G sharps in the fifth octave, and I put it in an instrument that sounds a lot like a bee buzzing (AUDC0=1).

insecticide2.bas.bin

• Like 1

Today's update is a title screen where, once the fighters are designed, they will parade around the screen randomly, much like they do right now, only there will be 8 instead of 2. At least I hope 8. I may have to scale back and use 6 or 4 (after all, this is Atari 2600 we're talking about, not the Virtual Boy...) I think I'll have enough space to do what I want to do with the first 4k, which is a title screen and both player's picking of fighters. To start the game (what there is of it), at the title screen, push the fire button. I have a little idea of how to control the fighters. Up jumps (or activates wings of a winged insect), left and right moves the fighter left and right, and down kicks. Fire is a punch. (I'm not sure about down and fire yet, this is just an idea.) Anyway, I have noticed people downloading this, please comment and tell me whether I should go further with this. I don't want to work on this if there isn't enough enthusiasm.

insecticide3.bas.bin

• 1 year later...

I've decided to start this from scratch again. All I have so far is the title screen, where Gi-Ant is parading around the word "INSECTICIDE" with music playing. In my opinion, it is a lot better than the one I had been working on. The two two-digit numbers will be the health (once it gets to 00, you're dead.) I don't know what the 6-digit number can be though. I hope to do this better than the VB version. If I need 64k to get everything in that's in the VB version, then I'll do that.

insecticide1vcs.bas

insecticide1vcs.bas.bin