BillyHW

Z80 vs. 6502

I can't locate any info on page 36 about the SY6516..

I found a Follow Up Article here on PDF Pages 69-76:

http://archive.6502.org/publications/micro/micro_34_mar_1981.pdf

MarkO

I copied that from a post somewhere else. I don't think I found it either when I tried to look it up.

There was supposedly an article in infoworld or some other trade magazine at the time.

I thought I found it at one time, but I did another search and couldn't find anything.

On 11/25/2012 at 5:06 PM, BillyHW said:

The vast majority of the systems in the late 70s and early 80s were built around these 8-bit CPUs. Could anyone with programming or engineering experience from that era chime in with what some of the advantages and disadvantages or each chip were? Which do you think was better? For computing? For gaming?

Here's a quick list that I can think of. Please correct me where I'm wrong and add your own that I've missed.

Z80:

Adam/ColecoVision

Sega SG-1000

Sega Master System

MSX

most early arcade games

Game Boy

Game Gear

Astrocade

(Also listed as a coprocessor on many 16-bit arcades/consoles)

6502:

Atari 2600

Atari 8-bit computers/5200

Apple II

NES/Famicom

Atari Lynx

Commodore 64

PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16/Duo/Express

The Commodore 128 was unique in that it had both a Z80 and a 6502.

And what ever happened to Zilong and MOS? Why were they never able to translate their success in the 8-bit market over into the 16-bit market and beyond?

Just a small clarification, the atari 2600 used a 6507, the commodore 64 used a 6510, the Commodore 128 used an 8502 CPU (all are 6502 derivatives, though)

To misquote Mr Bill Mensch jr. ,” I’m not sure why my competitors didn’t make a superior product? They could have, but they didn’t. It was 2 to 4 times better than the other guy. Did Wozniak know that? I don’t know. When you make something the best you can do it, and nobody can do it better. You know that. We did the best possible Architecture at 8 bits, and we knew that.”

It’s at about 1 hour 50 minutes.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:32 PM, adamchevy said:

To misquote Mr Bill Mensch jr. ,” I’m not sure why my competitors didn’t make a superior product? They could have, but they didn’t. It was 2 to 4 times better than the other guy. Did Wozniak know that? I don’t know. When you make something the best you can do it, and nobody can do it better. You know that. We did the best possible Architecture at 8 bits, and we knew that.”

Pretty sure Bill is biased. 
2 to 4 times better how?  In clock cycles vs Z80, or in number of additional instructions required vs 6809.  :P
The Z80 works differently, so it's normally clocked at least twice as fast because a lot of the clock cycles are internal. Pretty sure Bill knows that.
As has already been mentioned, 6809 code is around 30% smaller. 
And ask Bill why everyone else added a hardware multiply on later CPUs, but he never did.  The 6803 had multiply, and it supposedly first reached customers in 1977.

This, originally 2012 thread seems to get resurrected every two years by first time posters we'll probably never see again.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Bill is biased. 

2 to 4 times better how?  In clock cycles vs Z80, or in number of additional instructions required vs 6809. 

The Z80 works differently, so it's normally clocked at least twice as fast because a lot of the clock cycles are internal. Pretty sure Bill knows that.

As has already been mentioned, 6809 code is around 30% smaller. 

And ask Bill why everyone else added a hardware multiply on later CPUs, but he never did.  The 6803 had multiply, and it supposedly first reached customers in 1977.

This, originally 2012 thread seems to get resurrected every two years by first time posters we'll probably never see again.

Probably not. But atleast its fun to learn new things about these old processors.

I think the 6809 is in the Vectrex and is capable of 16 bit instructions? My memory is a bit fuzzy. It’s been a while since I studied the 6809.

I’m sure Bill is very Biased. Success and Millions of dollars has a way of doing that I’d bet.

Side note, my daughter who is 13 learned the word bias in school last year. She said we all have our BY Asses, you wave goodby to them every time they walk away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1