IGNORED

Controller Alternatives Redux

LynxVGL

So I was digging through the forum looking for cohesive thoughts on alternative to the standard CV Controller and this is the consensus I have kind of reached:

(A Bit of history: My CV Standard ADAM Grey Controllers work fine. Except for the toll they take on your hand. Space Fury = Pain. My SAC's are pretty much dead at this point...)

Sega Genesis D-Pad (Great for one button games.)

Atari 7800 Proline D-Pad (Great for two button games if you have the right Y-Adapter)

Atari 7800 Joystick (No consensus based on the general hate for this controller)

SAC (Love it or Leave It)

Atari 2600 Joystick (Great for one button games.)

I don't have any of the good ole' Atari Products anymore, and can't afford the wonderful new Arcade Controller that just shipped.

What is the CURRENT feeling on alternative controllers? I'm leaning toward a 7800 Proline D-Pad but am confused by some of the posts. Is a Y-Cable really needed or can you use Controller 2 for game selection? Some say yes, some say no...

Or is it better to get a Yurkie refurb Ball Joystick or a refurb or "new" eBay SAC. I'm in the minority but I kind of like the SAC's. (Mine have rotating joysticks and the triggers are not reliable at all anymore. I don't have the awesome time or patience or skill of many of the Retro Gang to open them up an rebuild them too.)

Any other Controller Options that I'm missing?

Only thing that could be better with the Yurkie refurbs is if he would put fire buttons on the top surface. This would eliminate the need to wrench your wrist underneath the controller to reach buttons on both sides.

OP: Wico made a Colecovision stick that you can find on ebay from time to time. Also, there is another company that made a disc controller similar to the Intellivision pad.

I'm glad you put this information together, LynxVGL. I have to say you hit the nail on the head with your descriptive list!

I'm not sure where this idea of a "Y" adapter comes into play with the 7800 D-pad, other than that this would allow you to use the Champ controller, or a standard CV keypad. The Atari 7800 D-pad is my preferred of all your choices for off-the-shelf availability.

Been meaning to try Yurkified controllers. They sound terrific.

SAC are just not happening for me. Had an NIB set years ago, and I just never could get used to them

My key solution would be a modified Sega Genesis controller (I have several of them but never could get the wiring down correctly because the boards are all different), along with a Champ keypad. Still on the hunt for a Champ.

As for a joystick based winner, people are talking about this Quickshot III, and I've yet to see what it can do. I also glimpsed the Wico Command Control (joystick at the top of a keypad). I'd love to hear some feedback on this one!

post-28334-0-31473700-1353956226.gif

IMO , the best joystick ever is the ATARI CX 24.

atari-2600-cx24.jpg

I guess it is the one you described as " Atari 7800 Joystick (No consensus based on the general hate for this controller)"

But for me it is really the all time best joystick ever made!. I use mine since 1983 . It is indistructible!. I used it on my colecovision, C64 , Atari St , Amiga then with all computers of my collection able to use it ... Ataris , MSX , Oric, etc...etc.. I bought it originally in order to be able to play decathlon without broke a joystick each time!.

Few year ago, i bought few others new in box , but it seems early production was far better quality than the later. ... Surely some cost reduction on the way...

Otherwise, for colecovision, Yurkie modifified stick are very good too.

You can also use Spectravideo quickshot 1 and 2 (but you need to modify the cablage to be able to have 2 independent fire buttons working on colecovision )

IMO , the best joystick ever is the ATARI CX 24.

atari-2600-cx24.jpg

I guess it is the one you described as " Atari 7800 Joystick (No consensus based on the general hate for this controller)"

The general hate comes from the 7800 forum where the stick doesn't get much love. Do both fire buttons work independently on a Colecovision? Cosmic Avenger works ok for instance? The 7800 Joysticks are MUCH cheaper to score than the 7800 D-Pad, but getting reliable, current info on their use on a Colecovision has been spotty.

(BTW- 150th post! Woot!)

Edited by LynxVGL

I think it only depends on the size of your hand and finger and your habits.

Colecovision was my first console , before having it , i played with Friends's VCS , each time i had cramps in hand after a while.

When i go the colecovision, at first i did'nt like the joystick , and then i found a position for my hand that worked well and i became totally addict to this kind of handle. It is why , when i was looking for a joystick that could resist to Decathlon , i bought the 7800 one because the handling was almost the same than colecovision one.

To answer to LynxGL , no , at least with first generation ones you don't have 2 independant buttons. you have to hack the joystick to have that. But it is relativly easy. I bought my CX 24 before the 7800 be released , as the 7800 manage 2 buttons, may be the one provided with US console have 2 independant buttons , i don't know.

• Like 1

I have been wanting to use my battlestation II but have had no luck.

Does the BS2 have an Atari 2600 mode? if yes, then perhaps it should work as 1 button controller. I like using a modified Neo Geo controller for 8 way games. For Pac-man Collection I have the same controller but with Seimitsu LS-33 stick with 4 way gate. Perhaps I can convince the brother in law to make a proper 4 way gate for the NG's stick, as this would be even better as the controller has less throw and is very quick which is needed for PMC.

Genesis controller is also very good, when hacked into an original CV controller, else I think keypad on controller 2 can be used.

I was thinking about building a Neo Geo controller with a built in CV keypad, but the key pads I use are little too big (2.2 inches x 3.0 inches), but all in one design would be kind of neat. Perhaps someone knows of a source for very small common ground keypads?

I found a Grayhill 83AC1-101 that is 1.6x2.1

Edited by grips03