IGNORED

Moles

GroovyBee

You may have seen the fact that my "Mystery Game" would be demoed for the jag at eJagFest 2012. Well..... This is it :-

post-21935-0-56575100-1353928664_thumb.pngpost-21935-0-92190900-1353928669_thumb.png

post-21935-0-17041300-1353928677_thumb.pngpost-21935-0-86333200-1353928693_thumb.png

post-21935-0-92637500-1353928700_thumb.png

post-21935-0-99322000-1353928708_thumb.pngpost-21935-0-87293200-1353928715_thumb.png

To complete each level you are given a number of moles (a percentage of which much make it home alive), a time limit and a limited selection of mole abilities to use. So far you can command the moles to sit down, stand up, jump, push, hand them a parachute, dig across, dig down, climb ropes and build bridges.

Moles can walk over switches to open/close vertical and horizontal doors as well as use pushable objects like TVs and TNT to fill holes or create explosions.

On their way home the moles may get trapped, fall to their deaths, drown, catch fire or even die in fiendish automated machines. Its up to the player to make a path through the level to guide them home safely.

So far there are 20 levels spread over three difficulty levels.

Still to do :-

Replace programmer art with a real pixel artist's work.

More mole actions (maybe).

Add a real user interface to select difficulty, levels, and see the resources given.

Create at least another 60 levels.

Add ST mouse support.

Allow levels to be unlocked as you make more progress in the game.

Add more animations, sound effects and music.

Create an attract sequence.

Probably a ton of other behind the scenes stuff as well ;).

Just in case anybody was wondering this was actually my first Jag game. Duckie, Mars Rover and Star Raiders came afterwards.

I'm hoping to release a cart version of the game after summer next year if all goes well.

• Like 14

GroovyBee showed me the game, it's very promising. You can never go wrong with Lemmings-inspired gameplay, and for me being a bit of a graphics whore I like it that the sprites in Moles are bigger than the tiny Lemmings. GroovyBee definitely doesn't start things on the Jaguar slowly with some "Hello World" mini game, he immerdiately goes for high quality stuff. :) This will be a must-have for Jag-fans.

• Like 5

Thanks for the compliments so far folks.

(looks strangely familiar, though... hmmmm ;))

Hmmm... I don't know what you mean.... :ponder: ;) :lol: As a side note some of the background level graphics came directly from Ari Feldman's SpriteLib and some more were further adapted or made by me. I already have a pixel artist on board the project so it'll look much better than it does now. From memory SpriteLib was also used in one of the previous jagcode contests too.

GroovyBee showed me the game, it's very promising. You can never go wrong with Lemmings-inspired gameplay, and for me being a bit of a graphics whore I like it that the sprites in Moles are bigger than the tiny Lemmings. GroovyBee definitely doesn't start things on the Jaguar slowly with some "Hello World" mini game, he immerdiately goes for high quality stuff. :) This will be a must-have for Jag-fans.

Thanks for the fantastic compliment :D. When the new in game graphics are available I'll update the thread. However there is no fixed date for that to happen yet. As I mentioned in the first post the game still needs quite a bit of work.

Awesome! I've been dying for a Lemmings type game for the Jag! Can't wait to see it!

Certainly Moles looks to be a real close to Lemmings, but what about Dino Dudes? Isn't it a "Lemmings type game?"

However, I've never played Lemmings, and Moles looks very similiar to Dino Dudes to me. In Lemmings isn't the aim to keep the little idiots from dying by creating a safe path, rather than making them do stuff to get through the level safely like Dino Dudes and apparently Moles? And although it's an overhead view game, I think Attack of the Mutant Penguins is more like Lemmings in many ways.

Edited by Gunstar

Dino Dudes is a platform puzzler, you have direct control over the 'dudes' Lemmings you get a swarm of lemmings that will happily walk to their death, you can perform simple instructions and apply them to an individual lemming, where it will keep doing that as long as it can, and then return to walking like a muppet. Moles is similar to Lemmings.

So no, Dino Dudes is nothing like Lemmings or Moles.

HTH

• Like 6

• 3 years later...

Projects like this go one of two ways:

1) It was years ago, I've lost interest since then or hit some technical road block.

2) Been steadily working on this.

Being that the last entry was four years ago, probably the first category.

[see also ST Star Raiders.]

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 2